Gifts for the Genie

ScubaDo

17 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

A roll of two ply toilet paper.  Are you mad?  That will spoil them forever!  😉

Well a nod of the head from someone of your status would certainly be a most wonderful gift.  Perhaps you could have the band on your balcony play why the room is serviced, I mean they have to practice?

On 10/21/2018 at 10:46 AM, Cigar King said:

I find granting, to someone who really distinguishes themselves,  total consciousness upon death is more than generous.

Then they have that going for em, which is nice.

If you don't mind I'd like to quote that.

Just because people here decided that gifts should only be cash.

Does not meant that is true.

You  can give them whatever you like and they would be happy with whatever.

They need stuff  like food & essentials just like everyone else.

Just go to the Walmart around Noon at Merritt Island, near Port Canaveral on Sat or Sun.

They bus ship staff there to load up on supplies.....

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Just because people here decided that gifts should only be cash.

Does not meant that is true.

You  can give them whatever you like and they would be happy with whatever.

They need stuff  like food & essentials just like everyone else.

Just go to the Walmart around Noon at Merritt Island, near Port Canaveral on Sat or Sun.

They bus ship staff there to load up on supplies.....

Likewise, just because you say they will be happy with whatever you give them, that does not make it true either.

They bus ship staff there to load up on supplies that THEY WANT or NEED.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Likewise, just because you say they will be happy with whatever you give them, that does not make it true either.

They bus ship staff there to load up on supplies that THEY WANT or NEED.

The point was give them what you like.

Just because the work on a ship does not they only want cash, cash ,cash.

They are no different they anyone else.

BTW,  the cart was loaded with junk food, candy, and snacks...….

53 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

The point was give them what you like.

Just because the work on a ship does not they only want cash, cash ,cash.

They are no different they anyone else.

BTW,  the cart was loaded with junk food, candy, and snacks...….

Pretty sure their carts were loaded up with junk food, candy and snacks that THEY CHOSE!!! Just because you like M&M's and BBQ Chips doesn't mean that they will to! Give them extra cash, and then THEY can decide what to fill their cart with!

33 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Pretty sure their carts were loaded up with junk food, candy and snacks that THEY CHOSE!!! Just because you like M&M's and BBQ Chips doesn't mean that they will to! Give them extra cash, and then THEY can decide what to fill their cart with!

I get your overriding point, and agree.  However, food allergies aside, who doesn't like M&M's?  Can't have them maybe, but doesn't like them?

2 hours ago, cello56 said:

This is the point many of us are trying to make. Give them cash and let them decide what to spend it on. That "cart" can be coming from Walmart or J.C. Penny or Ace Hardware or Burger King or any number of other places. The point is, regardless of what some people think, you do not know what they want or need. If you give them cash, they can use it where it is best for them.

I get it that some people want to give the personal touch and give them something that had a lot of thought behind it but, the bottom line is, you just know if the gift you are giving is of any value to them.

I agree with giving them cash. Let them decide what they need or want. The other point I have not seen mentioned is how are they supposed to get all these "gifts" home. After they finish their rotation and need to board a flight to go home, how much spare room in their suitcases do they have for these "gifts" and if they need to check an extra bag or their bag is now overweight how much will the airlines now charge them to take all these "gifts" home. It is like at Christmas time do you want some ugly sweater that your aunt put thought into or would you rather have a generic Visa gift card to go get what you actually want. Of course we tell Aunt so and so what a great sweater but in reality it goes in the back of the closet never to be seen again. 

6 hours ago, Domino D said:

I get your overriding point, and agree.  However, food allergies aside, who doesn't like M&M's?  Can't have them maybe, but doesn't like them?

Me. I don’t like chocolate.😀

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 8:40 PM, Domino D said:

If you don't mind I'd like to quote that.

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Bill Murray - Caddyshack

Yeah.  Great movie.  It's in the scene where he's talking about being a caddy for the Dali Lama, where he's got the pitch fork up against the kids throat.

I can see why some would want to give their genie gifts, after all, they do so much to ensure we have the best vacation possible. I always prefer to give a very nice cash gift.  I think we all have received gifts over the years that we have smiled and told the giver how much we liked and appreciated it, even when we did not.  Cash is universal, can be used anywhere to buy the things you want or like most.

If they have specifically asked for something, that is different.  At least you know you're giving what they actually prefer to have.

We have always given cash to the room stewards and our genie but this year we are going out on a limb and taking a gift for him (our genie).  We found a small 1" genie lamp pin that could be worn on a jacket or shirt lapel.  It is not big and will not take up any room and although we are a little nervous he will receive the pin in a card of thanks (it will be the second time in March we have the same genie).  There are so many advantages and disadvantages of giving gifts that it is hard to disagree with cash but we each have to do what we feel we need to so for all you who want to give cash, give them cash and if you want to give a gift then give a gift.  Because, in the end, whatever they do with the cash or gift is what they do with it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

We found a small 1" genie lamp pin that could be worn on a jacket or shirt lapel.  It is not big and will not take up any room and although we are a little nervous he will receive the pin in a card of thanks (it will be the second time in March we have the same genie). 

RCL probably has a strict dress code for when they are on duty.  

In any event, gifts make people feel good and that is enough.

RCCL might but I know the genies have some leeway.  I know when Derick brought us some water and pastries when we were waiting to board we were told to get rid of it until we told them Derick had given us the food and then it was ok for us to sit and enjoy.  The only people who were upset about it was the Pinnacle members who were in the same area we were.  At any rate, it is a small gift and if he can wear it great and if not at least it is small and he will know we were thinking about him and appreciated everything he has done for us.