OCEAN MEDALLION

JoRoy218

13 hours ago, caribill said:

As posted earlier, you can take a found Medallion to one of the public access screens and ask it to give you the best route to the cabin associated with the Medallion. The screen does not ask for any sort of password before doing this, so anyone with anyone else's Medallion can find which cabin it is associated with.

Missed that info somehow, and, given that, I agree that this is a problem. Thanks for the clarification.

14 hours ago, Griller said:

On Royal now and my OM has my name on it - and the screen by my cabin door has my name on it.

So just walk the corridors until you see my name and bingo my door will unlock.

That could be a problem. Carbill pointed out that a person can take the medallion to the nearest screen and ask for the best route to the cabin associated with the medallion. No password needed. I didn't know that, and I think that's got to be a worse problem.

So   You guys are saying that people go on a cruise; and if they find a medallion lying on the floor; instead of turning it in to front desk or security team; they are going to  waste time to go to a touch screen and have the medallion route them to what ever cabin it belongs to?  Come on; people aren't really going to do that are they?  I understand single people; or everyone has security concerns.  Princess has spent a lot of money with this program and security has to be at the top of the minds and concern. Passenger safety is paramount; so with that being said; seems like people are coming up with worst case scenario's for the medallion program. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

So   You guys are saying that people go on a cruise; and if they find a medallion lying on the floor; instead of turning it in to front desk or security team; they are going to  waste time to go to a touch screen and have the medallion route them to what ever cabin it belongs to?  Come on; people aren't really going to do that are they?  I understand single people; or everyone has security concerns.  Princess has spent a lot of money with this program and security has to be at the top of the minds and concern. Passenger safety is paramount; so with that being said; seems like people are coming up with worst case scenario's for the medallion program. 

👍

19 hours ago, Griller said:

On Royal now and my OM has my name on it - and the screen by my cabin door has my name on it.

So just walk the corridors until you see my name and bingo my door will unlock.

Any idea the cost of the accessories available?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, BDRebel said:

You could also print your own for much less than $3.

we just bought 8 fitbit clips for $25 on amazon ... for the 2 of us - color coordinated and all - based on a rec from another thread

On 3/16/2019 at 8:29 AM, famski740 said:

Go to Amazon and buy the Fitbit Zip wristbands.  Everyone is saying that they work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCHE6AI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&pldnSite=1&th=1

I just bought these for a May 4th sailing. Beware if you are Prime, they are not an overnight item. Ordered on the 16th and delivery is 3/29 to 2/10.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, Sea Hag said:

Unless the medallions have the cabin number printed out on them or available some other way, I'm not worried about this. I doubt somebody would try every door on the ship until they found the one that the medallion opens. I never worried about losing my cruise card either, since I doubt anybody would try every door until they found one that the lost card would open. Do the medallions have the cabin number accessible in any way, such as scanning it at a kiosk?

Using a medallion at one of the touch screens located around the ship will tell anyone which cabin it belongs to, the cruise cards do not.

15 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

I just bought these for a May 4th sailing. Beware if you are Prime, they are not an overnight item. Ordered on the 16th and delivery is 3/29 to 2/10.

I also bought wristbands from Amazon, but chose the buckle wristband. Before, I had issues with putting on that type of band on my Fitbit. 

Edited by candide333

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Using a medallion at one of the touch screens located around the ship will tell anyone which cabin it belongs to, the cruise cards do not.

I'm not sure  that you are correct on that last part.  The cruise card that Princess is now distributing is also a near field communication device.  If you hold the cruise card up to the reader on the public displays, it will read it.  

I was on the Ruby Princess in December, and we were issued the new cruise cards.  The cabin doors all had the new readers, and the door was opened by holding the card up to the reader.

In the elevator lobbies were the new screens that are going to be part of the Medallion roll-out.  You can see the reader right on the screen.  It is circular and is surrounded in blue.  As a test I held my card key up to it, and, sure enough, the blue outline turned to green.  The kiosk itself did nothing, but the fact that the reader turned from blue to green told me that the reader can, in fact, read the card key.

A few days before the end of my cruise, I wanted to print out my folio.  I went to Deck 6 and used the kiosk near the Guest Services Desk.  That kiosk had the same kind of circular reader on the screen.  I held up my card key next to the reader,  The blue outline turned to green, and I was able to print my folio.

Now, when the Medallion system is fully rolled out the Ruby Princess, will a kiosk allow a person with a card key and not a medallion be able to find the path to his cabin?  I don't know that it will.  However, I also don't know that it won't.

54 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm not sure  that you are correct on that last part.  The cruise card that Princess is now distributing is also a near field communication device.  If you hold the cruise card up to the reader on the public displays, it will read it.  

I was on the Ruby Princess in December, and we were issued the new cruise cards.  The cabin doors all had the new readers, and the door was opened by holding the card up to the reader.

In the elevator lobbies were the new screens that are going to be part of the Medallion roll-out.  You can see the reader right on the screen.  It is circular and is surrounded in blue.  As a test I held my card key up to it, and, sure enough, the blue outline turned to green.  The kiosk itself did nothing, but the fact that the reader turned from blue to green told me that the reader can, in fact, read the card key.

A few days before the end of my cruise, I wanted to print out my folio.  I went to Deck 6 and used the kiosk near the Guest Services Desk.  That kiosk had the same kind of circular reader on the screen.  I held up my card key next to the reader,  The blue outline turned to green, and I was able to print my folio.

Now, when the Medallion system is fully rolled out the Ruby Princess, will a kiosk allow a person with a card key and not a medallion be able to find the path to his cabin?  I don't know that it will.  However, I also don't know that it won't.

It does appear that there have been a few changes, at lest since Feb when the kiosk's wouldn't respond to the card at all. 

Since they've been saying people could have either the medallion or cruise card it looks like they're making some progress.

Now if they could only secure both they'll have it made. 

On 3/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, tmcgin7103 said:

Greetings!  Anyone know how much are the things like wrist bands and such for the OMs?  We are on Royal's first run with OM in a few weeks but they only note an option of a lanyard although I know there are other ways to carry the devices.  Cheers!

I ordered a 4 package of wristbands from amazon dot com for $7.99 and they fit great. The actual medallion that is mailed to you only comes with a lanyard.  I guess you can buy the other accessories on board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCHE6DK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It does appear that there have been a few changes, at lest since Feb when the kiosk's wouldn't respond to the card at all. 

Since they've been saying people could have either the medallion or cruise card it looks like they're making some progress.

Now if they could only secure both they'll have it made. 

Interesting.  Your information is more recent than mine.  Thanks for the update.

I'll learn the current truth in April when we will be on board the Ruby Princess, again.  However, I don't think they'll be using the medallion for my next cruise.

13 hours ago, XBGuy said:

The printed folio does not list the cabin number. It does have the person's name, but so does the cruise card.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The printed folio does not list the cabin number. It does have the person's name, but so does the cruise card.

I wish they would even eliminate the name off the printed folio as well. I don't like people to see my name paper after I throw it in the garbage.