Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

Oh wow, changing the itinerary like that really ruins the "Broadway" aspect of the cruise since if anyone wanted to go to a show they would have already purchased tickets AND most shows are dark on Monday nights.

That's a shame.  But there are plenty of other great things to do here instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Same thing happened to us on the 2014 version of this cruise on the Eclipse.  They canceled the overnight in Bermuda and we arrived NYC 2 days late.  This was before they were doing Boston.  They made the announcement when we were boarding.  Yes made a mess of peoples NYC plans.  Lucky we had booked last minute and had no plans.  Got last minute tickets to Motown in the 3rd row with another couple we had met on the cruise.

Captain did a presentation on the weather system in the North Atlantic which caused him to take a much more southern route and then head back north to NYC.  There were reports of other ships that week returning with damage and at least one with a missing life boat.

• Thanks 1

Celebrity picked almost the worst possible itinerary change. Instead of say cancelling Boston or just delaying arrival into Boston, EVERY port is off by a day. Any Broadway shows are out the window and any other plans not made through Celebrity would need to be changed in some way.

The email and text we're sent out less than 24 hours before embarkation. Many guests are already in England and may not get the information until they board the ship.

I guess the new mentality of Celebrity is: "don't book anything private in any port because even a one day delay means not one port but all ports are changed."

Hopefully, corporate will wake up and change the itinerary (AGAIN) to decrease the sheer number of port calls that are altered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sbt518 said:

Oh wow, changing the itinerary like that really ruins the "Broadway" aspect of the cruise since if anyone wanted to go to a show they would have already purchased tickets AND most shows are dark on Monday nights.

My sentiments exactly. And this be avoided by just skipping Boston (not the best solution but better than the existing solution).

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome aboard Mr Boston.  

I will also be interesting in seeing how Silhouette is faring.   We sailed her 2 years ago on a Transatlantic and loved her.   At that time she was in great condition and I expect she will be a little older but well maintained.   I'll be posting a bunch of pictures once aboard.

As for Boston would love to hear any advise on things to see or do.   I grew up in Longmeadow (Western Mass.) and visited Boston and The Cape quite often.   It has been 40+ years since I left that area of the country, so am sure nothing has changed....

😁

We haven't made any plans so far, but were thinking of doing the Hop on Hop off and just explore on our own.   If not that I was checking today and thought we might pick up an all day pass on the Subway and explore by Subway.

Jim

Jim...we were on board with you on "Sillie" for that fall T/A in '16...we were just a couple doors down from you two! We are doing this exact cruise in October of '19 so will follow along for sure!! You 2 certainly aren't letting any grass grow under your feet...I was following another one of you blogs when you were in Asia recently...always a good read!! LuAnn

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Wrk2cruise, are you on this transatlantic.   We did go with you to the Motown show.   Remember how super cold it was?   We have packed adequate winter wear this time so we won’t have to make a side trip to the Salvation Army for hats!

No unfortunately we have some commitments which keep us closer to home.  We have been sticking to Caribbean for the last couple of years.  I'll send an email to the account we used to have for you with our current email

Edited by wrk2cruise

On 11/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, h20cruzer said:

Luggage—— That’s it for the 2 of you!!!!!

Just Iain’s carry on isn’t in picture.  Our strategy is to pack clothing for half the number of days and have laundry done every couple days.   It will really cut down on our cost now that we get free laundry.  

On 11/1/2018 at 8:06 PM, JoePDX said:

Jim -

I flew into CDG in mid October from Seattle.    Immigration was over an hour wait.   I wasn't premium cabin though.   But be aware there are three lines (EU, Non EU and Sky Priority).  I think you are flying business so definitely look for the Sky Priority queue.   Have a great time!

Joe

Thanks Joe

We were intransit and didn’t have to do immagration or customs in Paris.   Non-EC in terminal 4 at Heathrow was a mess and took us over an hour.  When we first arrived there was about 500 on line and only 2 inspectors.  I called and let our driver from Smiths know. 

