London hotel recommendations please

Hi All

We are heading back to London in May 2019. We’ve only been once before and stayed at Grange Tower Bridge. We had a great stay and the hotel was pretty good (in line with what we are used to in OZ). It was a bit far away from the main tourist areas though. So I’m wondering if anyone has stayed at a hotel they would be happy to recommend that is around the $350 a night range and has a great location close to a tube station etc?

thanks!

When the kids were kids, about 10 years ago we stayed at Dolphin Square in a 2 bedroom apartment. They have studios and up. From around $300 per night now, and we had a deal which included breakfast.

it is very close to Pimlico tube station on the Victoria Line. However, we would often take the 24 bus which terminates nearby. It has a route that goes past Westminster, Horse Guards, etc., and we would get off at Trafalgar Square.

Dolhin Square has a very interesting history of spies, and even worse.

If you liked that Grange hotel try one of their ones in Bloomsbury/Russell Square. Many of them are in gorgeous Georgian terraces. There are several in Bedford Place and a couple in Montague St. I've stayed in the Clarendon and the Buckingham. They are very close to the British Museum. There are two stations on the Piccadilly line close by. 

Have a look at Apex Hotels, they have 2 in London.  We stayed close to St James Square and thought Sofitel St James was ideally located.  We actually stayed in Rubens at the Palace.  Great location, but hotel wasn’t to our taste.

I would think any hotel near to a station would be fine, Park Plaza (County Hall) at Waterloo was very well situated but not sure if it still fits your budget. There are lots of hotels that are near Embankment and also the Kensington area which means you are close to various (differing) attractions and the stations as well.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Premier Inns, a few of them in London and 800 of them in the UK are fine for a few nights, book direct with them for best prices.

You just beat me to it with that post Uncle Les.The one in Victoria looks the most central.With the OP budget,I think the Queen would have a spare room for that money.We use Expedia or similar sites for nearly all our bookings.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We use the booking agents for a price check and then check out what booking direct gets you, often the same price or cheaper but with benefits.

Yes, I do that too. Though sometimes I book through a booking agent if I want to lock in an AUD rate.

The main advantage of booking sites IMO is location maps,info and reviews.When I read this post over the weekend,i did a fake booking.One 4 star hotel wanted £450 a night,another round the corner wanted £150,no logic at all.For a cruise next year from Southampton,the Holiday Inn was £50 cheaper than the "budget" Ibis,no brainer.In general,the Premier Inns are the best value and are all the same standard with pub grub type restaurants.We book those direct.Cheers,Brian.

We have stayed at the Grange Holborn a couple of times and really like it. It is very close to the tube station and is on the Piccadilly line which has a direct train from the airport. You can get some really cheap rates on weekends which include a very nice continental breakfast. It is very close to the West End and we walked (about 25 minutes) to Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey. Have fun, it is a beautiful city :classic_smile:

Our last couple of trips we have stayed at the Comfort Inn Buckingham Palace Road, Westminster Borough  a  2 minute walk from the Victoria Coach Station which is very handy for National Express Bus Co transfers from the airport and to Southampton if you are cruising,  pre-purchase online they have some great specials...   Plenty of shops and restaurants 2 mins from hotel...   The rooms are small, but that's pretty standard in London unless you want to pay the big bucks.....hotel was very clean.... lovely staff and continental breakfast was great.....   

Buckingham Palace is a leisurely 10-12 minute walk,  there's a great little pub behind the Palace, handy for the Royals to pop out the back gate and have a pint or 2😉 , ambiance and meals are great....    All the big attractions are handy, we walked everywhere.  If you don't want to walk the  Hop On Hop Off bus picks across from the Coach station. 

We stayed in the Bailey Hotel a year or so ago for 3 nights.  Great location opposite Gloucester Road tube station.  Quite a pleasant stay - I think we had a Superior Room which was plenty big enough.  The breakfast room was a bit small for the number of guests, but otherwise good.  We would stay there again.