Regarding "Prohibited Items" list (Cigarette lighters)

DGP1111

Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master. 

*Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals unless carried in limited quantities and in accordance with company instructions (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners etc.)

As a non-smoker, I've never given thought to quantity/size of cigarette lighters being brought onboard a cruise ship, but that is now the case, and a call to the CCL reservations phone number was met with the less-than-helpful, "I don't know for sure" answer.

My goal is to take three (3) sealed multi-packs of BIC Disposable Lighters, making fifteen (15) total as gifts for three crew members who use them in their onboard role.  That would certainly be deemed as more than I'd need for personal use onboard a short sailing (or even a really long sailing) so I'm concerned they'll be denied.  It really is no big deal, and the expense (if they are discarded at embarkation) is minimal . . . but I was really hoping to do this gesture for those crew members.

Has anyone who might be reading this post heard of any specific quantity??  Thanks for any responses.

what job on the ship require multiple lighters? You know they can buy them on any island for $2. Of course they are permissible to bring aboard. Have you ever seen a smoking section on the ship, no shortage of lighters.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

what job on the ship require multiple lighters? You know they can buy them on any island for $2. Of course they are permissible to bring aboard. Have you ever seen a smoking section on the ship, no shortage of lighters.

Bartender at Alchemy Bar.

I'm aware that, yes, they can . . . but my goal is just a nice small gesture to allow them to skip even that minimal effort for a short while.

Thanks for validating my question about the quantity.  Greatly appreciated.

Nope, over triple-digit sailings, I've never once visited, or spent time in, a smoking section.  I deliberately choose that rookie status.

Again, thanks!

On 10/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, DGP1111 said:

a call to the CCL reservations phone number was met with the less-than-helpful, "I don't know for sure" answer.

You called a minimum wage reservations desk worker about a ridiculously esoteric question concerning flammable materials, and expected an exact answer?  Did you wait till midnight on a holiday, too?

Slip them a fin and call it a day.  They'd appreciate it much more.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, SadieN said:

If you're flying you wont be able to take them all onboard.   Think the limit flying is 1 in carryone, none checked.

Thanks, Sadie.  :classic_smile:

A great reminder, for sure, but not an issue of this cruise, as I drive about an hour to get on the ship.  No air travel involved.  Have a great day!

• 3 years later...

Between 2 of us…we usually will have 4-5 Bic lighters. Probably 2-3 on us and 1 in each bathroom bag.
No one has ever said anything about them. They can see them when and if checked luggage is scanned.
They can see them in carry on scan. They know what lighters look like on screen.
They have seen thousands of them. 
Maybe they’re too busy screening for alcohol and clothes steamers.  
OP has a valid reason if they ask bout them. They’re gifts. Nothing sinister going on here. Lol 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Maybe they’re too busy screening for alcohol and clothes steamers.  

Actually too busy screening for 2” manicure scissors, had mine taken away from me at Port of Tampa last Sunday, have had them with me for last 20+ cruises, guy gave me the impression he was searching for a pair of really big scissors, ruffled through my carryon bag and then through my cosmetic case, i had no idea he was searching for my 2” manicure scissors, found them and held them in the air and seemed very pleased with himself. Can you tell how annoyed I was?!

6 hours ago, cellfree said:

Actually too busy screening for 2” manicure scissors, had mine taken away from me at Port of Tampa last Sunday, have had them with me for last 20+ cruises, guy gave me the impression he was searching for a pair of really big scissors, ruffled through my carryon bag and then through my cosmetic case, i had no idea he was searching for my 2” manicure scissors, found them and held them in the air and seemed very pleased with himself. Can you tell how annoyed I was?!

Good heavens. What a moron!  Makes me wonder what else he gets wrong…Yikes…

On 3/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, cellfree said:

The change in prohibited items to include all scissors (except "large scrapbooking", kept with the dive knives, lol) and knives (except dive knives, held at security) is fairly recent - I think from the post-COVID restart.  It used to be knives (and I think scissors) under 3" or something were allowed.

I have no idea what spurred that - maybe they had a few incidents where they were used (successfully) as weapons by some drunk (or sober) idiot, and so they just decided to say "fine, none allowed on board".

You can do damage to someone with such things...

On 3/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, cellfree said:

Actually had that happen also in Fort Lauderdale at TSA one time (pre Covid) but I just gave him a sad look and he let me slide and wanted me to know he was giving me a break (lol).  It was part of a cute set in a nice travel case that I have, so I was glad I didn't have to replace it.  But really, it's handy to have a small pr. of scissors like that with you for unexpected needs.  Some of those agents are on a power trip to begin with.  Two weeks ago at our local airport, the TSA girl was so anal about where to stand and to answer her questions exactly the way she wanted and to hand her documents exactly as she requested, it was ridiculous.  My husband went to the guy beside her and he was done before me, because that guy wasn't being a jerk.  I had a few choice words for her (in my mind) as I walked away.  But what can you do, your at their mercy just to get through the whole process.  My husband wants to get TSA-precheck for future travel, he says it will be worth it for him to not have to take a belt and shoes off. 🤣

9 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Actually had that happen also in Fort Lauderdale at TSA one time (pre Covid) but I just gave him a sad look and he let me slide and wanted me to know he was giving me a break (lol).  It was part of a cute set in a nice travel case that I have, so I was glad I didn't have to replace it.  But really, it's handy to have a small pr. of scissors like that with you for unexpected needs.  Some of those agents are on a power trip to begin with.  Two weeks ago at our local airport, the TSA girl was so anal about where to stand and to answer her questions exactly the way she wanted and to hand her documents exactly as she requested, it was ridiculous.  My husband went to the guy beside her and he was done before me, because that guy wasn't being a jerk.  I had a few choice words for her (in my mind) as I walked away.  But what can you do, your at their mercy just to get through the whole process.  My husband wants to get TSA-precheck for future travel, he says it will be worth it for him to not have to take a belt and shoes off. 🤣

PreChek is 100% worth it!   Just got it this past summer and -love- it.   It's already paid for itself many times over.   You can still get a jack*ss TSA screener on a power trip, of course, but the amount of time you spend with them is so much less (and there's less for them to bark at you about). 

• Like 1

Ty for all your responses - it does depend on what “agent” you get at the cruise port  (TSA at the airport, we’ll that’s a story too!) - I did come across the new list - however my manicure scissors made it through three other cruise port checks since the new list came out - lesson learned and will pack in suitcase after this and even though still not allowed I cannot imagine they would flag an alert - simply useful to have something to cut with whether it be a thread or a tag on a piece of clothing or whatever. Interesting tidbit to note, the guy was happy to find my manicure scissors as he pointed out to me “they were pointed” when he held them in the air but he never came across my small corkscrew - crazy! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Just bring it. Worst that happens is they take it and your out .79 cents...

If I could find a good .79 cent pair I would, not so easy, but will get a “cheap” pair for travel and “decent” pair for home.