Delayed Embarkation at PE

RMLincoln

We are embarking Koningsdam Nov 11 at Ft Lauderdale's Port Everglades.  This is a Caribbean cruise, the first after the ship returns from Eurpoe and there is an inspection scheduled - all very understandable. 

A member of our roll call who is a TA posted a notice she received from HAL:  

Embarkation Time Changed

Please be advised that embarkation for your ms Koningsdam cruise departing on
Sunday, November 11th 2018 will now begin at 1:00 PM due to a required standard
annual inspection from the U.S. Coast Guard. This is a very thorough safety
inspection, requiring the participation of all crew while they exercise in
their emergency duties. We regret to advise that embarkation cannot begin until
the mandatory drill is satisfactorily completed. Space at the terminal will be
limited. Please arrive at the check-in time as indicated on the progressive
boarding schedule below. We look forward to welcoming you aboard ms Koningsdam.
At your leisure after 1pm- 4 & 5 Star Mariners, Neptune & Pinnacle Suite guests
1:00 PM - Deck 10 & 11 (Panorama & Sun)
1:30 PM - Deck 8 (Navigation)
2:00 PM - Deck 6 & 7 (Mozart & Schubert)
2:30 PM - Deck 5 (Gershwin)
3:00 PM - Deck 1 & 4 (Main & Beethoven)

Has anyone experienced this before at Port Everglades?  If so, would you share what your boarding experience was like? 

The kind person who posted this message received the notice because she is TA but others on the roll call have not, including myself; so I am concerned that at 1pm nearly everyone boarding the ship will be in the terminal, except for those few who may have gotten the message AND have a room on decks lower that deck 11; and those few who will be flying/driving in late.  

Thanks for any insights you can share.  Maureen

Brian, Do you think they will have enough seating at 1pm when the crush hits?   Or maybe we should try to hold up somewhere else?  I do understand that they have to do this, but I wish they would tell everybody who is booked.  <sigh>  m-- 

U.S. Coast Guard inspections involve an "all hands" crew drill, consisting of, initially a fire drill for all first responders, command & control and hotel staff. After about 30-40 minutes of "fire fighting, evacuating and isolating, that fire drill is then declared "out of control" and segues into a general muster for all crew, yes wearing life vests and warm clothing, with the exception of those required to stay at their work stations out of necessity. This munster 😉 is followed by a simulated abandon ship drill which includes the lowering to the water, and release of, all seaside tenders and lifeboats. This entire two-part drill can take up to one hour and 30 minutes and is followed by a debrief in front of the USCG inspection party (usually about five-eight petty officers led by a Coast Guard officer) usually held on the Bridge with the ship's captain, staff captain, E/O, deck and engine officers, security officer, medical officer and all team leaders. That one usually takes about 30 min.  

The coasties plan their evaluation in such a way that one of them stays/goes with all of the crew "primaries" of the drill, in other words; one goes with the initial first responder from the Bridge to the scene of the simulated fire (a smoke generating machine is frequently used for low visibility) after the fire alarm is received and assesses his/her response and reporting (advising the officer of the watch what he/she is observing, charging at least one nearby fire hose, evacuating surrounding cabins, closing fire screen doors). One coastie stays on the bridge where the alarm panels are located and assesses the response and overall command and control of, initially, the OOW and then the staff captain and captain. One goes to the ECR and stays there evaluating the performance of the engineering officers to the emergency. incl. the shutting down of ventilation systems in the affected fire zone. Another goes with one of the fire teams "fighting the fire" and evaluations tactics and techniques used with an emphasis on safety and taking care of the problem. Yet another stays with the on-scene commander (either the Deck 1st officer and/or the staff chief engineer) and evaluates his/her performance (tactics, communications, SCBA management, boundary control, etc.) during the fire drill.

Hose stations, the conditions of the fire hoses, and water pressure are inspected. PPE is checked, as are fire screen and water tight doors. Other coasties start roaming around to ensure that the "hot zone" is properly evacuated, the scene isolated, ensures medical is doing their job when casualties are encountered, starts asking questions to stairway guides and, later during the abandon ship drill, starts asking general questions to the assembled crew at their boat and raft stations. USCG staff also inspects all life boats/tenders, lowering systems (davits) for functionality, and quizzes boat and asst. boat commanders as to their general knowledge. All these procedures and the ability by crew to show that they know what they're doing is evaluated and documented by the USCG staff. All that will be discussed during the debrief in which no punches are pulled

When the debrief is completed, USCG staff will accompany the staff captain to his office where all documents as to ship and crew mandated training and certificates is reviewed. Another coastie will do the same with the chief engineer while yet others check fire suppression systems. It's a pretty involved inspection and I've seen USCG staff depart the ship up to an hour before departure (pax are already onboard then of course)

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

Thank you John, great way to envision it all!  Always appreciate you sharing your deep experience.

