Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

20 minutes ago, chamima said:

Have a wonderful cruise!

I hope the high wind warnings are just a precaution and that you have smooth seas.

Sometime during the cruise can you ask Sue if she expects to be the "regular" cruise director for the Silhouette in the future. We're on the ship for a little over a month in February and I've found that the atmosphere around the ship in the evening really varies according to who is cruise director. Sue is one of the best and really makes sure there is lots going on.

Thanks

Sue left Silhouette on 21.07.18 and returned on 07.10.18 and I think I remember her saying that she works 12 weeks on the ship. However, she also used to have Christmas and New Year off, so her schedule is unpredictable.

I watched her vlog last night on Instagram, as there was no updating on C.C. She seemed excited that she was leaving for Boston, no mention of rough seas however.🤣🤣

• Like 1

Hello Jim,

I am enjoying following along.  I do have two questions - did you ever resolve the issue of VPN access being blocked?   It would make my life so much easier if DH knew that he could get some work done while on vacation.   We will be on Silhouette in January.   

My second question is just a little pet peeve.   We were on the Silhouette at the beginning of this year, and it seemed to me that whenever I asked for a glass of a particular wine at some of the bars (just reading off of the bar menu), they did not have it in stock.   At the beginning of the cruise I was told that they were still waiting for supplies to be delivered, and by the end of the week, they looked at me as if I was crazy, as I pointed to the wine on the menu.   It was definitely a French white wine, on the higher end of the premium beverage package pricing.   I don't know if I would have liked the wine, I just wanted the opportunity to actually have a taste.  And I always had the feeling that whatever was substituted was a cheaper wine.

• Like 1

Enjoying your posts. Have stayed in 1615 a number of times. Great location. Hopefully you will be able to use the big balcony.  I am on the Nov. 30 sailing. Would you mind checking if Niko, Cranston, and Margaret will in Michael’s  Club  for that cruise?  Thanks.

• Like 1

And I always had the feeling that whatever was substituted was a cheaper wine.

This was a pet peeve of passengers on the Premium package on our Baltic cruise. They complained that they were having Prosecco substituted for Champagne. I could understand stocks being low on our cruise, as we were unable to get into St Petersburg 1/2 July, due to high winds. We had to wait until we arrived in Germany to replenish stocks of Budweiser and then it was only available from the Sunset bar. Some servers were willing to go for it from the Oceanview Cafe, others were reluctant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotoal said:

We were on the Silhouette at the beginning of this year, and it seemed to me that whenever I asked for a glass of a particular wine at some of the bars (just reading off of the bar menu), they did not have it in stock.   At the beginning of the cruise I was told that they were still waiting for supplies to be delivered, and by the end of the week, they looked at me as if I was crazy, as I pointed to the wine on the menu.   It was definitely a French white wine, on the higher end of the premium beverage package pricing.   I don't know if I would have liked the wine, I just wanted the opportunity to actually have a taste.  And I always had the feeling that whatever was substituted was a cheaper wine.

We upgraded for the premium beverage menu, many of what I was wanting to enjoy or try seems to be missing.  Hope there is a nice selection when we board in December for the caribbean voyages. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Today got Saturday November 3

9DE44A09-F1A0-44DE-A3D8-F432BA71D9B8.thumb.jpeg.8b1212ee85cd63f66136f712864c61b5.jpeg

AF94087C-C541-4A95-AC2D-BD9B7A46E57F.thumb.jpeg.3e800bcd4861fd1a647a93a93bcd2071.jpeg

Thanks for posting the Today & the Spotlight! I enjoy reading them, makes me feel like I'm on board with you.  Your cabin pictures are fantastic, what a delightfull space, especially the balcony.  

Also, I thought Sue was going on the Edge? I hope she stays onboard at least until Christmas?  She does keep a fun ship! IF she is leaving, I wonder who will take her place. 

