Gifts for the Genie

ScubaDo

We have touched on this topic on other discussions, but it feels like it needs its own subject matter. I have read that people give their Genie a gift/gifts and I am curious what types of gifts you have given. I will have my first Genie experience soon. Thank you in advance for ideas.

Ship employees work for money....just like YOU work for your pay.  An extra tip is all that they really want.  Their cabins, which they share with others, are MUCH smaller than the smallest passenger cabin.  They have no room for do-dads or memorabilia that you might find charming.  Just give them more cash, if you feel the need, and a heartfelt "Thank you", if you appreciate their service.  It's their JOB, and if they do it well, a "raise" is nice!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

If I'm the genie, what am I going to do with a gift every week or so?  Where can I put them?

Practically speaking, it just doesn't make sense to me to give anything but cash.

Exactly. Plus, the genie has more than one guest every week.  Imagine if they were getting a half-dozen gifts every week.  You know where these gifts would end up.

• Like 1

I thought about bringing a gift from home but we live in FL and I can't think of anything unique that they can't get themselves since they dock here.  My daughter lives in Chicago and is cruising with us so I told her to bring a few small tins of Garretts popcorn. They can throw away the tins when they are done. The main "gift" will be their tip.

I know that sometimes things like chocolates or certain candies are harder to find and, if I know they enjoy it, I'll bring it (definitely doesn't impact the tip at all).  I know sometimes I like certain treats - so I just think it's a nice thing to do to brighten someone's day (and, let's face it, sometimes everyone just needs one thing to make them smile).

We always get our Genie something b/c we know that he/she will be giving us something.  The cash tip is completely separate.

For our female Genies we usually get something like a shawl or a wrap.  There is a shop in Bermuda that has lovely handmade wraps and I always buy a couple when we go to Bermuda to use as gifts.  I've never had a female Genie that did not really appreciate it.  Our male Genies usually get some kind of ball cap or jersey - either from the Dallas Cowboys or the Washington Redskins (I know...weird to see these 2 together.  We are a house divided).  In my experience, the male Genies love American sports and any kind of sports team items.  None of these items take up much space, something that we are careful to consider.

I guess I'm just old fashioned.  I know that if I am going to be receiving a gift (and we always do) then we will not be comfortable with not giving a gift in return.  We always tip in cash too, but the small personal gift is something they always seem to appreciate.  It doesn't have to be expensive.

I would love to go into a crew member's cabin and count the number of gifts they have received during their career. I bet I'd be able to count them on one hand. I know everyone that gives a gift thinks they are doing something special and "of course the crew member will like MY gift, I put so much thought into it and I know s/he will love it and keep it forever". But the fact of the matter is, they have no place to store the gifts and they most likely ALL end up in the trash. If they want something special, they will be able to buy it with the extra CASH that you give them.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 2

Oh good heavens, add whatever you are planning to spend on a "gift" to the cash tip.  This is no different from the useless stuff family members insist on giving during the holidays.  All it does is make the giver feel good. The staff has to pretend they are so happy to receive your gift when cash what they really want.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RFerrington said:

We always get our Genie something b/c we know that he/she will be giving us something.  The cash tip is completely separate.

For our female Genies we usually get something like a shawl or a wrap.  There is a shop in Bermuda that has lovely handmade wraps and I always buy a couple when we go to Bermuda to use as gifts.  I've never had a female Genie that did not really appreciate it.  Our male Genies usually get some kind of ball cap or jersey - either from the Dallas Cowboys or the Washington Redskins (I know...weird to see these 2 together.  We are a house divided).  In my experience, the male Genies love American sports and any kind of sports team items.  None of these items take up much space, something that we are careful to consider.

I guess I'm just old fashioned.  I know that if I am going to be receiving a gift (and we always do) then we will not be comfortable with not giving a gift in return.  We always tip in cash too, but the small personal gift is something they always seem to appreciate.  It doesn't have to be expensive.

So are you actually receiving a gift from the Genie or from RCL?  Sorry I agree with everyone else and think the extra money being spent on little gifts should just be given as cash.  I am also not sure how you really know someone appreciates or loves what you are giving them, of course they are going to act like it when they are given a gift, but that does not mean they really want that over extra cash.

23 hours ago, ScubaDo said:

We have touched on this topic on other discussions, but it feels like it needs its own subject matter. I have read that people give their Genie a gift/gifts and I am curious what types of gifts you have given. I will have my first Genie experience soon. Thank you in advance for ideas.

Like PhoenixCruiser did, we simply ask if there is anything that we can get them in addition to their tip.  Most say No Thanks, but occasionally they will mention something they like and want.  I would not give them something without asking, because of the limited space they have.  Most of the time it is small things they ask for, certain candy, one asked about my pen and wanted to know if I could get him one, etc..  I don't think that giving them $3.00 cash instead of chocolate they like would impact their life significantly.

