Dress Code - Regal Princess

mustang$

Sailing on 11/18 & was wondering what the dress code for dining room was on Non-Formal Nights.  I like wearing nice - dress shorts & was wondering if anybody, who has recently sailed on the Regal, can tell me if the long pants rule was enforced by the Maitre D' - this is a Caribbean Cruise.  I've sailed on the Regal 4 previous times & this was not enforced. 

4 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Shorts are never allowed on any Princess ship at dinner in the dining room, even Smart Casual nights. Doesn’t matter if they’re dress shorts or gold plated.  If you’ve gotten away with it, you’ve been lucky. 

First night ( waiting on luggage ) and last night ( bags outside cabin ) I've worn shorts, never turned away, or seen anyone turned away - Caribbean cruises - just sayin'.   Even talked to a Dinner Jacket dude in the mdr.

Also on the second night, a 'gentleman' was behind us in shorts - again talked to a Dinner Jacket dude - and he explained he would talk to the patron and advise him that shorts would NOT be allowed the next night, which was a formal night.

This is from actual experience...

simple solution. on our canada cruise last week no one has shorts on 🙂 so just go to colder weather and we will all be wrapped in blankets. 

i gotta say princess temps are very good. on NCL i was literally freezing some of the time. 

i was on the ship during halloween and dont know what would happen if you had a costume with shorts though....

5 hours ago, mustang$ said:

Sailing on 11/18 & was wondering what the dress code for dining room was on Non-Formal Nights.  I like wearing nice - dress shorts & was wondering if anybody, who has recently sailed on the Regal, can tell me if the long pants rule was enforced by the Maitre D' - this is a Caribbean Cruise.  I've sailed on the Regal 4 previous times & this was not enforced. 

Onboard the Regal now. No shorts allowed in the DR for dinner.  Check out the Princess policy for dress. Its the same across the fleet regardless of region.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Renmar said:

Women are rarely turned away no matter what they wear:classic_smile:, for men it is a different story :classic_rolleyes:.

Theo

Guess I could wear shorts and tell them

that my “pronoun” of the day is Ms.🤔🤔

But we are on the Regal now and have seen no men in the MDR in shorts and not even many ball caps.  But did see guy who always wears a toothpick between his lips.

Hank

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Shorts are never allowed on any Princess ship at dinner in the dining room, even Smart Casual nights. Doesn’t matter if they’re dress shorts or gold plated.  If you’ve gotten away with it, you’ve been lucky. 

We were on the Caribbean Princess on October 18, 2018 10 day cruise and every night except formal nights there were men in the ATD room with shorts on.....I think they allow for more casual dress on some of the Caribbean cruises?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Haboob said:

Full-rig (blazer, tie, and knee-socks) or just Bermudas and something?

No, I'm from Boston and dress shorts are referred to as Bermuda shorts.  So he had dress shorts on and a polo (tennis) shirt on.  

I never really notice what other people have on, but did because it happened right in front of me.

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

We were on the Caribbean Princess on October 18, 2018 10 day cruise and every night except formal nights there were men in the ATD room with shorts on.....I think they allow for more casual dress on some of the Caribbean cruises?

We are in the Caribbean, see post #5.

11 hours ago, Renmar said:

Women are rarely turned away no matter what they wear:classic_smile:, for men it is a different story :classic_rolleyes:.

Theo

I once complained to the maitre-d about the double standard when I continually saw women admitted to the MDR in flip flops, pajama like bottoms and a black like tshirt.  I was told that women can wear about anything since the staff cannot really question them while men have a "standard".   It is more called a double standard.  

Personally what others wear in the MDR does not impact my meal one bit.  I do like to watch and note deviations from the so called "standard" which seems to be getting more frequent.  

• Like 1

Currently on the Caribbean Princess on casual nights in the anytime dining room my DH has been wearing his cargo shorts with not even a slightest comment or hesitation about being seated. They don't even bother to post any dress code signs outside the DR door any longer. The only place it was mentioned was in the patter on the first day only.

I only saw 3 other guys wearing shorts on casual evenings. 

For formal evenings he wore his dress shirt last night without any jacket & previously on another formal night, a Polo shirt & it was fine.  It make me wonder if they've abandoned the dress code altogether.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Currently on the Caribbean Princess on casual nights in the anytime dining room my DH has been wearing his cargo shorts with not even a slightest comment or hesitation about being seated. They don't even bother to post any dress code signs outside the DR door any longer. The only place it was mentioned was in the patter on the first day only.

I only saw 3 other guys wearing shorts on casual evenings. 

For formal evenings he wore his dress shirt last night without any jacket & previously on another formal night, a Polo shirt & it was fine.  It make me wonder if they've abandoned the dress code altogether.

This was our experience on the Caribbean Princess in October too.....shorts were allowed in ATD and no one was stopped that we were aware of.  Two of our friends husbands both wore shorts on casual evenings too.....even so Princess purists will not want to believe this fact!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

This was our experience on the Caribbean Princess in October too.....shorts were allowed in ATD and no one was stopped that we were aware of.  Two of our friends husbands both wore shorts on casual evenings too.....even so Princess purists will not want to believe this fact!!

I believe it but I don't like it, just another factor in the  downwards trend  of what was a pretty nice cruise line with respectful passengers

Having said that I have never noticed what diners wore on a casual dinnertime. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Griller said:

I believe it but I don't like it, just another factor in the  downwards trend  of what was a pretty nice cruise line with respectful passengers

Having said that I have never noticed what diners wore on a casual dinnertime. 

why do shorts people necessarily have to be disrespectful? i wear them all the time and i think i'm a really nice guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

why do shorts people necessarily have to be disrespectful? i wear them all the time and i think i'm a really nice guy

No doubt there are places where males over the age of 10 would wear them to church and not be thought disrespectful.

No doubt there are people who wear clown suits and are really nice guys as well.

I think it just depends on the situation, I wear shorts myself in our somewhat tropical climate, however strangely not when I am doing yard work - too much risk of snakebite with bare legs.

• Haha 1

I have a question and I would like to hear the different views on it.

Does any one think that the quality/ type of food in the main dinning room will be changed to go with a more casual style dress?  Ex. now I have seen meat loaf on the menu (while good, to me is is more of a causal dinner).  Does Princess think the way people dress reflects  in their choices of food?

These are just questions, I am not putting any one down or up for the way they choose to dress.

50 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I have a question and I would like to hear the different views on it.

Does any one think that the quality/ type of food in the main dinning room will be changed to go with a more casual style dress?  Ex. now I have seen meat loaf on the menu (while good, to me is is more of a causal dinner).  Does Princess think the way people dress reflects  in their choices of food?

These are just questions, I am not putting any one down or up for the way they choose to dress.

I've eaten' sloppy Joe's in a Armani  suit.  I've eaten lobster in the middle of summer in shorts. I feel outta place when my server is dressed in a tux and I'm under dressed. I tend to rise to the occasion. Perhaps the dress code is an attempt at changing the atmosphere on board the ship.

• Like 3