HAL Beverage Packages

stsmall

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

I'm still unsure how this works. If I buy the signature drink package, do they just charge the difference for drinks over $9? Or do you have to pay full price for drinks over $9 on top of the drink package? 

If the drink is more than $9, you pay the full price.

Edited by Crew News

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

If the drink is more than $9, you pay the full price.

That is the theory but not consistently executed.  I know of passengers who queried the additional charges and claim they had them rescinded.

Annie

Between water, coffee, soda and other non alcoholic beverages, our totals on the Zuiderdam would have exceeded 15. We never hit 15 on booze alone. No additional charges were posted to our account, so I know that in our case, the system only counted alcoholic beverages. (You can ask a bartender "where you are at" in the daily total.) The POS system tracks your consumption.

Soda machines ( as well as the self-service draft beer) are NOT included in the SBP.

I still have not found anyone who has been charged for drinks when the total amount of daily drinks was more than 15, as long as not all drinks were alcoholic. 

I continue to proclaim that the intent of the rule is 15 alcoholic drinks. After consuming that amount, all drinks might get charged, but when drinking  less than 15 alcoholic drinks a day, but in total more due to consumption of non-alcoholic beverages, you will NOT be charged as the overflow ( total amount) is due to non-alcoholic drinks. ( waived by HAL).

32 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Soda machines ( as well as the self-service draft beer) are NOT included in the SBP.

I still have not found anyone who has been charged for drinks when the total amount of daily drinks was more than 15, as long as not all drinks were alcoholic. 

I continue to proclaim that the intent of the rule is 15 alcoholic drinks. After consuming that amount, all drinks might get charged, but when drinking  less than 15 alcoholic drinks a day, but in total more due to consumption of non-alcoholic beverages, you will NOT be charged as the overflow ( total amount) is due to non-alcoholic drinks. ( waived by HAL).

I agree.  But why can't anybody official from HAL confirm that?  Why should half of the employees say A and the other B?

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, terrydtx said:

I wonder if you can ask to have the wine poured at your table in front of you?

I find this interesting... When I have ordered wine by the glass on Celebrity it has always poured at the table for me, and with the first pour of the ordered wine, they show you the bottle to approve before they pour. I guess that is not the case on HAL?  

We have booked our first HAL cruise for Alaska 2020 on the Oosterdam.  I am reading this forum and thread to try to decide if I will purchase an alcoholic beverage package. If I could purchase one for just me, it would be a no-brainer, but with HAL's rule that both passengers in the cabin have to purchase the package - it really makes no sense since my DH does not drink. Does anyone know if there is any flexibility on this rule? Does it apply onboard - or only to pre-purchasing packages to get the $5 per day savings?

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. Sharing is not permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, dshroyer said:

I agree.  But why can't anybody official from HAL confirm that?  Why should half of the employees say A and the other B?

My guess is that this is a trial program from HAL.  They give the ships the option to exclude non-alcoholic beverages from the 15 daily total and after a year or so of testing, they will determine if the losses from not counting sodas and water in the 15,  exceeds the possible increased sales of beverage packages.   If the ships report an increase in sales, HAL will make it official.  If not, then they will enforce the rule as it is presently written, that all beverages count towards the 15.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, dshroyer said:

This is one of several issues where there is a difference in interpretation or application of corporate policies from ship to ship and between fleet and HQ. 

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

They give the ships the option to exclude non-alcoholic beverages from the 15 daily total and after a year or so of testing, they will determine if the losses from not counting sodas and water in the 15,  exceeds the possible increased sales of beverage packages

No. It's programmed into the POS system. The POS programming is done in Seattle. 

You're welcome to cut yourself off at 15 beverages if you want, but the onboard point of sale system does not do it. 

This is like demanding to be ticketed for exceeding the speed limit. "But officer, the sign says 55 mph. I demand a ticket!" 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, CruisinShips said:

Our cruise comes with two Signature beverage packages.  Our TA told us they will upgrade us to an Elite package when we are aboard (for an extra cost, of course).  Has anyone done this, and is she correct in this assertion?

Thanks

We've done the upgrade a couple of times and found it worth it to access cocktails before dinner and a wider range of wines.