This was the line

4AEF604B-1401-46CD-A4E9-0D473F8CCE94.thumb.jpeg.3a172a191736b76c9c44f83d7e82382b.jpeg

On 11/1/2018 at 8:12 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

It was rainy and cold today in London. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be sunny and a bit warmer. Safe travels to those crossing the pond now. 

Dianne, Peter & Henrietta

Thanks for the forecast. Was a bit chilly last night but looks lovely today. 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, h20cruzer said:

Wish I could travel that lite, this was luggage for 3 on my last TA on the Silhouette

image.png

Reminds me of the day when we traveled with our 3 kids.   I would look like a porter with bags piled high. 

17 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Greetings Jim_Iain! Beautiful day, relatively, here in Southampton today (Friday). Clear blue skies with lotsa sun. About 13c. Should be able to see Silhouette from our hotel room window tomorrow morning. Shall stroll down to the ship which is about 10 minutes away. Looking forward to meeting you and chatting about your recent Japanese trip. We are booked on Millenium for this time in 2019. Looking forward to a smooth crossing. Cheers! Crown Vic...

It is indeed a beautiful morning.   I got a nice 9 sleep last night and feeling great.  Looked out the window and sure enough there was she was.   Didn’t realize we were so close.  We may take a walk down to take a look.   We will probably stay at hotel until checkout time to head to the ship. 

5D07778B-3B52-4273-95DF-B75596201D16.thumb.jpeg.9827602abeb8177b76935a673a940b09.jpeg 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

Bon voyage!

Wishing you calm seas, balmy days & sunny skies.

Our one and only X cruise (so far) was on the Silhouette and our next (next Saturday) is on the Eclipse.

Will be following along and enjoying your wonderful posts from the ship.

From the itinerary change I’m expecting some rough seas on the first couple says bu look like the captain has made a wise decision to work his way south to calmer weather. 

12 hours ago, sbt518 said:

We were just saying that last night.  What if I had purchased those tickets to Hamilton.   

Geeze you you would think we were over with bad seas after being hit with two typhoons last month.   

We we are not particularly upset about canceling Bahamas.  We wave been so many times we were going to stay on the ship. 

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Same thing happened to us on the 2014 version of this cruise on the Eclipse.  They canceled the overnight in Bermuda and we arrived NYC 2 days late.  This was before they were doing Boston.  They made the announcement when we were boarding.  Yes made a mess of peoples NYC plans.  Lucky we had booked last minute and had no plans.  Got last minute tickets to Motown in the 3rd row with another couple we had met on the cruise.

Captain did a presentation on the weather system in the North Atlantic which caused him to take a much more southern route and then head back north to NYC.  There were reports of other ships that week returning with damage and at least one with a missing life boat.

I trust the Captain and much prefer a smoother warmer cruise rather than battling 20-30 foot waves for 5 days.  

Im sure it is a tremendous amount of work to change the cruise and all the excursions.  I’m sure we will have a FANTASTIC time.  

Luckily we we have not booked anything for this cruise. 

11 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Celebrity picked almost the worst possible itinerary change. Instead of say cancelling Boston or just delaying arrival into Boston, EVERY port is off by a day. Any Broadway shows are out the window and any other plans not made through Celebrity would need to be changed in some way.

The email and text we're sent out less than 24 hours before embarkation. Many guests are already in England and may not get the information until they board the ship.

I guess the new mentality of Celebrity is: "don't book anything private in any port because even a one day delay means not one port but all ports are changed."

Hopefully, corporate will wake up and change the itinerary (AGAIN) to decrease the sheer number of port calls that are altered.

I understand your sentiment but will not allow it to ruin our cruise.    To me everyday is a new adventure.  

Im glad I didn’t book any excursions.   My last cruise I had to cancel and reschedule 5 private tours.   Took me two week to get all the refunds processed. 

I think  they  will do what they did on Millennium and offer free phone calls from the ship for those needing to make alterations.