Edited by cruizefam
  • Like 1

Jim,  I'm sure you are happy to finally be onboard - and we are too.   Already I feel like I hit the jackpot with your posting of the Celebrity Today in it's entirety.    I'm sailing on December 9th and I had already asked you to find out if Ray Brown Jr band will still be onboard.   Now one more request..... can you ask GRM Migle Zukaite if she will still be onboard for Dec 9.   I worked with her in Baltimore 10 years ago when she was with another line, and it would be wonderful to see her again.   Thanks so much for all you are doing.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, we too will follow your posts with great interest as are also sailing on the Silhouette on Dec 9th. Fingers crossed Sue is still on board as she appears to be very popular. We have sailed Celebrity many times, but have not yet been on a ship she has been on.

Chris 

• Like 1

On November 3, 2018 at 10:24 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Our favorite waiter, Sony, has been in Luminae on our last 3 Silhouette sailings.  If you run into him tell him Mary Lou & Mike said hello and we lost his email address. Thanks

Sony was our waiter in July while on the Silhouette and and is also our favorite waiter. He was going home for a break (in August if I remember correctly) and jokingly said he couldn't return until his wife was pregnant!   Upon return later this year he will be on the Solstice which is our good fortune as we will aboard for an Australia/NZ cruise in February.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Sony was our waiter in July while on the Silhouette and and is also our favorite waiter. He was going home for a break (in August if I remember correctly) and jokingly said he couldn't return until his wife was pregnant!   Upon return later this year he will be on the Solstice which is our good fortune as we will aboard for an Australia/NZ cruise in February.  

We are just off the Silhouette and Sony is not on board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

Jim, did you make note of the navigation degrees that Captain George gave this morning, distance travelled and distance to Boston? I couldn’t hear them where I was as it too noisy to hear the announcement.

I didn't hear the exact position at 10:00 this morning.   I know he put a marking on the map outside the Oceanview.   

Currently we are at 45 58' 14" N

8 32' 45 W

Traveling at 18 Knots

Map of current location 

AE820FD0-3544-4ADB-B909-060196B50AC1.thumb.png.843b6fcad5c3b3a32dbd45c4e928481b.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Following!  We’re on board also, and it’s fun to read about what’s happening from someone else’s point of view.  Love your photos and descriptions!

Welcome.   Toss in your comments and observations.  We each have our own perspective and I am sure others would enjoy.   We rarely go to the shows.   We might attend them if it were like in the good 'ol days when they had a shows after early dining and after late dining.   

We really don't enjoy going to a show at 7:00 and usually go to dinner at 9:00.  

If you attend the shows,  I'm sure others would like to hear your opinion of them.

4 hours ago, chamima said:

Have a wonderful cruise!

I hope the high wind warnings are just a precaution and that you have smooth seas.

Sometime during the cruise can you ask Sue if she expects to be the "regular" cruise director for the Silhouette in the future. We're on the ship for a little over a month in February and I've found that the atmosphere around the ship in the evening really varies according to who is cruise director. Sue is one of the best and really makes sure there is lots going on.

Thanks

I'll see what I can find out.  

A couple of things I have found out so far -

Richard - who was on Millennium is now on Silhouette as Suites Manager

Nina - Hotel Director ends her contract when we arrive in Fort Lauderdale

Niko -  Was just promoted to Suites Manager on Infinity and just left the ship in Southampton

Vannessa Solano -  New Michael's Club Concierge replacing Niko.   She will be on until end of January and will then be replaced by John who is currently on Millennium.   

I saw Sue this morning at the Cruise Connections event but she left before I could talk with her. 

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome.   Toss in your comments and observations.  We each have our own perspective and I am sure others would enjoy.   We rarely go to the shows.   We might attend them if it were like in the good 'ol days when they had a shows after early dining and after late dining.   

We really don't enjoy going to a show at 7:00 and usually go to dinner at 9:00.  

If you attend the shows,  I'm sure others would like to hear your opinion of them.

We started boycotting the shows when they started scheduling them before dinner for late diners. We might see a show once in a blue moon, so I won’t be of much help there, I’m afraid.  We have been making a point of trying to listen to Ray Brown Jr, though.  We enjoy him a lot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotoal said:

Hello Jim,

I am enjoying following along.  I do have two questions - did you ever resolve the issue of VPN access being blocked?   It would make my life so much easier if DH knew that he could get some work done while on vacation.   We will be on Silhouette in January.   