Working with the local fire department for the last 16 yrs I can relate to much of this, and for our trainings, I know it's never a good plan to think they will end early!  I'm starting to think we may want to avoid the terminal until more like 3pm!  Not sure what we'll do.... I don't want our luggage lost,  but I'd like to hear from those who have waited for the inspection before boarding.  If you showed up at 1pm did you have a place to sit?  I'd rather not be sitting on the floor....  in a crush of unhappy travelers.  

21 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Yes, I've experienced delayed embarkation in PE before (due to a deep clean, not inspection), a few years ago. I would stay as long as you can elsewhere, like your hotel, and board later.   We didn't and regretted it.

Great advice 🙂. We had delayed embarkation in Civi due to Noro.  Very few got the email and there was a mass of people there for boarding.  

We didn't get it and had originally planned to arrive around 1:30 pm, however, due to a railroad strike, our hotel recommended our private transfer be changed to an earlier time as there would be a big request for cars and we could be delayed getting ours to come.

So 4 of us were there at noon instead 😞 We boarded somewhere around 1:30 -2.  To HAL's credit they did serve us coffee, tea, juices and sandwiches.  Lunch was available once we boarded.

Seating was limited there and I gave up my chair to someone who needed it more than I.

We had it happen in San Diego many years ago -- due to Noro virus and deep cleaning.

The majority of us did not know that there was going to be a delayed embarkation.  We were jammed back in the terminal.  They tried to convince people to go and eat somewhere.  Most didn't want to leave.  We didn't board the ship until after 2 PM.  No cookies or anything served by HAL in the terminal.

We had gotten there at 10:30 -- it was a long sit.

Oh KK, thanks for chiming in, but this is what I'm thinking may happen.  Although John seemed to present a picture of a structured, dare I say predictable inspection process, so maybe it won't drag on into mid-afternoon?  Just not sure how to approach this.  I wonder if they will take luggage at more normal times, then people can go elsewhere, but not easily.  Might be better to show up later after they have begun allowing passengers board and they are putting luggage on.  

RN-BOb:  Even if people receive the message, and it's not clear that that's happening...  no, I don't expect most to follow the instructions, so by 1pm I think the terminal will be an overcrowded zoo of tempers and unpleasantness, with no place to sit.  I really don't want to start my vacation like that so we will have to consider our options.  

21 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Oh KK, thanks for chiming in, but this is what I'm thinking may happen.  Although John seemed to present a picture of a structured, dare I say predictable inspection process, so maybe it won't drag on into mid-afternoon?  Just not sure how to approach this.  I wonder if they will take luggage at more normal times, then people can go elsewhere, but not easily.  Might be better to show up later after they have begun allowing passengers board and they are putting luggage on.  

RN-BOb:  Even if people receive the message, and it's not clear that that's happening...  no, I don't expect most to follow the instructions, so by 1pm I think the terminal will be an overcrowded zoo of tempers and unpleasantness, with no place to sit.  I really don't want to start my vacation like that so we will have to consider our options.  

Those drills usually commence around 10:00 AM, totally dependent on when the USCG decides to show up, mind you. Once they start with the fire drill, they follow an established and structured scenario/pattern. Unless I missed it, you didn't say which cat you are in, Maureen. If I was in your shoes, I would have my lunch ashore around 11:45-12:00 PM and then mozy over to the port, around 1:30-2:00 PM. Have a great cruise on the nice K-dam, btw!

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

We are embarking Koningsdam Nov 11 at Ft Lauderdale's Port Everglades.  This is a Caribbean cruise, the first after the ship returns from Eurpoe(ship is not 'returning'  but making a maiden call. and there is an inspection scheduled - all very understandable. 

A member of our roll call who is a TA posted a notice she received from HAL:  

Embarkation Time Changed

Please be advised that embarkation for your ms Koningsdam cruise departing on
Sunday, November 11th 2018 will now begin at 1:00 PM due to a required standard
annual inspection from the U.S. Coast Guard. This is a very thorough safety
inspection, requiring the participation of all crew while they exercise in
their emergency duties. We regret to advise that embarkation cannot begin until
the mandatory drill is satisfactorily completed. Space at the terminal will be
limited. Please arrive at the check-in time as indicated on the progressive
boarding schedule below. We look forward to welcoming you aboard ms Koningsdam.
At your leisure after 1pm- 4 & 5 Star Mariners, Neptune & Pinnacle Suite guests
1:00 PM - Deck 10 & 11 (Panorama & Sun)
1:30 PM - Deck 8 (Navigation)
2:00 PM - Deck 6 & 7 (Mozart & Schubert)
2:30 PM - Deck 5 (Gershwin)
3:00 PM - Deck 1 & 4 (Main & Beethoven)

Has anyone experienced this before at Port Everglades?  If so, would you share what your boarding experience was like? 

