Pay in 48 Hours for OBC

Laurie7

I just received a telephone call (voicemail) from Celebrity that if I pay the balance within 48 hours for my March 3, 2019 Edge cruise they would give me a $100 OBC per stateroom.  Any guesses as to why they are doing that?  I am always skeptical:classic_unsure:

I'd call Captains Club at 800-760-0654 and verify that the call actually came from them. Did you book directly with Celebrity? It sounds really odd. Don't call back the number that was left on your voicemail. I'd be interested to hear the results.

Since there were at least two different threads recently (one today) with folks reporting that they've found other people's cruise bookings and information in their My Celebrity accounts I'd be extra skeptical and doubly wary.

I called Celebrity and the promo was accurate.  They claim that they are trying to get reservations finished up before the new year.  Guess they need $$.  Supposedly I can still take advantage of promotions until the final due date.  We'll see.

I just received the same message on my voicemail and wondered the same thing.  Not sure I understand the rationale of getting reservations finished before the new year - my final payment date is Nov 20 so would be this year either way.

This was also for an Edge sailing.

Mike

2 hours ago, Laurie7 said:

I called Celebrity and the promo was accurate.  They claim that they are trying to get reservations finished up before the new year.  Guess they need $$.  Supposedly I can still take advantage of promotions until the final due date.  We'll see.

Did they indicate whether or not you can still cancel prior to the actual final payment date and get back your full payment? If that is not the case, then I could certainly understand why they would be willing to give you some additional OBC in exchange for essentially moving up the final payment date.

I got a voicemail in regard to an Edge booking also. I will try to call back but they did not mention if the payment in full esentially advances the final payment date.

I imagine there are a ton of people who got excited and booked expensive Edge cruises for Jan/Feb/March of 2019 and now Celebrity has a glut of cancellations now that the final payment date is nearing. 

1 hour ago, jimkathyd1 said:

Since I had already paid off an Edge cruise for April of 2019 back in June of 2018 I called about this.  They said as a gesture of good faith they would add $100 OBC credit to my account.  Never hurts to call and ask.

That's exactly the reason you should always ask. If you don't ask, the answer is automatically no. If you do ask, you may receive an unexpected yes😀

I got this call yesterday for an Edge sailing we have booked in February. For suites, the OBC incentive is $200. I didn't ask about any changes to the cancellation policy, but my paid invoice shows the standard cancellation schedule with fees kicking in at 89 days.

I talked to two separate Captain's Club reps and neither had heard about it before I called, but one rep told me she found out it's a promotion being run by their vacation planning department and not available to everyone. I booked the sailing on the day Celebrity opened Edge sailings at less than half the current list price for our suite, so I figured this was Celebrity's way of finding out a bit early whether we were still really planning to go. 

17 hours ago, paulh84 said:

I got a voicemail in regard to an Edge booking also. I will try to call back but they did not mention if the payment in full esentially advances the final payment date.

I imagine there are a ton of people who got excited and booked expensive Edge cruises for Jan/Feb/March of 2019 and now Celebrity has a glut of cancellations now that the final payment date is nearing. 

What some predicted would happen.

9 minutes ago, Orator said:

What some predicted would happen.

Thats what I thought.They try to lock in the high prices that you booked so there wont be much cancellation before 90 days.

I just canceled my Transatlantic of Edge sailing last week because of the ridiculous high price.

54 minutes ago, verizon said:

Thats what I thought.They try to lock in the high prices that you booked so there wont be much cancellation before 90 days.

I just canceled my Transatlantic of Edge sailing last week because of the ridiculous high price.

Well, we were targeted for this incentive and our booking was made at $2799 pp for an S2 that is currently listed at $6299 pp. So if the point is to secure people who booked at the LOL rates they are doing a poor job of targeting the offer. And, like I said, nothing on my invoice suggests that the cancellation policy has changed; based on what's on my documentation, I could cancel without penalty up through 90 days prior to sailing---aka the original final payment date of Nov 27.

We did a cruise with Silversea this year and they offered 10% off our fare for early payment, so perhaps Celebrity is experimenting with incentives along those lines.  

16 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

Well, we were targeted for this incentive and our booking was made at $2799 pp for an S2 that is currently listed at $6299 pp. So if the point is to secure people who booked at the LOL rates they are doing a poor job of targeting the offer. And, like I said, nothing on my invoice suggests that the cancellation policy has changed; based on what's on my documentation, I could cancel without penalty up through 90 days prior to sailing---aka the original final payment date of Nov 27.

We did a cruise with Silversea this year and they offered 10% off our fare for early payment, so perhaps Celebrity is experimenting with incentives along those lines.  

Wow,You are the lucky one.May I know the ship and the sailing date?

20 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

Edge Feb 24 2019. But I literally booked the cruise on Day 1--the rep I talked to didn't even have deck plans yet.

Very nice.

You must have booked before 07/28/2017

Price Created Updated
$ 4,699 2017‑07‑28/ 2017‑11‑05
$ 4,999 2017‑11‑15/ 2017‑12‑17
$ 5,199 2017‑12‑21/ 2018‑05‑09
$ 5,799 2018‑05‑18/ 2018‑06‑26
$ 6,099 2018‑06‑30/ 2018‑08‑24
$ 5,999 2018‑09‑02/ 2018‑09‑05
$ 6,299 2018‑09‑21/ 2018‑10‑15
Edited by iSailor

I was skeptical when I first heard about this offer but we were going to make our Final payment 10 days early anyhow...

So when the voice  mail message came in...we accepted.  Made final payment and took the $100 OBC.. unlike  others, we don' t have any right now...so it will come in handy.. Expect to get more from Royal Points closer to the cruise but this was a nice bonus!

5 hours ago, BeeMinor said:

We booked our Edge sailing in Aug. 2017 for an S2 like yours but was about $1000 more pp.  You got a good deal.  I haven't received a message about paying in full for additional OBC.  Our sail date is 3.31.19.  I would consider it for a little more OBC...we currently have a lot thanks to our TA,  but with so many restaurants to try, I wouldn't turn down a little more.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches