HAL Beverage Packages

stsmall

3 hours ago, Peaony said:

I know that policy states that beverages on HMB are excluded from the SBP. Is that also true for the Quench items? So if I want waters, or sparkling waters on that day, I have to bring from ship?

The quench drinks were not included on HMB, we did bring bottles of water and cans of pop off the ship. We then ordered a bucket of beer so we could have an ice bucket of ice to put them in. As we left the island we left the unopened bottles with some staff. 

3 hours ago, Peaony said:

I know that policy states that beverages on HMB are excluded from the SBP. Is that also true for the Quench items? So if I want waters, or sparkling waters on that day, I have to bring from ship?

HMC is owned by HAL and since they provide free lunch as part of the cruise on HMC, I have always believed the onboard drink packages should be honored on HMC.

We had the SBP as part of our 4Explore package.  Had we paid for the package, we would not have gotten our moneys worth.  We did have specialty coffees more than we usually do and it was nice to not worry about what we were ordering.  However, two or three drinks a day, plus bottle waters, plus specialty coffee would not make up the $50.00 per day cost.

23 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We had the SBP as part of our 4Explore package.  Had we paid for the package, we would not have gotten our moneys worth.  We did have specialty coffees more than we usually do and it was nice to not worry about what we were ordering.  However, two or three drinks a day, plus bottle waters, plus specialty coffee would not make up the $50.00 per day cost.

I agree, we have the explore 4 this coming cruise. We priced it out with and without the explore 4, and it was an ok value to just leave it on. The last cruise ( which was our first HAL cruise) we got the quench package. It was a much better fit for us. I think it did save us money just on the sparkling water alone. 

I have not seen a poster who had personal experience of upgrading their SBP on-board share the upcharge amount. We have explore 4 with our Alaska cruise package and I am wondering if I can upgrade to EBP with husband still on SBP.  He does not drink alcohol so upgrading him would be ridiculous. 

If I understand correctly, if I ordered a $15 glass of wine on the SBP I would pay full price. The upgrade costs seems a no-brainer for myself because I do not see anything on the under $9 wine list that I enjoy drinking;)

2 hours ago, dundeene said:

I have not seen a poster who had personal experience of upgrading their SBP on-board share the upcharge amount. We have explore 4 with our Alaska cruise package and I am wondering if I can upgrade to EBP with husband still on SBP.  He does not drink alcohol so upgrading him would be ridiculous. 

If I understand correctly, if I ordered a $15 glass of wine on the SBP I would pay full price. The upgrade costs seems a no-brainer for myself because I do not see anything on the under $9 wine list that I enjoy drinking;)

Unfortunately, the HAL rules require the first and second passengers in a cabin  be on the same drink package, so your husband would have to upgrade with you. I remember reading in another drink thread that if you have a letter from a doctor saying you can not drink any alcohol, HAL will waive the requirement of both in a cabin not having the SBP.

My wife and I plan on upgrading our Explore 4 SBP for our Alaska cruise in July for the same reason as you, there are no wines by the glass for $9 and under we would drink. Even the $15 glass of wines are not very impressive but better than the $9 ones. We can enjoy a premium martini before dinner and a $15 glass or two of wine. We will get our money's worth on either package.

Edited by terrydtx

2 hours ago, dundeene said:

have not seen a poster who had personal experience of upgrading their SBP on-board share the upcharge amount.

I have read posts on this in several CC threads that reports the upgrade cost for the EBP over SBP to be between $10 and $12pp/day, depending on the cruise, which is about the cost of one better glass of wine a day. Seems like a good deal for us.

Edited by terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I have read posts on this in several CC threads that reports the upgrade cost for the EBP over SBP to be between $10 and $12pp/day, depending on the cruise, which is about the cost of one better glass of wine a day. Seems like a good deal for us.

It would be a good deal if my husband drank alcohol.  But for the  $24 extra cost, times 7 days, I think I will just purchase a couple of decent bottles of wine for myself.  Is there any discount on wine by the bottle if you have SBP?

3 minutes ago, dundeene said:

Is there any discount on wine by the bottle if you have SBP?

Unfortunately no. However they do offer wine by the bottle packages that are discounted pretty much. They can be bought prior to boarding or on the day you board.

On 1/17/2019 at 2:53 PM, POA1 said:

Does anyone have an example from the last two or three months where non-alcoholic beverages counted toward the 15? I know they did not on Zuiderdam in December. 

I queried two bar managers and the front desk on the Koningsdam in September and was told all drinks count to the 15 limit. I did not get any "excess" charges but did not count my drinks so I can only take their word.

Edited by Nang

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:10 PM, Peaony said:

Can you buy at embarkation?

I remember once you board there is a table where you can purchase wine packages and other drink packages manned by HAL beverage people. It may have been in the main atrium or near the MDR.

24 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I remember once you board there is a table where you can purchase wine packages and other drink packages manned by HAL beverage people. It may have been in the main atrium or near the MDR.