I am guessing that giving money alone feels impersonal, and you want the genie to know how much you appreciate them.  Peoples reaction to a personal gesture will vary widely.  Some people appreciate gestures, some don't.  I have binders with notes, cards, letters, and emails that Guests have sent to thank me for helping with problems they had.  I have over 2,100.  If people took the time to write them, the least I can do is keep them. I don't re-read them, but I do look at the binders everyday. I appreciate people making a personal gesture, and like remembering that these kind of people are in the world.  It doesn't matter that others would toss them out.  

As far as people saying the staff doesn't want it, I wouldn't worry about that.  If they don't want it, they'll regift it, sell it on ebay, or toss it out.  All of which are fine. I am certain there are as many feelings amongst staff on receiving gifts as there are here on giving them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domino D said:

I don't think that giving them $3.00 cash instead of chocolate they like would impact their life significantly.

I am not sure I would agree with that.  A great deal of the people I have interacted with on the ship are from India, the average income in 2016 of Middle class was between $10-50 a day.  I do not think these workers are considered middle class in India and that $3.00 might be close to a full day of wages back home for them.  Sorry unless they specifically ask for something I would not assume they can use anything besides cash.

3 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I am not sure I would agree with that.  A great deal of the people I have interacted with on the ship are from India, the average income in 2016 of Middle class was between $10-50 a day.  I do not think these workers are considered middle class in India and that $3.00 might be close to a full day of wages back home for them.  Sorry unless they specifically ask for something I would not assume they can use anything besides cash.

I have no problem agreeing it should be something they said they wanted.

19 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

Suite attendant?  That's easy because we have had her before.  We know what she likes and it's also her birthday!  So it will be her favorite chocolate and cash.

Suite attendant? I guess you could also call ours a suite attendant, but why differentiate? They all clean the cabins regardless of the size. Oh, I guess I know. 🙄   I guess I'll just stick with cabin attendant.

How do you really know if someone appreciates the gift they are being given? Because they act appreciative? How do you act when you are given a gift that you don't want or don't need? Thanks, but no thanks? You act like most everyone else and pretend that it's great and you like it. I know that's what I do. 😉  As for the shaws, wraps and baseball caps? What if 1 passenger gave them a shaw a month? That's only 12 shaws isn't it? That's probably 11 or 12 to many. I don't even own that many. Can someone really use or want that many? Same would apply to baseball caps and other items. For the men that normally wear a ball cap, how many do you own? I'm guessing not even close to 12, but some might. I don't think I have ever seen a crew member wearing a ball cap when out on their day off.

ScubaDo, not sure why you think it needs it's own subject matter when this has been discussed many times before. It doesn't make a difference if they are a genie, concierge or a regular/suite cabin attendant. It's all the same.

I know I will only be giving the cabin attendant and concierge extra $$$ along with the prepaid gratuities. They can buy what they want and need. Also, I would rather imagine the smile on their face how happy they are when they can buy what they want or can send extra $$$ back home to family and not a pretend act of really liking something. 

Something else I think they appreciate is to have less work. We often only have them come in once a day or some days not at all. I have read others say that they paid for the service so they are going to use it. That's all good and I'm not knocking it, but I don't clean our house everyday so I don't have someone else do it either. A little less work would give them a small break and if I was in their shoes I would definitely appreciate that.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Suite attendant? I guess you could also call ours a suite attendant, but why differentiate? They all clean the cabins regardless of the size. Oh, I guess I know. 🙄   I guess I'll just stick with cabin attendant.

How do you really know if someone appreciates the gift they are being given? Because they act appreciative? How do you act when you are given a gift that you don't want or don't need? Thanks, but no thanks? You act like most everyone else and pretend that it's great and you like it. I know that's what I do. 😉  As for the shaws, wraps and baseball caps? What if 1 passenger gave them a shaw a month? That's only 12 shaws isn't it? That's probably 11 or 12 to many. I don't even own that many. Can someone really use or want that many? Same would apply to baseball caps and other items. For the men that normally wear a ball cap, how many do you own? I'm guessing not even close to 12, but some might. I don't think I have ever seen a crew member wearing a ball cap when out on their day off.

ScubaDo, not sure why you think it needs it's own subject matter when this has been discussed many times before. It doesn't make a difference if they are a genie, concierge or a regular/suite cabin attendant. It's all the same.

I know I will only be giving the cabin attendant and concierge extra $$$ along with the prepaid gratuities. They can buy what they want and need. Also, I would rather imagine the smile on their face how happy they are when they can buy what they want or can send extra $$$ back home to family and not a pretend act of really liking something. 

Something else I think they appreciate is to have less work. We often only have them come in once a day or some days not at all. I have read others say that they paid for the service so they are going to use it. That's all good and I'm not knocking it, but I don't clean our house everyday so I don't have someone else do it either. A little less work would give them a small break and if I was in their shoes I would definitely appreciate that.

I call her a suite attendant because that was how she was introduced to us.

We also ask for very little and keep our room picked up. On a day where I knew she was going into port I told her not to service our room so she could get off of the ship earlier.  We just put the do not disturb sign out all day so she would not get in trouble.

No gifts, just money. I am guessing that no matter how gracious the person is when accepting the gift, it is because they have to be that way. They don't want a baseball cap or whatever. Just money. Nothing wrong with that. Leave the personalized gift giving to their friends and family.