Is this true about check-in?

kimcruiser

When I checked in online the other day I was allowed to pick a time slot as to when I can arrive at the port. Of course I picked the earliest which was 11 am. Now it states that I am to arrive "no less than 2 hours" before that time. Is this true? I need to arrive, at the latest, 9am? I'm not complaining I just thought it strange that they want me there so early when the other guests aren't off the ship yet. This is my first RCI cruise. Thank you for all of your input!

4 minutes ago, kimcruiser said:

When I checked in online the other day I was allowed to pick a time slot as to when I can arrive at the port. Of course I picked the earliest which was 11 am. Now it states that I am to arrive "no less than 2 hours" before that time. Is this true? I need to arrive, at the latest, 9am? I'm not complaining I just thought it strange that they want me there so early when the other guests aren't off the ship yet. This is my first RCI cruise. Thank you for all of your input!

My experience has always been that they are referring to arrive 2 hours before the ship departs, not two hours before your check in time. 

Edited by island284

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Arrive whenever you want during the check-in period, just get there in time to check-in before the 90-minutes-before-sailing cut-off. The "reserved time" is just a way to get people to spread out the arrivals somewhat. It's otherwise completely meaningless.

3 hours ago, kimcruiser said:

It actually says please arrive no less than 2 hours prior to your scheduled boarding time.

Huh, kind of a head-scratcher.  If you hear back from RCI, please let us know what they actually meant.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If there truly is a 90 minute rule, why do I see people boarding, with bags, during muster?

Any number of reasons, usually related to cruise-line arranged transportation delays. Or cruise-line related delays in-terminal. They also may not be passengers but might be crew/entertainers/employees, or related to crew/entertainers.

8 hours ago, kimcruiser said:

It actually says please arrive no less than 2 hours prior to your scheduled boarding time.

It's typical Royal ambiguous/unclear wording.  The latest boarding time for US ports is normally 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Could be people who booked air and transfers through choice air.

8 hours ago, dswallow said:

Any number of reasons, usually related to cruise-line arranged transportation delays. Or cruise-line related delays in-terminal. They also may not be passengers but might be crew/entertainers/employees, or related to crew/entertainers.

So it's not a TSA rule, which means there could be a lot of flexibility.  😉