Solved: Go To First Unread Post

POA1

Remember the old site's links that took you to the first unread post so you didn't have to scroll through the entire thread?  It's turns out that they're actually still here - but in a completely unintuitive fashion.  Let's just call this my latest post the the "What Fresh He11 Is This?" series.

When you are looking at the topic lists, you'll see a dot or a star at the front of the thread. Since the star has been the universally accepted icon for "Favorite" since Internet Explorer in Windows 95, you'd kind think that the star means you're following the thread, right? Wrong-o little buckaroo! The star has a new meaning now. It means you participated in the thread. A Blue Star means that you participated and there is one or more new posts. A Gray or Silver Star means that you participated in the thread but there are no new posts. (Together, the Blue & Silver Stars mean "Dallas Cowboys."

The Blue Dot means that there is new content for a thread but that you have not participated.

Each of these stars and dots are clickable and provide a jump-point into the thread. If you click on the thread title, you go to the beginning of the thread. If you click on the dot or star you'll enter a certain point in the thread, typically the last unread post. Obviously, this only works if you are logged in.

I found this when reading the Invision Community documentation. I'm guessing it's a secret, so don't tell anyone.

post-star-shortcuts.jpg.41ae40cc3dd1431e26f3353b87f3cb67.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I really wish the gray star took you to the end of the thread if you've read everything. (It doesn't on my phone.) That would be really helpful for Live From threads. Otherwise, you in on page 1, post 1. Kind of annoying since you are spending money to post so that CC can make money on ads. 

Just now, AryMay said:

So...is there anyway to tell if you've previously read any posts on the thread? In the old forum, the title would change color so I could always tell which posts I had clicked on previously.

It goes from bolded to regular font when you’ve read it.

Just now, *Miss G* said:

It goes from bolded to regular font when you’ve read it.

Yes...I know that happens. But once someone makes a new post then it is bold again.

I just want to be able to scan through the list of threads and notice which ones I've clicked on before...even if it is several days later.

Oh, do you mean how the old forum used to change the color to red if you’ve viewed the thread?  I haven’t checked for updates but that is one of the requests currently in the Help and Bugs forums.  There is a lot of good information in there if you have time to peruse it.

The old software, vBulletin, used the old school CSS colors (cascading style sheet - but you can just pretend that I said style or format) for visited links, which is red text. The red for a:visited has fallen out of favor. 

The new site's CSS just uses a lighter font weight. 

Once they settle on a final set of styles, we can write our own overrides. But for now, we're stuck with what they've programmed. 

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The old software, vBulletin, used the old school CSS colors (cascading style sheet - but you can just pretend that I said style or format) for visited links, which is red text. The red for a:visited has fallen out of favor. 

The new site's CSS just uses a lighter font weight. 

Once they settle on a final set of styles, we can write our own overrides. But for now, we're stuck with what they've programmed. 

Bolding is mine (if it bolds 😉 ).  

We can write our own overrides?  I suspect you may have to give instructions to some of us 😉  I see an interesting, educational thread in the future.

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine (if it bolds 😉 ).  

We can write our own overrides?  I suspect you may have to give instructions to some of us 😉  I see an interesting, educational thread in the future.

Yes. You'd use site-specific CSS code which would cause your browser to use different styling. Chrome can use Stylebot. Firefox can use userContent style sheets. I'll work up some tutorials once they settle on final styling. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AryMay said:

So...is there anyway to tell if you've previously read any posts on the thread? In the old forum, the title would change color so I could always tell which posts I had clicked on previously.

Not unless you participated. You could always "Like" a post. That's not an ideal solution but it would work. 

26 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Yes. You'd use site-specific CSS code which would cause your browser to use different styling. Chrome can use Stylebot. Firefox can use userContent style sheets. I'll work up some tutorials once they settle on final styling. 

Thanks 🙂

Hope there is something an IPAD can use 😉 

Looking forward to your tutorials when the time is right and I thank you for the help you have been with this new website from H3LL.

52 minutes ago, POA1 said:

In previous (and possibly current) versions of vBulletin, you could enable user-selectable styles, which showed up in a drop down list at the bottom of the main page, and IIRC also in the User CP.  It would be nice to enable in this board if the option is available.

11 minutes ago, MTAK said:

In previous (and possibly current) versions of vBulletin, you could enable user-selectable styles, which showed up in a drop down list at the bottom of the main page, and IIRC also in the User CP.  It would be nice to enable in this board if the option is available.

I'll admit that I did not read the documentation from cover to cover, but I am pretty sure that it's not an Invision Community feature. You are correct that it's still in vBulletin. 

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Thank you in advance. I haven’t done CSS in a couple years so I welcome the opportunity to relearn and mess around with it again. I had no idea you could stick a style sheet in the browser. 

I’m guessing Apply won’t allow that on safari iOS. Will they?

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you in advance. I haven’t done CSS in a couple years so I welcome the opportunity to relearn and mess around with it again. I had no idea you could stick a style sheet in the browser. 

I’m guessing Apply won’t allow that on safari iOS. Will they?

I can't imagine that you couldn't use a browser-specific style sheet in Safari. I just don't have a Mac test platform handy. 

Do a search on CSS override Safari Mac.