I just got off the Oosterdam and since I only wanted Jameson Irish Whiskey for the week, I called room service and ordered a bottle for my room which turned out to be a full liter bottle and not a 750ml for only $56 and I mixed my own drinks and brought them with me all over the ship in my stainless water bottle. No questions asked by any crew members. So for $56, I had enough whiskey for 22 drinks of 1.5 ounces each which is what you'd get at any of the bars.

They have a great variety of bottles available and will also include mixers for a few dollars more and your room steward will provide as much ice as you need. One bottle would have probably been enough but friends kept stopping by for shots and we went through 3 liters!

It seems that many people don't know about this option on HAL, but it's there on their site.

10 hours ago, Johnny de Laffy said:

I just got off the Oosterdam and since I only wanted Jameson Irish Whiskey for the week, I called room service and ordered a bottle for my room which turned out to be a full liter bottle and not a 750ml for only $56 and I mixed my own drinks and brought them with me all over the ship in my stainless water bottle. No questions asked by any crew members. So for $56, I had enough whiskey for 22 drinks of 1.5 ounces each which is what you'd get at any of the bars.

They have a great variety of bottles available and will also include mixers for a few dollars more and your room steward will provide as much ice as you need. One bottle would have probably been enough but friends kept stopping by for shots and we went through 3 liters!

It seems that many people don't know about this option on HAL, but it's there on their site.

That's a great idea for the right person! it wouldn't work for my wife and me because we like a wider variety of spirits and also wine and beer. But it certainly saved you a lot of money compared with the beverage package.

No champagne offered on this SBP list? (no, Moscato does not count 🤮) I drink sparkling water (or fountain soda water) and champagne...*maybe a white wine or two and a cappuccino a day. I'm thinking this doesn't make any sense for a 3 day cruise...especially if HMB drinks aren't included. Right?

3 minutes ago, Peaony said:

No champagne offered on this SBP list? (no, Moscato does not count 🤮) I drink sparkling water (or fountain soda water) and champagne...*maybe a white wine or two and a cappuccino a day. I'm thinking this doesn't make any sense for a 3 day cruise...especially if HMB drinks aren't included. Right?

No, you need the Elite Beverage Package to get actual Champagne. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, DaisyFire said:

I find this interesting... When I have ordered wine by the glass on Celebrity it has always poured at the table for me, and with the first pour of the ordered wine, they show you the bottle to approve before they pour. I guess that is not the case on HAL?  

We have booked our first HAL cruise for Alaska 2020 on the Oosterdam.  I am reading this forum and thread to try to decide if I will purchase an alcoholic beverage package. If I could purchase one for just me, it would be a no-brainer, but with HAL's rule that both passengers in the cabin have to purchase the package - it really makes no sense since my DH does not drink. Does anyone know if there is any flexibility on this rule? Does it apply onboard - or only to pre-purchasing packages to get the $5 per day savings?  They will not make an exception to the rule for  you. Why would  or should they? There are many couples where only one of  the  two drinks alcohol.  It is not the least uncommon.        The rule applies  to All.  Everyone over 21 in the cabin the package or no one does.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, DaisyFire said:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. Sharing is not permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers.

When you order a tof wine on HAL,   hthey will pour the firs in front of you so you can taste and approve (or  not)   the wine.  Same as tis done in most establishments   worldwide   .image.png.a4fcddb3d45fdd9394b80c0005fae719.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

I can say that on the Eurodam recently (Dec '18), only beverages containing alcohol were counted toward our 15/day limit.

Evreything else, i.e., bottled water, specialty coffees, sodas, etc. did not count. :classic_smile:

Can't comment specifically to NA, but have read on these boards that there is a reasonable amount of confusion as to what the 'official' policy is. HAL's website says one thing, Seattle parrots what the website says, yet the individual ships in the fleet interpret the policy differently.

It's really hit or miss, unfortunately, what you will experience on any given sailing..

• Thanks 1

If I purchase a beverage package from home for my March cruise and my delivery choice is either "in stateroom" or "Dining Room".  How do I not get charged for my beverages upon embarkation, before my stateroom is ready? 

Is my sea pass card tagged at the dock when I sign in? 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, coffee59 said:

If I purchase a beverage package from home for my March cruise and my delivery choice is either "in stateroom" or "Dining Room".  How do I not get charged for my beverages upon embarkation, before my stateroom is ready? 

Is my sea pass card tagged at the dock when I sign in? 

Thanks

It'll be loaded on your key card. The delivery option doesn't matter. 

Edited by POA1