NCL is heartless!!!!!!!!!!!

Coby25

I’m really sorry for your situation and wish you the best of luck. From their perspective, if they paid out the insurance benefit for people who didn’t pay a premium, no one would purchase the cruise insurance. So sorry this happened and hope you get better soon and can take a vacation soon.

Ditto - same as my thoughts.:)

Thank you...there are some really nice people out there!

It is what it is with NCL.....I think I was surprised with the coldness of the way their response was written. Last year a friend of mine cancelled last minute due to a death in the family-it was another cruise line-they did not give a refund but were very accommodating to helping her plan another trip!

Also, my formal letter to NCL did not contain !!!!!!!!!!!!! like one poster stated....it was a formal letter not a post on a message board!

Thank you...there are some really nice people out there!

It is what it is with NCL.....I think I was surprised with the coldness of the way their response was written. Last year a friend of mine cancelled last minute due to a death in the family-it was another cruise line-they did not give a refund but were very accommodating to helping her plan another trip!

Also, my formal letter to NCL did not contain !!!!!!!!!!!!! like one poster stated....it was a formal letter not a post on a message board!

First and foremost get as much information about your condition as possible to make an informed decision about your treatment. Not sure what exactly you have done so far with NCL, A letter mailed with documentation (doctor) as to your situation might go along way. For those that say you won't get anything from NCL, well recently I got a credit from Allegiant Airlines, they are notorious for not giving you back anything.

I think the point being in-artfully made is that most costs associated with a cruise are already paid. Missing the cruise doesn't cost you any MORE money, so you are not worse off financially than you would have been had you made it on the cruise. You are, however, out a vacation and not recouping the cost may mean no "make-up" vacation for you. Medical emergencies, accidents, trip delay costs, etc. once you are ON your cruise do rack up additional costs though, and that can be more financially devastating, depending on the severity of the situation.

Thanks Jamie :)

I think the point being in-artfully made is that most costs associated with a cruise are already paid. Missing the cruise doesn't cost you any MORE money, so you are not worse off financially than you would have been had you made it on the cruise. You are, however, out a vacation and not recouping the cost may mean no "make-up" vacation for you. Medical emergencies, accidents, trip delay costs, etc. once you are ON your cruise do rack up additional costs though, and that can be more financially devastating, depending on the severity of the situation.

I think the point being in-artfully made is that most costs associated with a cruise are already paid. Missing the cruise doesn't cost you any MORE money, so you are not worse off financially than you would have been had you made it on the cruise. You are, however, out a vacation and not recouping the cost may mean no "make-up" vacation for you.

Absolutely.

If you take our recent Hawaii trip. It was a four week holiday and cost more than our standard holiday does. It’s the sort of thing which we do quite rarely (probably only once or twice a decade).

We thought our son had broken his arm, and if so we would have had to cancel. The holiday was paid for then, so there was no further cost to pay, but if we had needed to cancel and weren’t insured then we wouldn’t have been able to rearrange for next year, for example. With insurance we were going to get all our money back and would have been able to use that money to book something else for later this year and also rearrange next years main holiday to get to Hawaii.

The cost of that insurance is negligible. That’s why I have been laughing when some people on here just look at things through their own narrow perspective and make sweeping statements about whether insurance is necessary.

Different people have different requirements, and individuals should consider each situation. For example, we rarely (if ever) insure holidays where we don’t leave the country, as the cost is a lot less, and medical or repatriation isn’t a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just like to re-iterate the suggestion to the O/P to check with whichever credit card they used to pay for the cruise. As others have stated, several credit card companies have automatic travel insurance built in as one of their benefits.

I wish you all the luck on your journey with breast cancer. I was diagnosed February 1 and we had our 16 day Panama Canal cruise booked March 12. After consulting with my doctors, we decided to go on the cruise and have the surgery when we returned. As my doctor said to me, many breast cancers are a personal emergency, not necessarily a medical one. Did I have fun? Yes I did, I'd be lying if I aid there wasn't a shadow hanging over the trip, but we also laughed and drank and went new places and met new friends and I'm glad we did! I'm sorry if your diagnosis won't allow you to still go and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m sorry for your condition. I know a number of survivors so there is hope.

That said, if you had the foresight to purchase insurance previously and didn’t this time, then you know it is not the cruise line’s issue. It is your issue. Norwegian is not heartless just because this is the one time you didn’t plan for contingencies.

Don’t escalate - it’s not their problem. It was your decision to not purchase insurance this time, so stop expecting a company that provided optional insurance to insure you after the fact.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bad advice. Do escalate and let us know how it goes. Companies can be compassionate. Let’s hope NCL is so. I’m sorry and Take good care!

