I'm just off the Nieuw Amsterdam after a 14-Day cruise! Any questions?

ASIWISH

1. The cruise was outstanding! It was very typical of a Holland America experience!
  2. We cruised the Western Carribbean (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel) and the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas).
  3. We tried all the specialty restaurants several times. Pinnacle offered great food, and atmosphere - but the food quality seemed to be much closer to the main dining room than it had been in the past. The room made up for it, though. Ann at the reception desk was awesome!
  4. The staff at the MDR is absolutely increadible, but the food choices and quality seem to have fallen off dramatically over the past few years. We enjoyed every  night, but never really went crazy over any dish - except the lobster. It was perfect both nights!
  5. The tamarind was the best meal we ate... and the staff was over attentive. Very welcoming and concerned we were happy!
  6. Cabin was great! Cabin 4129, with a 14-foot balcony! Grab this one!!! It was great! Two reclining chairs with stools, a lounger, and small end table!
  7. I believe our cabin a V, or a VA category. I don't recall.

Do you recall a Tempura Shrimp in the MDR?  Other than the great service, that is the one thing that I remember about sailing with HAL.  I have read that Escargo is only offered once in the MDR during a 7 night cruise.   Do you know if any food can be requested more than once?   I like it as an appetizer every night.  Speaking of the menu, how does HAL now work it?  Some cruiselines have started combined the appetizer menu with the soup salad menu, in addition to the main entree.   So instead of choosing an appetizer, a soup or a salad, and entree (3 courses), they encourage you to choose between an appetizer, soup or salad. 

It's been several years since we were on HAL..  Will sail on the NA next month. :classic_smile:  Glad you had a fabulous cruise! 

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Do you know if any food can be requested more than once? 

Speaking of the menu, how does HAL now work it?  Some cruiselines have started combined the appetizer menu with the soup salad menu, in addition to the main entree.   So instead of choosing an appetizer, a soup or a salad, and entree (3 courses), they encourage you to choose between an appetizer, soup or salad. 

You can put in a standing order for your escargot. Your request may or may not be granted, but it does no harm to ask.

As far as limiting courses goes, if it's on the menu, you can order it. If you want two appetizers and a soup, just ask. Also, sometimes you can get an entrée portion of an appetizer, or an appetizer portion of an entrée, so don't be shy about asking for what you want.
If you don't ask, you don't get!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Do you recall a Tempura Shrimp in the MDR?  Other than the great service, that is the one thing that I remember about sailing with HAL.  I have read that Escargo is only offered once in the MDR during a 7 night cruise.   Do you know if any food can be requested more than once?   I like it as an appetizer every night.  Speaking of the menu, how does HAL now work it?  Some cruiselines have started combined the appetizer menu with the soup salad menu, in addition to the main entree.   So instead of choosing an appetizer, a soup or a salad, and entree (3 courses), they encourage you to choose between an appetizer, soup or salad. 

It's been several years since we were on HAL..  Will sail on the NA next month. :classic_smile:  Glad you had a fabulous cruise! 

I see Ruth answered below... shes a far better expert than me, but I'll add a few lines:

I didn't notice tempura shrimp on the menu, but the shrimp cocktail and coconut shrimp was excellent. A show stopper was the Cajun spiced shrimp... we could have order 13 more portions!!!!

we discussed escargot on the last night, and were really disappointed. Nancy ALWAYS ordered it and got it... we just forgot this time! It's a great memory. I don't know if they still do it, but ask!!! 

You can order anything you want. 2,3,4,5,6 courses... we did it one night!!! A little embarrassing, but everything sounded so good! Our server encouraged it... he said whatever makes you happy

Example: One night Nancy mentioned how she wished they offered carrot cake, which was our wedding cake. Our waiter wasn't there when she said it, but must have heard it. The next night, and every night for the rest of the cruise he surprised Nancy with a Slice. He said he put a request in with the chef, and the request was granted... how wonderful!!

8 hours ago, ASIWISH said:

I just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam after a two week cruise. Any questions for me?

I'm happy to answer anything I can!

Welcome ashore! My DW and I are sailing to the Eastern Caribbean next Sunday and can't wait!

Two questions - would you happen to have any menus to share, and how was the entertainment? We are hoping BBC Earth Live is offered, and looking forward to the Lincoln Center Stage concerts.

I didn't grab any menus... sorry!

Entertainment was okay... a stand up comic and a female vocal impersonator. Nothing to write home about, but the price was right.

BBC Earth Live is offered and it's beautiful!

Lincoln Center Stage was outstanding and had a packed house every show!

20 hours ago, ASIWISH said:

Once, each week! It was incredible. Probably 7-8 different choices of gorgeous desserts. There was plenty to go around. Very fun!

Where is a good place to hang out to be able to sample everything? Sounds wonderful!

Our Feb cruise will our first time on NA and we are bringing our moms and kids. So looking forwards to a new to us HAL ship. Tamarind is something we are all looking forwards to. Sounds right up our alley. 

Edited by fatcat04

We hung out in front of the Lincoln Center Stage... very strategic location!! 😎

It got got very crowded by the BB King Theatre.

There was plenty to go around, so anywhere was probably a good choice.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, RuthC said:

You can put in a standing order for your escargot. Your request may or may not be granted, but it does no harm to ask.

As far as limiting courses goes, if it's on the menu, you can order it. If you want two appetizers and a soup, just ask. Also, sometimes you can get an entrée portion of an appetizer, or an appetizer portion of an entrée, so don't be shy about asking for what you want.
If you don't ask, you don't get!

On 11/5/2018 at 8:37 PM, ASIWISH said:

I see Ruth answered below... shes a far better expert than me, but I'll add a few lines:

I didn't notice tempura shrimp on the menu, but the shrimp cocktail and coconut shrimp was excellent. A show stopper was the Cajun spiced shrimp... we could have order 13 more portions!!!!

we discussed escargot on the last night, and were really disappointed. Nancy ALWAYS ordered it and got it... we just forgot this time! It's a great memory. I don't know if they still do it, but ask!!! 

You can order anything you want. 2,3,4,5,6 courses... we did it one night!!! A little embarrassing, but everything sounded so good! Our server encouraged it... he said whatever makes you happy

Example: One night Nancy mentioned how she wished they offered carrot cake, which was our wedding cake. Our waiter wasn't there when she said it, but must have heard it. The next night, and every night for the rest of the cruise he surprised Nancy with a Slice. He said he put a request in with the chef, and the request was granted... how wonderful!!

Thanks so much to the both of you! 

It was the Coconut Shrimp that I was thinking about.  Glad to know they still have it!