Coffee Card Update on B2B Cruises

San Diego Ellie

On Ruby now for the third week of a B2B2B and believe it or not, you need a new coffee (electronic) card each week.  There is no carry over as there has previously been with B2B where for coffee card purposes B2B was considered one cruise.  This is a real takeway!  The price of the "card" is still around $37, even for one week, and for us as elites, we needed to trade in three bar setups for coffee coverage for the three one week consecutive cruises on the same ship.

I know there have been loads of threads on the new coffee card system, but this takeaway regarding B2B is the most unacceptable feature of the change.  I hope that a lot of people will contact Princess to tell them how unfair this change is.

If I wrote to Princess:

This might be their response: 

While we would love to keep you as a passenger on our ships, we understand that this issue is so important to you that we feel you would enjoy cruising on Royal Caribbean branded ships. Enjoy your future cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, San Diego Ellie said:

On Ruby now for the third week of a B2B2B and believe it or not, you need a new coffee (electronic) card each week.  There is no carry over as there has previously been with B2B where for coffee card purposes B2B was considered one cruise.  This is a real takeway!  The price of the "card" is still around $37, even for one week, and for us as elites, we needed to trade in three bar setups for coffee coverage for the three one week consecutive cruises on the same ship.

I know there have been loads of threads on the new coffee card system, but this takeaway regarding B2B is the most unacceptable feature of the change.  I hope that a lot of people will contact Princess to tell them how unfair this change is.

While I have no doubt that your report is accurate, this has not been the reports from passengers on other Princess ships. I have read on these boards more than once that unused espresso drinks have remained on their cruise card for the next voyage, but the brewed coffee option expired after the first voyage. Princess really messed up what was a simple process. 

3 hours ago, San Diego Ellie said:

There is no such thing as a a coffee card anymore.  You purchase a Coffee Package on a cruise by cruise basis.  You agreed to that when you signed your Passenger Contract.  Did you read it?  How can it be unfair when it was clearly stated in writing?  

32 minutes ago, skynight said:

While I have no doubt that your report is accurate, this has not been the reports from passengers on other Princess ships. I have read on these boards more than once that unused espresso drinks have remained on their cruise card for the next voyage, but the brewed coffee option expired after the first voyage. Princess really messed up what was a simple process. 

I am about to head out on my first cruise since the whole electronic coffee card deal... 

I have several unpunched, undated cards from trading in elite mini bars. I know I have some time to use them, but once they are gone- I will most certainly miss the old system. Sometimes technology is NOT advantageous. (and for the record- I only used the punches- never the brewed coffee and rarely the premium tea feature).

SMH 

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I’ve read the same thing...it’s just the latest example of Princess being consistently inconsistent! 🙄

It’s been 6 months since the change to the electronic coffee program & it should be standardized by now.

A year from now we have a 28 day cruise that could be booked as 7, 7, 14 days.  Since I’m booked for 28 days our single coffee program should be valid for brewed coffee (and 15 specialty coffees each) throughout our 28 day cruise.  We’ll confirm that fact before exchanging the first of our 3 elite minibars.  If denied, will show them a copy of their rules that it’s valid for the duration of our cruise which is 28 days.

In the Spring we have B2B 7 day cruises...wonder which procedure we’ll have on those cruises. 🤔

Being on the Royal & Sky we’ll have the improved free coffee made from ground coffee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

4 hours ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

There is no such thing as a a coffee card anymore.  You purchase a Coffee Package on a cruise by cruise basis.  You agreed to that when you signed your Passenger Contract.  Did you read it?  How can it be unfair when it was clearly stated in writing?  

Not clearly stated. What is a cruise? Is it the duration of your booking number? The duration of multiple booking numbers when you stay on board as b2b's? I don't think Princess clearly has spelled this out, thus the uncertainly among passengers and crew as well. I don't remember ever seeing beverage packages anywhere in the Passenger Contract. It may not be unfair, but the rules are certainly unclear.

27 minutes ago, skynight said:

Not clearly stated. What is a cruise? Is it the duration of your booking number? The duration of multiple booking numbers when you stay on board as b2b's? I don't think Princess clearly has spelled this out, thus the uncertainly among passengers and crew as well. I don't remember ever seeing beverage packages anywhere in the Passenger Contract. It may not be unfair, but the rules are certainly unclear.

The Terms & Conditions define their policy but based on posts how it’s applied has varied.

• The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.

Like other Princess statements it could be better defined.  For example, for B2B 7 cruises it would appear that the voyage would end at the end of each 7 day cruise.  If the same cruises were booked as a single 14 day cruise then the voyage ends after day 14 & should be usable for the entire 14 day voyage.