The kind person who posted this message received the notice because she is TA but others on the roll call have not, including myself; so I am concerned that at 1pm nearly everyone boarding the ship will be in the terminal, except for those few who may have gotten the message AND have a room on decks lower that deck 11; and those few who will be flying/driving in late.  

Thanks for any insights you can share.  Maureen

This is very usual and to be expected.    Usually  the crew quickly organizes  themselves when the inspection is successfully completed.  But, be patient and keep in min d you chose to     sail a maiden voyage (no matter what they now call it) and  the crew is working on getting a rhythem working  together   an d that   takes time for them to build a 'mooth flow together'.  You are bound to encounter some small crew glitches   You'll have a great time.   Do what the notice said as to embarkation. It likely will not be too long a delay.   The '  trials' of a maiden voyage and /or a ship coming to a U.S.  port either brand new or returning after a noteable absence,

Edited by sail7seas

Thread hijack ...

What’s the chance of a similar USCG inspection/drill occurrence when the K’dam returns to Port Everglades on 10-Dec-2018 for its 1st cruise after drydock (in Freeport, Bahamas; Dec 02-09, 2018) ? 

Thanks.  Dogstar. 

4 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

Thread hijack ...

What’s the chance of a similar USCG inspection/drill occurrence when the K’dam returns to Port Everglades on 10-Dec-2018 for its 1st cruise after drydock (in Freeport, Bahamas; Dec 02-09, 2018) ? 

Thanks.  Dogstar. 

Not gonna happen! These type of inspections and the certificate issued by the coasties as a result, occur on a semi-annual basis and are valid for that time period. Now, she could incur a USPH inspection on 10 Dec, but those do not impact boarding of new pax on a turnaround day

Thank you John, I appreciate your words of wisdom, or at least experience!  We are 4* Mariners with a room on Deck 4, one of those hated forward steel railing balconies - but got it for the same price as an OV, so why not have a place to sit outside!    We will take your suggestion to heart!!  and stomach...  have lunch ashore and mosey on late... 

Yes, we experienced a delay due to mechanical issue between the Bahamas and Port Everglades. Departure was delayed a few hours, but that was the only significant thing. Yep, we stood in the terminal and watched, but there was absolutely nothing that could be done. We knew nothing about it until we reached the pier!

It was better than boarding at 5:00 p.m. Image that!?

Jim

Edited by JimnKaren

23 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Hi  Maureen,

Sending very best wishes to you both for a wonderful cruise.

Enjoy the balcony.

Kia Ora!  Hope all is well with you both, and in your part of the world.  I do think we will enjoy the balcony, it's larger than most and it will be nice to sit out.  We booked late and not much was available.  Our goal is to enjoy the Lincoln Center Stage musicians, and to rest, do just a little kayaking.  I've been following the current blog of of Mr Whogo, he is jogging my rich memories of your land!  Stay well, and thank you!  m--

24 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

Yes, we experienced a delay due to mechanical issue between the Bahamas and Port Everglades. Departure was delayed a few hours, but that was the only significant thing. Yep, we stood in the terminal and watched, but there was absolutely nothing that could be done. We knew nothing about it until we reached the pier!

It was better than boarding at 5:00 p.m. Image that!?

Jim

Ewww... so the lesson maybe is don't go too early, don't go too late.  I wish I had as much faith in the HAL recommendation as Sail does (above), I think we will follow John's advice, have lunch and then shoot for 2:30 at the terminal, hopefully after the back-log has thinned.  Thank you for your input.  m--  

19 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Kia Ora!  Hope all is well with you both, and in your part of the world.  I do think we will enjoy the balcony, it's larger than most and it will be nice to sit out.  We booked late and not much was available.  Our goal is to enjoy the Lincoln Center Stage musicians, and to rest, do just a little kayaking.  I've been following the current blog of of Mr Whogo, he is jogging my rich memories of your land!  Stay well, and thank you!  m--

All is well here, as we count down the days until we board Maasdam.

Sounds like you will have very relaxing cruise.

Maybe you will have an opportunity to have dinner on the balcony.

Yes, Mr Whogo seems to be enjoying his visit to our little country.

Travel safely.