COCKTAIL PRICES ON PRINCESS SHIPS

Boiler Cruiser

What does Princess charge for cocktails in the Wheelhouse Bar, Crooner's and the like?  What (if any) is the price difference for a drink mixed with house liquor vs name brand (like Sapphire Gin, for instance)?

What are they charging for single malt scotch?  How about a good bourbon (like Maker's Mark or Evan Williams)?

My DW and I have not been a cruise on Princess for a few years and I'm curious.

Thanks.

On 10/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, capriccio said:

Thank you! Cruise is 460 days out, but able to confirm that as of this month, drink prices are not much different than those on HAL...

But the 15-drink/day package is $15pp/day more! $840 more for 2 of us on a 28-day cruise. We had HAL's package in a promotional, and I determined it was just about break-even for us at $45/day pre-sailing price. Cannot rationalize $60/day even with 18 sea days.

32 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Thank you! Cruise is 460 days out, but able to confirm that as of this month, drink prices are not much different than those on HAL...

But the 15-drink/day package is $15pp/day more! $840 more for 2 of us on a 28-day cruise. We had HAL's package in a promotional, and I determined it was just about break-even for us at $45/day pre-sailing price. Cannot rationalize $60/day even with 18 sea days.

I don't know what the HAL package covers but please check the "per drink" price and make sure you are comparing similar items. Many cruise lines have a "drink package" but they don't all cover the same things. On Princess (other than a few ship that have the "Whiskey Adventure") the package covers almost any drink you can buy. On most ships there are about 5 wines and 2 liquors that aren't included. (Ships with the "Whiskey Adventure" have quite a number of high-end liquors that aren't included but those aren't even available on the other ships.)

I agree that the beverage package is expensive. We had it on two cruises as a perk and loved it but I won't spend the money to pay for it. We had a 28 day cruise and a 14 day cruise with the package and I totally loved it. (My wife barely used it but did have more drinks than she would normally have ordered. I'm the "bad" one. D'Oh!) I won't even order the package just for myself as I consider it to be too much money to spend on drinks. I really loved that it included specialty coffee, San Pellegrino water, regular water for shore excursion, milk shakes, etc. (I asked for a vanilla malt with lots and lots of malt and they just kept piling it in. OMG! It was like malts used to be when I was a kid! It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!)

Anyway, if you think you "might" want to buy the beverage package just be sure you are comparing the same thing when you compare the cost of other cruise lines. I know some have far less inclusive packages.

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

$15 more per day but it includes drinks up to $12 each, HAL is up to $8.

Holland America Line has also introduced discounted pricing for its existing Signature Beverage Package, where guests save five dollars when they purchase the package online for $44.95 per person, per day, before their cruise; the same package when purchased aboard ship is priced at $49.95 per person, per day. The Signature Beverage Package includes standard selections of wine, beer, spirits, sodas, coffees and cocktails up to a value of $8 each.

Princess package:

• The package includes all beer, wine by the glass and cocktails $12.00 USD and under as listed on our menu(s), or $16.00 AUD and under for voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand.
  • The package includes all bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, Gong Cha items, Frappés at Coffee & Cones, milk shakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks.
  • The package provides a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one liter bottles of water, canned soda and bottled juices.
  • The package may be used on our private islands, all food and beverage venues, and other areas such as the theater or public spaces that offer beverage service. Selections and service are limited to each venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.
  • If dining at a specialty dining venue, a large bottle of water (one liter) of still or sparkling is covered by the package.

HAL's limit was up to $9/drink in August (but probably the price of drinks had also risen!). The 25% off bottles of wine and other things is probably the most significant difference. A lot of HAL regulars are not impressed by the wines by the glass. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, capriccio said:

Thank you for posting this!

Trying to decide if coffee cards plus unlimited soda is what we want, and then buying alcohol as we go. 

Current Premier Beverage package is $70.79;  when deducting the per person average for soda and coffee (we would get two cards per person for 16nts), is $49 a day for booze, with a $12 cap.

Wondering aloud, if in addition to the occasional soda and mocha, if we would indeed purchase $49 worth of booze per day. 

Opinions of those who have done similar calculations, welcomed.

Cheers,

Bob

Last month Drinks were around $10 before tip on the average. Some newer craft cocktails were priced at $12 pre-tip. 

Edited by 4cats4me

6 minutes ago, bob221b1 said:

Thank you for posting this!

Trying to decide if coffee cards plus unlimited soda is what we want, and then buying alcohol as we go. 

Current Premier Beverage package is $70.79;  when deducting the per person average for soda and coffee (we would get two cards per person for 16nts), is $49 a day for booze, with a $12 cap.