That’s how I read it but based on posts sometimes Princess crewmembers make their own interpretation about how the electronic coffee package works.

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, skynight said:

It’s clear you have never scanned your Passenger Contract, Section 1. Paragraph 4., “"Cruise" means the scheduled voyage as published in the travel summary and/or boarding pass issued in connection with this Passage Contract, as may be amended pursuant to this Passage Contract, from the port of embarkation to the port of disembarkation, and also includes any air, rail, road or sea transport and any land accommodation components of any land-sea package sold, taken with or included in the price of the Cruise, and any activities, shore excursions, tours, or shoreside facilities related to or offered during the Cruise.”

As for beverage packages, you are correct, however they are described in your Onboard Reservations - Beverage Packages.

I’d say that is very clear.  And if you don’t like it, you can take Princess to binding arbitration in the state of California (Section 15. (B) (ii)).  

C6110007-2C2B-4D6C-A1B5-E6FDD8405C81.jpeg

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve read the same thing...it’s just the latest example of Princess being consistently inconsistent! 🙄

It’s been 6 months since the change to the electronic coffee program & it should be standardized by now.

A year from now we have a 28 day cruise that could be booked as 7, 7, 14 days.  Since I’m booked for 28 days our single coffee program should be valid for brewed coffee (and 15 specialty coffees each) throughout our 28 day cruise.  We’ll confirm that fact before exchanging the first of our 3 elite minibars.  If denied, will show them a copy of their rules that it’s valid for the duration of our cruise which is 28 days.

In the Spring we have B2B 7 day cruises...wonder which procedure we’ll have on those cruises. 🤔

Being on the Royal & Sky we’ll have the improved free coffee made from ground coffee.

Do you see the irony in your position?

You are booking this has a single 28 day cruise, but you expect Princess to give you three Elite mini bar set ups as if the cruise were actually three different cruises.  (I know this is Princess’s practice although not the official benefit).  Then you want to trade in only one of the three mini bar set ups for a coffee card that will be good for all three cruises.  You will have two coffee cars that are good for the whole cruise and two mini bar set ups.

No reason that you should not try and take advantage of the system if you can. I suspect you might win your argument, although I am not sure how the digital system would handle it. I hope you are successful.  Good luck.

Princess should develop a consistent policy concerning this circumstance or they will end up with another Disaster as they have with the old coffee card situation. Obviously Princess did not realize that so many people would  accumulate unused coffee cards.  At least in your situation they will not be issuing six new coffee cards with four left over for future cruises or selling at a profit (since you will get two more on every future cruise). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Do you see the irony in your position?

You are booking this has a single 28 day cruise, but you expect Princess to give you three Elite mini bar set ups as if the cruise were actually three different cruises.  (I know this is Princess’s practice although not the official benefit).  Then you want to trade in only one of the three mini bar set ups for a coffee card that will be good for all three cruises.  You will have two coffee cars that are good for the whole cruise and two mini bar set ups.

No reason that you should not try and take advantage of the system if you can. I suspect you might win your argument, although I am not sure how the digital system would handle it. I hope you are successful.  Good luck.

Princess should develop a consistent policy concerning this circumstance or they will end up with another Disaster as they have with the old coffee card situation. Obviously Princess did not realize that so many people would  accumulate unused coffee cards.  At least in your situation they will not be issuing six new coffee cards with four left over for future cruises or selling at a profit (since you will get two more on every future cruise). 

First of all, I’ve never asked for anything but merely explained what Princess has decided to do which is to give a cruise credit, minibar & internet packages for shorter cruises included within a longer cruise booking.  Nor do I understand why you imply that I am taking advantage of the system or doing anything improper.  What’s wrong about expecting them to consistently follow their written coffee program policies?

I quoted their T&Cs that the coffee package is good until the end of the voyage where it’s purchased which for me is 28 days...how’s that wrong?  As far as winning my argument, all I’d request is to follow their written policy.  While I respect your opinions, I don’t agree that my expectations are wrong.

I agree that the old card system needed changes & after years of misuse they decided to close the loopholes that resulted in things such as lifetime free brewed coffee with one punch.  Such reasons are now a mute point & I understand why they changed the coffee system.

And if they decided to change how they issue cruise credits, minibars & internet that’s their prerogative.  Until that time I expect them to follow their rules fleetwide which is sometimes sorely lacking.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I try not to mix Captain's Circle Benefits with items that are for sale. Captain's Circle Benefits are marketing policies that are established to retain customers. One thought is that the quicker you can move passengers up the loyalty ladder the more chance you may have of getting them back. The current credit per voyage rather than the credit per booking is an example.

