Dress Code - Regal Princess

mustang$

5 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

A poster on this thread said the Dress Code plaques have been removed from the entrance of the MDR’s.   Is this true?  Since?

I will be sailing on Grand Princess to the Mexican Riviera in January 2019, and will look for the Dress Code plaques, and check the Patters as well.

I haven't noticed any on our recent cruises entering the ATD room.....I will say that it appears dress is becoming much more casual on the cruises we have recently been on......I really do not care what anyone wears to the ATD and always find the CC Dress Code Forums to be "much ado about nothing!!"

1 hour ago, mustang$ said:

Shorts is a comfort thing as well as a Florida thing - totally agree with recent post that MDR is not fine or gourmet dining but it beats eating at the Buffet.  Here in Florida I can go to Capital Grille, Abe & Louie or basically any other steak house & wear nice shorts & dress shirt - I've never felt out of place. I've reached that stage in life that I just want to be comfortable & enjoy life.1105978104_dnbluetop.thumb.jpg.5f51a403a293edd50ddd2daecab14cf6.jpg 

good lookin' couple.  

Image result for hat tip gif

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

It's a Florida thing.

And a Georgia thing. And an Alabama thing. And a California thing. And a Texas thing. And an Arizona thing. And a New Mexico thing. And a Virginia thing And a South Carolina thing.  Allomg with a few more states.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:57 AM, geocruiser said:

I have a question and I would like to hear the different views on it.

Does any one think that the quality/ type of food in the main dinning room will be changed to go with a more casual style dress?  Ex. now I have seen meat loaf on the menu (while good, to me is is more of a causal dinner).  Does Princess think the way people dress reflects  in their choices of food?

These are just questions, I am not putting any one down or up for the way they choose to dress.

I think they lowered the quality of the menu before the change in dress.  I dont think we can blame those who dont want to dress up for dinner.  

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes it is. Since we paid for our vacation we should be able to choose our clothing as long as it clean and presentable. 

I see nothing wrong with a decent pair of shorts? There worn every day at breakfast and lunch, so now they're accepted them at dinner also.

Thank you Princess, my DH appreciates your understanding.  :classic_smile:

Who decides if it’s clean enough and presentable enough, after all they paid for their cruise too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BDRebel said:

True, but some of us dinosaurs refuse to go extinct!:classic_smile:

Look, I'm not saying if the change is a good or bad thing. What I am saying is the times they are a changin' and Princess recognizes this.

A good analogy is my 93 year old mother who is appalled at the way people dress on airplanes nowadays. She remembers the good old days when people "dressed" when they traveled. Ahhh...but air travel back in the day was so much different than it is today. As is cruise traveling on the mass market lines.

I actually like to dress up and do so every night on the cruise even though I don't have to.  Steve would prefer to not dress up but brings his suit for formal nights to appease me and wears his nice pants and a collared shirt on all other nights. He also goes straight back to the cabin and changes as soon as dinner is over...:classic_rolleyes:

I can't say I am ever really bothered by what other people are wearing....perhaps we are too busy focusing on having a good time.

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Who decides if it’s clean enough and presentable enough, after all they paid for their cruise too.

Why the person who chooses to wear that clothing of course. It's the way they've been doing it forever now.

No one has ever been turned away for dirty or smelly clothing. 

14 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

These dress code threads always bum me out. I was looking forward to my Princess cruise in Jan 2020 because I've done NCL and will be on Carnival (Again) in January 2019. I thought with the more "elegant" dress code it would be a more refined dining experience. I am paying more for this cruise than either of the other lines. I follow the rules and will be dressing according to policy.

I am not sure why people think because they "paid for this trip" they should get whatever they want. You get what you pay for. Part of what you pay for are the policies of the cruise line and you agree to follow them when you check that little box. If you don't want to wear clothing that is in accordance with the dress code, book a cruise with a line that has a dress code you prefer...

I agree. We’ve had good luck with traditional dining. Granted we’ve only taken 14 cruises in the last three years but our table mates have always been quite nice. We show up the first night dressed appropriately and while some may not have their luggage yet by the second night everyone’s dressed per the written code. 

I think if we were seated with a ball cap wearer (or T-shirt..........) we’d ask to be moved to different table. Folks who don’t plan well enough on embarkation day to have something better than a T-shirt would probably not be someone I’d want to dine with for a week or more. And they will be releaved not to dine with me. So win-win!  

We are the tux and gown folks on formal nights.  We wear cocktail dresses and suits otherwise. We aren’t the only ones by any stretch. Folks who follow the dress code tend to find each other, it’s pretty easy. LOL. But we don’t sail on the Royal Class ships either. Maybe that’s the difference. Perhaps that class of ship attracts a different demographic?  

If you truly want to experience the elegance of dressing for dinner take a TA crossing on the QM2. It’s amazing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I agree. We’ve had good luck with traditional dining. Granted we’ve only taken 14 cruises in the last three years but our table mates have always been quite nice. We show up the first night dressed appropriately and while some may not have their luggage yet by the second night everyone’s dressed per the written code. 

I think if we were seated with a ball cap wearer (or T-shirt..........) we’d ask to be moved to different table. Folks who don’t plan well enough on embarkation day to have something better than a T-shirt would probably not be someone I’d want to dine with for a week or more. And they will be releaved not to dine with me. So win-win!  

We are the tux and gown folks on formal nights.  We wear cocktail dresses and suits otherwise. We aren’t the only ones by any stretch. Folks who follow the dress code tend to find each other, it’s pretty easy. LOL. But we don’t sail on the Royal Class ships either. Maybe that’s the difference. Perhaps that class of ship attracts a different demographic?  

If you truly want to experience the elegance of dressing for dinner take a TA crossing on the QM2. It’s amazing. 

agree, the dress code in the TD room should be strictly enforced...AD, well, it is what it is becoming...which gives both agendas what they are seeking

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

agree, the dress code in the TD room should be strictly enforced...AD, well, it is what it is becoming...which gives both agendas what they are seeking

Only if AD diners can eat in the TD room. Which will truly give both agendas that some are seeking.

And it is strictly enforced for both male and females to be equal. That would be fun to watch.

Edited by Potstech
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

Great idea. 

It's been suggested many times over the years and it looks like they're headed in that direction. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1