Wondering aloud, if in addition to the occasional soda and mocha, if we would indeed purchase $49 worth of booze per day. 

Opinions of those who have done similar calculations, welcomed.

Cheers,

Bob

When doing your calculation, don't forget the following - which may or may not make a difference to you:

• The PBP includes unlimited specialty coffees and teas as well as unlimited brewed coffee. The coffee card only includes a limited number of punches for specialty coffees.
  • The PBP includes unlimited bottled water (small bottles). The soda package does not include bottled water.

1 minute ago, NavyVeteran said:

When doing your calculation, don't forget the following - which may or may not make a difference to you:

• The PBP includes unlimited specialty coffees and teas as well as unlimited brewed coffee. The coffee card only includes a limited number of punches for specialty coffees.
  • The PBP includes unlimited bottled water (small bottles). The soda package does not include bottled water.

Thank you ( and for your service) from a retired Navy Chief.

For me it's borderline whether I come out ahead or behind on the cost.  If you forced me to bet my next paycheck I'd go with it NOT coming out ahead, but it's pretty close.  Having said that, I will continue to get the PBP for the forseeable future.  I like the mindset more than any savings.

The math comes out, purely based on alcohol, to somewhere in the ballpark of 6-9 drinks in a day to break even.  If you start to mix in specialty coffees/bottled water/soda obviously that stuff counts as well and brings the # of alcoholic drinks to break even down.

As I said though, the mindset is the real key for me.  As weak as the mixed drinks are, which is my go-to, and as non-generous as the wine pours typically are, to actually pay what they charge for these drinks over and over again would be painful.  On the other hand, with the PBP I couldn't care less if the drinks are weak or the pours are small; no problem just keep em coming! That is much more the mindset I prefer to have on vacation.  The fact that they're so weak actually helps make sure I don't have too much too quick as well.  It's an odd thing to call out as a bonus, but coupled with not caring about the per drink price, a win-win for the fun factor in my book.

I'm one that tends to start partaking in the afternoon...when I do that and keep a reasonable pace, i.e. I appreciate a nice maintained buzz but have no desire to show up to dinner hammered, it's not hard to meet or exceed the break even mark slowly over the course of the entire second half of the day.  It would be tougher if you didn't start until evening to cram in that many that late.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

For me it's borderline whether I come out ahead or behind on the cost.  If you forced me to bet my next paycheck I'd go with it NOT coming out ahead, but it's pretty close.  Having said that, I will continue to get the PBP for the forseeable future.  I like the mindset more than any savings.

The math comes out, purely based on alcohol, to somewhere in the ballpark of 6-9 drinks in a day to break even.  If you start to mix in specialty coffees/bottled water/soda obviously that stuff counts as well and brings the # of alcoholic drinks to break even down.

As I said though, the mindset is the real key for me.  As weak as the mixed drinks are, which is my go-to, and as non-generous as the wine pours typically are, to actually pay what they charge for these drinks over and over again would be painful.  On the other hand, with the PBP I couldn't care less if the drinks are weak or the pours are small; no problem just keep em coming! That is much more the mindset I prefer to have on vacation.  The fact that they're so weak actually helps make sure I don't have too much too quick as well.  It's an odd thing to call out as a bonus, but coupled with not caring about the per drink price, a win-win for the fun factor in my book.

I'm one that tends to start partaking in the afternoon...when I do that and keep a reasonable pace, i.e. I appreciate a nice maintained buzz but have no desire to show up to dinner hammered, it's not hard to meet or exceed the break even mark slowly over the course of the entire second half of the day.  It would be tougher if you didn't start until evening to cram in that many that late.

I like a good beer-buzz in the morning ...

and as you perfectly stated ... the wine pours and cocktails are certainly not what I pour at home :classic_ninja:

and I'll drink $ 15-20 easily per day in the non-alcoholic selections - mostly fuzzy waters ...

• 2 weeks later...

Understand that some want to break even on cost alone and there is a spreadsheet floating around that is helpful to figure that out.  It's out of date but you can update it with prices.  I also add in a value per day for convenience and flexibility ( love not worrying about cost of each drink and trying new ones).

On 10/29/2018 at 10:43 AM, Cinerama said:

$15 more per day but it includes drinks up to $12 each, HAL is up to $8.

HAL's SBP now covers up to $11, and that covered all we wanted to drink (which is all you need and what calculations should be based on IMO). The SBP price(s) are still the same, and the per drink prices didn't SEEM to have gone up, just a slightly better selection of wine...

Edited by crystalspin