In this tread we are really speaking about a coffee package that can be purchased, 15 drinks at a time. Should a purchased package become void if not used after say 7 days when a passenger embarks on day one and disembarks on day 22? In my opinion I don't believe so. I do agree with Astro Flyer on that point. I also feel the coffee issue can use further HQ review, be better and more clearly advertised, and consistently applied across the fleet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

First of all, I’ve never asked for anything but merely explained what Princess has decided to do which is to give a cruise credit, minibar & internet packages for shorter cruises included within a longer cruise booking.  Nor do I understand why you imply that I am taking advantage of the system or doing anything improper.  What’s wrong about expecting them to consistently follow their written coffee program policies?

I quoted their T&Cs that the coffee package is good until the end of the voyage where it’s purchased which for me is 28 days...how’s that wrong?  As far as winning my argument, all I’d request is to follow their written policy.  While I respect your opinions, I don’t agree that my expectations are wrong.

I agree that the old card system needed changes & after years of misuse they decided to close the loopholes that resulted in things such as lifetime free brewed coffee with one punch.  Such reasons are now a mute point & I understand why they changed the coffee system.

And if they decided to change how they issue cruise credits, minibars & internet that’s their prerogative.  Until that time I expect them to follow their rules fleetwide which is sometimes sorely lacking.

I do wish you luck, I just thought it was ironic.

If Princess continues to treat a cruise booked as a single 28 day cruise  as three shorter cruises for purposes of issuing the Elite benefits (despite what is defined in the explanation of the Elite benefits),  then good for everyone.  It just seems to me if you want to trade in the free mini bar set up for the two new digital coffee cards (valid for up to 15 coffee drinks until the of the cruise), that it would be logical that a cruise under those terms would be the same three shorter ones.  Why would you expect Princess to treat the cruise as three shorter cruises in one situation and not the other?  A different situation  if you were actually purchasing the coffee card.  In that case perhaps Princess will have different prices based on the length of the cruise and different number of drinks.

I was just pointed out a plausible explanation.  You may be correct and perhaps you will get two mini bar set ups and two digital coffee cards (good for 28 days), but perhaps you will not.   I am sure you will let everyone know how it works out.

As you mentioned Princess should make it clear and be consistent.  Princess should also update the Elite benefit page to indicate that benefits will be based on the three shorter cruises independent of how it is booked.  The cruise credit one is a little bit of a surprise to me.  

I have a fundamental question.  How much did you pay for the single cruise and how much would have the three separate cruises cost? 

To me it’s exceedingly clear that if you booked one cruise no matter how long, you get one set of benefits for that cruise.  If you book three cruises, no matter what dates or ship(s) you get the benefits for three cruises.  

We recently priced out a Trans-Pacific from Vancouver to Sydney.  You could also segments of the cruise, Vancouver to LA, Vancouver to New Zealand, LA to Sydney, LA to New Zealand, or New Zealand.  By far the cheapest price per day was the full trip.

For Captain Circle status, you get 1 cruise for the single 28 day, you would get 3 cruises for the 7, 7, & 14 day cruises.  I always thoughts it was interesting the way Princess counts cruises and days.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, we routinely have 1 day cruises from Vancouver to Seattle and visa versa.  Inside cabins often cost as little as $99.  You could do 15 of these cruise for less than $1,500 and become an Elite.  

44 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

For Captain Circle status, you get 1 cruise for the single 28 day, you would get 3 cruises for the 7, 7, & 14 day cruises.

That has not been true for many years...whether booked as 28 days or 7,7,14 both receive 3 Captain’s Circle cruise credits, minibars & internet packages.

How do I know this is true?  Numerous experiences including my future 28 day cruise that shows 3 cruise credits in my history.

It gets confusing...for a 28 day cruise:

• cruise credits, minibars, internet are based on the number of consecutive cruise segments (7,7,14)
  • shareholder, military, FCD, loyalty are based on how a cruise is booked even when it includes shorter consecutive cruises (28)

This is regularly discussed on CC and passengers with many more days than me have had the same experiences.  Obviously you disagree so won’t spend more time explaining it.  

Edited by Astro Flyer

16 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

I sure hope that is is true, but where is that stated in writing by Princess?  The website does not state that, but we have never booked through on a combined cruise.  thanks in advance.

You’re welcome but it’s not stated anywhere which means they can change procedures.  The number of Captain’s Circle cruise credits are shown in the Cruise History including for future cruises.

I’ve learned many things from the experiences of others on CC.  It’d be easier for everyone if Princess better defined their policies to eliminate any ambiguity.

It’s a cruise & I’m thankful for everyday at sea. 👍

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, San Diego Ellie said:

Sounds fair to me because you got 3 bar set ups. If you think one perk should carry over on B2B then only one mini bar should be given.