They were in the Lido pool area on the Zuiderdam. There were also table cards all over the place. The wine stewards get credit for selling the wine packages, so you may want to order yours from your wine steward, assuming you have fixed seating. If not, just ask a beverage server.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 5:29 AM, Nang said:

I queried two bar managers and the front desk on the Koningsdam in September and was told all drinks count to the 15 limit. I did not get any "excess" charges but did not count my drinks so I can only take their word.

I have found the policy differs from ship to ship.  On all other ships than Koningsdam, it is 15 alcoholic.  But on the K the bartenders said that once you hit 15 total beverages the POS system flags them.  So I would check with the beverage manager on the ship to confirm on the first day.  (that is if you think you will be near the 15 limit)

• Like 1

Non-alcoholic beverages may have been counted of NA earlier this month as they always scanned our sail cards no matter what we ordered BUT it made no impact on the number of alcoholic beverages we were allotted. We researched this intensely, for Science!! :classic_tongue:

8 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Non-alcoholic beverages may have been counted of NA earlier this month as they always scanned our sail cards no matter what we ordered BUT it made no impact on the number of alcoholic beverages we were allotted. We researched this intensely, for Science!! :classic_tongue:

Thank you for your dedication to the Scientific Method! I am sure that this is a topic that will require intense research for years to come. I stand ready to do my part! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a confirmation letter from corporate which states that non alcoholic beverages are NOT counted.

Here is a link to the video.  The letter is from the person responsible for the beverage packages fleet wide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dshroyer said:

I have a confirmation letter from corporate which states that non alcoholic beverages are NOT counted.

Here is a link to the video.  The letter is from the person responsible for the beverage packages fleet wide.

I tried to message you but cant for some reason. Do you think i could get a copy to bring with us? Please

Edited by Jareds_mommytoo

Are there any lesser-talked-about items you can get with the EBP that you can't get with the SBP? For instance, I read in another thread that someone attended the mixology class for free by having the EBP (it counted as a single drink since it was $15/pp). Are there other more "hidden" things like that that would make the EBP more appealing if one isn't too picky on alcohol or wines?

Thanks (finally) for the clarification from HAL corporate on this subject, and it is indeed good news. :classic_smile:

I suppose the one remaining question is (still) how the individual ships in the fleet will or will not follow this official guidance from Seattle.

I'm predicting continued confusion at the individual ship level, and therefore varied experiences from ship to ship... at least for a while.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I tried to message you but cant for some reason. Do you think i could get a copy to bring with us? Please

I do not want to give out the guy's name because I do not want everyone on this board to be contacting him via email.  But if you look at the comments to the video I posted you will see that someone else verified the information.

Dave & Carroll's Travel Videos just got an email from the corporate office. They did confirm the information you were given

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning your upcoming voyage on our ms Oosterdam ‪March 23, 2019‬. We have your booking number as   The following beverages are included in the price of your cruise fare: juice, milk, tea, and regular, or decaf drip coffee.  Specialty coffee drinks, cappuccinos, alcohol and soda are additional expenses that will be billed to your on board account.  

Our Signature Beverage Package is a convenient, affordable beverage package that allows guests to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) and coffee. Our Signature Beverage Package is limited to 15 drinks per day with unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. This includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower menu price and does not include beverages in your mini-bar, in-room dining, chocolate seduction and on the Half Moon Cay. Details: ·        Limit 15 drinks per day. Unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. ·        Must be purchased for the full duration of the cruise. ·        Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower menu price. ·        Excludes Mini Bar, In-Room Dining, Chocolate Seduction, & on Half Moon Cay. ·        All guests in stateroom who are 21 years old must purchase the package. ·        Available for purchase on Day1 & 2 of the voyage.   The Signature Beverage Package can be purchased pre-cruise at a rate of $51.69 per person per day ($44.95 + 15% service charge) or on board at a rate of $57.44 per person per day ($49.95 + 15% service charge). This must be purchased for the full duration of the voyage and all guests over the age of 21 years in the stateroom must purchase the package; this is available for purchase on days one and two of any respective voyage. ·        Available for purchase on Day1 & 2 of the voyage.   For further information or to make a beverage card purchase or our onboard liquor policy please go to ‪www.hollandamerica.com‬, under Already Booked click View All FAQs and then click on Alcohol or click the below link. https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Onboard%20Policies&contentSubMenu=Can%20I%20Bring%20Alcoholic%20Beverages%20Onboard

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Thanks (finally) for the clarification from HAL corporate on this subject, and it is indeed good news. :classic_smile:

I suppose the one remaining question is (still) how the individual ships in the fleet will or will not follow this official guidance from Seattle.

I'm predicting continued confusion at the individual ship level, and therefore varied experiences from ship to ship... at least for a while.

Yes.  that could be correct.  But the person in charge of this is "new" and I have seen that he is already informing the "customer service reps" of the policy.  So I think within a month or so this will be common knowledge.  we shall see....

• Like 1