Coincidence - issue with propulsion on Jade and Bliss.

dwpigg

Copy of FB post just made from on board Bliss. “We are still in ST Thomas. All aboard was 2 hours ago. This is definitely not a complaint as we appreciate the cell service. The captain made an announcement that the coast guard will not allow the ship to leave without an inspection on the repairs made to the propulsion.”

Jade cruise cancelled in PR prior to going to St Thomas. Many say mechanical issue with propulsion. 

Guess it it could be coincidence. 

13 minutes ago, dwpigg said:

Copy of FB post just made from on board Bliss. “We are still in ST Thomas. All aboard was 2 hours ago. This is definitely not a complaint as we appreciate the cell service. The captain made an announcement that the coast guard will not allow the ship to leave without an inspection on the repairs made to the propulsion.”

Jade cruise cancelled in PR prior to going to St Thomas. Many say mechanical issue with propulsion. 

Bliss is showing that it's moving at 10 knots on a ship tracker site???

1 minute ago, rtkenmore said:

Bliss is showing that it's moving at 10 knots on a ship tracker site???

Jade was showing movement at 16 knots a few hours ago. And yet all passengers were forced off and flown back to Miami. 

Seems fishy to me. 

1 minute ago, dwpigg said:

Jade was showing movement at 16 knots a few hours ago. And yet all passengers were forced off and flown back to Miami. 

Seems fishy to me. 

And now Jade is showing 17 knots and headed to either a wet berth or dry berth in Miami or possibly Freeport for repairs.

😕

• Like 1

I’m speculating that there is an issue with propulsion on Jade and NCL decided to not take a chance on coast guard inspection in St Thomas.  Better to cancel and send passengers home than to fail inspection. Poor publicity hits stock prices. 

6 hours ago, dwpigg said:

Seems fishy to me. 

If I am not mistaken, the Jade passengers were all flown back to the states yesterday. Has it dawned on you maybe the ship has been repaired and is heading home now? There is nothing fishy or should I say, what do you mean by fishy? It seems more like precaution to me. These problems pop up on many ships, regardless of the cruise line and I do not think there is any worry over bad publicity. Now, if they knowingly allowed a ship to continuing when there were mechanical problems that would be reason for bad publicity. 

10 hours ago, dwpigg said:

Seems fishy to me. 

No way NCL cancels that cruise without real issues.  WAY too much money to be lost to do it for no reason. 

• Like 2

Do you really think that NCL would incur all the hundreds of thousands of dollars in cost for hiring charter flights, paying for hotel rooms and food for the passengers and in addition, refunding all their cruise fare and giving them a future cruise credit for next cruise on purpose, just so they Jade could cruise back to Miami with any passengers?

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 2

I’m speculating that there is an issue with propulsion on Jade and NCL decided to not take a chance on coast guard inspection in St Thomas.  Better to cancel and send passengers home than to fail inspection. Poor publicity hits stock prices. 

well, I don't know. I've never read anything published about failed inspections, and I've never even heard about Coast Guard doing the inspection, but we are definitely on the news about being taken off the Jade and being sent home. 

15 hours ago, dwpigg said:

They would get the same inspection in San Juan.

19 hours ago, dwpigg said:

Seriously???

So, with all these research resources, the general consensus is “all is good.”  “Nothing wrong.”  

I guess I am the only one who saw someone post about a repair to the Bliss propulsion system in St Thomas. I may also be the only one to question the post about the Jade hitting something during it’s last Panama Canal crossing and then quickly moving out of PR. 

I still think there is more here than meets the eye, but I enjoy a good mystery. No ill intent, but maybe still a little conspiracy. 

21 hours ago, dwpigg said:

So, with all these research resources, the general consensus is “all is good.”  “Nothing wrong.”  

I guess I am the only one who saw someone post about a repair to the Bliss propulsion system in St Thomas. I may also be the only one to question the post about the Jade hitting something during it’s last Panama Canal crossing and then quickly moving out of PR. 

I still think there is more here than meets the eye, but I enjoy a good mystery. No ill intent, but maybe still a little conspiracy. 

No, I don't dispute that Jade has a propulsion problem, since her cruise was cancelled, and she is proceeding to Miami at reduced speed.  Likely she has a bent propeller blade or a rope wrapped around one propeller, that will be repaired in Miami.  Bliss may have had a problem that was repaired during a port call in St. Thomas, but it is now fixed, so not sure what the concern is.  What more is there to meet the eye?  A bus company could have one bus that has a bad engine computer, and another bus that has a rotted out muffler, and both buses are not capable of service, and both are "mechanical issues" or "propulsion issues", but what is the conspiracy there?  Ships break just like anything else.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 7:40 PM, chengkp75 said:

Jade is going to Miami/Freeport at about 17 knots, most likely under one azipod, for a probable propeller repair (bent/damaged blade).  Bliss is currently doing 20+ knots, so don't see any propulsion problem there.

17knots with 1 azipod but max of about 25knots with both azipods?

why not 34knots max?

edit:

and to the OP, tin foil hat much? :classic_blink:

Edited by fstuff1

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

17knots with 1 azipod but max of about 25knots with both azipods?

why not 34knots max?

edit:

and to the OP, tin foil hat much? :classic_blink:

8 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

It is not additive.  One person can push a car 3 mph.  If six people push a car, it does not go 18 mph.  ChEng can explain because I’m over my head with this stuff.

Yes, the power required to move a ship is not linear, it is exponential, so that the final knot or two requires quite a lot of power, while the first knot or two requires relatively little power.  A good yardstick is what I figured for the Jade, 50% of horsepower gives about 75-80% of speed.  

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the power required to move a ship is not linear, it is exponential, so that the final knot or two requires quite a lot of power, while the first knot or two requires relatively little power.  A good yardstick is what I figured for the Jade, 50% of horsepower gives about 75-80% of speed.  

Which is why reducing speed saves a lot more fuel than a linear equation would give you.