My second question is just a little pet peeve.   We were on the Silhouette at the beginning of this year, and it seemed to me that whenever I asked for a glass of a particular wine at some of the bars (just reading off of the bar menu), they did not have it in stock.   At the beginning of the cruise I was told that they were still waiting for supplies to be delivered, and by the end of the week, they looked at me as if I was crazy, as I pointed to the wine on the menu.   It was definitely a French white wine, on the higher end of the premium beverage package pricing.   I don't know if I would have liked the wine, I just wanted the opportunity to actually have a taste.  And I always had the feeling that whatever was substituted was a cheaper wine.

Just tried ExpressVPN and was able to connect.   Really surprised me as it is blocked on both Constellation and Millennium.   As a safety net.   E-mail me (address in signature).   Someone passed onto me a VPN that worked on those ships.   Don't want to post for fear they will block it. 

I just tried going to a number of VPN websites and they all seem blocked.   I also searched on term VPN and clicked on a couple links with the top 10 VPN's and even that website was blocked. 

Regarding the wine.   We had the same experience on Millennium.  I don't drink myself but Iain drinks and would order a Glass of Chardonnay which was even on the menu in Cellar Masters and they were out.   They said they would make sure they had it the next night and again none.   They finally said they didn't have any left.   So far on this cruise they have had what he wanted.  

I'm guessing we are well supplied now that we are going to be at sea for an additional day.

Edited by Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Straughn said:

Enjoying your posts. Have stayed in 1615 a number of times. Great location. Hopefully you will be able to use the big balcony.  I am on the Nov. 30 sailing. Would you mind checking if Niko, Cranston, and Margaret will in Michael’s  Club  for that cruise?  Thanks.

I previously posted Niko just left Silhouette and just received a promotion to Suites Manager on Infinity.  I think she will be on vacation prior to joining Infinity.

New MCC is Vannessa Solano who was promoted to fill Niko's spot.   John who is on Millennium will take over when her contract ends in January.  

One interesting thing I discovered about 1615.  Behind the cocktail table is a Wifi Router.   Not sure if it just feeds our room.   On the first day the IT manager came up and asked if he could check it out  as they were getting failure on it.    He rebooted it and it fired up again.  

So far we get a strong signal and the Internet seems OK...not great.    I can live with it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I previously posted Niko just left Silhouette and just received a promotion to Suites Manager on Infinity.  I think she will be on vacation prior to joining Infinity.

New MCC is Vannessa Solano who was promoted to fill Niko's spot.   John who is on Millennium will take over when her contract ends in January.  

One interesting thing I discovered about 1615.  Behind the cocktail table is a Wifi Router.   Not sure if it just feeds our room.   On the first day the IT manager came up and asked if he could check it out  as they were getting failure on it.    He rebooted it and it fired up again.  

So far we get a strong signal and the Internet seems OK...not great.    I can live with it.  

There is a dead spot outside the Celebrity Suites at the Library. They may have place it to compensate. I had to go outside to the Library to use the internet when I was in that cabin.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruizefam said:

Thanks for posting the Today & the Spotlight! I enjoy reading them, makes me feel like I'm on board with you.  Your cabin pictures are fantastic, what a delightfull space, especially the balcony.  

Also, I thought Sue was going on the Edge? I hope she stays onboard at least until Christmas?  She does keep a fun ship! IF she is leaving, I wonder who will take her place. 

Thanks much.   I do enjoy the Hump CS's and hope to get to use the Balcony.   I'm sure by the time we get to Bermuda we will have nice warm weather. 

1 hour ago, NCHPcruiser said:

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We are just off the Silhouette and Sony is not on board.

Thanks, was hoping he might be on Reflection. (sorry to hi-jack the thread)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Orator said:

There is a dead spot outside the Celebrity Suites at the Library. They may have place it to compensate. I had to go outside to the Library to use the internet when I was in that cabin.

Ahh...  I seem to remember that now that you mentioned it.   We were in the same suite 2 years ago and I would have to sit in one of those alcoves overlooking the Library.   

Thanks for jogging my memory.