I am so sorry for your health issues and wish you well. I would definitely send a follow-up letter, up the chain to NCL. It is true that they are under no obligation to do anything for you, but you may reach a compassionate person who is willing to help you out in some way.

Good luck with NCL, and best wishes for a speedy, full recovery from cancer.

The main reason people buy cruise insurance is in case of injury, sickness, or death, etc... to themselves or to a family member. NCL is not heartless. Unfortunately the OP did not buy cruise insurance, and expecting NCL to just rebook you on another cruise is unreasonable and unfair to the people that spend $ on insurance to cover situations just like the one OP describes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

Insurance.

Bad advice. Do escalate and let us know how it goes. Companies can be compassionate. Let’s hope NCL is so. I’m sorry and Take good care!

I am sorry that the OP has medical issues but it is statements like yours that really tee me off. I pay for my cruise insurance so I would be very upset to hear that NCL just reimburses someone because they escalate. Today's society is all about "me". Every where you look nowadays more and more people expect something for nothing. When does one take responsibility for their own actions. OP said she normally buys insurance so she knew what the outcome would be if she did not. I for one hope NCL follows their policy on this one.

Please , what post specifically isn’t being compassionate or understanding? Compassionate and understanding do not mean we have to be on her side on this issue

some of the posts were deleted by moderators, Wasn't 1 or more of your posts deleted?

Edited by Newleno

some of the posts were deleted by moderators, Wasn't 1 or more of your posts deleted?

So now the forums are being censored because people are saying they understand NCL's position with sticking to their contract and that the OP should have gotten insurance for situations that may arise like this? :-/

So now the forums are being censored because people are saying they understand NCL's position with sticking to their contract and that the OP should have gotten insurance for situations that may arise like this? :-/

Well I answered a specific question that was addressed to me, however we don't want to get this thread off topic, that is against the rules, so if you can just make comment about the OP's situation , thank you for your understanding

NCL could have done more...

It did. Took time to check the cruise contract, whether OP bought or declined insurance coverage at time of purchase and applied the terms agreed to. Everything was done correctly and procedures were followed. What more do you want from NCL? But instead of trashing NCL on CC, feel free to do the right thing and reimburse OP from you own pocket. You can do that, can't you?

Edited by sfaaa

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

Sorry for your illness, but this is why you buy cruise insurance.

This is just my opinion for what it's worth. I wish there was some sort of in between solution for people who do not buy the insurance. If you are not asking for a refund, then why not let them re-book another cruise and perhaps charge a small fee to compensate the cruise line for their trouble. You often see companies who sell products give a refund when the item is returned but charge a re-stocking fee. It's very likely that someone will grab the cabin that was cancelled and an otherwise loyal customer will continue to maintain their loyalty. If insurance guarantees that you will get a full refund of all your money, then by all means buy insurance. But I find it difficult to believe that the cruise line will lose$$$$$$ if they keep your money and let you take a cruise at some time in the future. They have your money and who knows for how long. I feel the same way about airlines that don't have the same policy that Southwest has. Every time I fly, seems like they are always asking for volunteers to give up their seats on oversold flights. The airlines are more then happy to keep your money if you can't fly and re-sell your seat. The same seat that you are not allowed to sell yourself or even give to another family member.

Yes- I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to cancel my cruise/holiday due to surgery chemo etc. I was able to get a full refund through travel insurance. The things I could cancel I did and they paid the cancellation fees I was out of pocket. They fully covered the cost of the cruise as it was 10 days prior to sailing I was diagnosed. So hopefully you’ll be able to recoup the money you’re out of pocket through your insurance. Good luck with your treatment and hopefully you’ll get to cruise in full health once your treatment is finished. Try and let go of the stress. As a survivor of three different primary cancers (yes I unfortunately have the BRCA2 gene) I believe eliminating stress and developing a positive mindset is the key to good health.

Edited by karoo

Yes- I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to cancel my cruise/holiday due to surgery chemo etc. I was able to get a full refund through travel insurance. The things I could cancel I did and they paid the cancellation fees I was out of pocket. They fully covered the cost of the cruise as it was 10 days prior to sailing I was diagnosed. So hopefully you’ll be able to recoup the money you’re out of pocket through your insurance. Good luck with your treatment and hopefully you’ll get to cruise in full health once your treatment is finished. Try and let go of the stress. As a survivor of three different primary cancers (yes I unfortunately have the BRCA2 gene) I believe eliminating stress and developing a positive mindset is the key to good health.

She has no insurance, wants NCL to transfer her cruise to another date even though within 30 days