RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

On 3/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, PCWalton1 said:

It has probably been asked and answered numerous times but can you bid if your booking is assigned to a travel agency?

It depends on the TA.  Some do not participate in the program, so if you booked through one of them, you will not get the email and will not be able to bid if you do directly to the Royal Up site.

30 minutes ago, Ang517 said:

Using Royalup Does anyone know if you get the perks of an owners loft suite? Complimentary voom for one, beverages etc? 

If you Royal Up to an OLS you would get all of the Star Class benefits but would not get double C&S points unless you are already booked in at least a JS.

• Like 1

We sail on Allure on Sunday and were notified of 2 winning bids on Wednesday.  I bid the minimum amount and went from an inside guarantee to an "ocean view" (it's really a window into Central Park) for $20 each.  On another room we went from an Ocean View to an Ocean View balcony for $35 each.  I had made the bid on a Central Park Balcony, so this was even better.

Also, on Monday, our status changed in Royal Up from "Offer Received" to "Not Eligible for an Upgrade" which I was sure meant that we didn't get anything.  I was happy to be wrong and thought this information might be useful for someone else. 

• Like 2

Had bids in place for an upgrade beyond the junior suite I had booked, but when I did a re-price a couple days ago, it'd dropped almost $1500, so I jumped up to a GS 1bdrm/large balcony (ended up being about $150 more out of pocket total).

This change caused all my bids to be cancelled, which I figured would happen, but I got an email letting me rebid, so I did. But those got cancelled again yesterday & I was once again invited to bid on new ones. So I did it again. Now I'm waiting to see if they stay put or if they'll be cancelled a third time.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the ultimate outcome? Honestly, I'm not expecting to win any of them, although it'd be nice, but I can't help but wonder the logic & if I ended up possibly "losing" because of the cancellations.

Is it normal for RoyalUp to still be available 1 week before sailing?  I just rec'd an email for our Apr 1 sailing on IOS.  Last time we were booked on IOS, we rec'd confirmation of RoyalUp 12 days out from sailing.  I put in some bids on suite categories just for shiggles...

9 hours ago, Ang517 said:

Using Royalup Does anyone know if you get the perks of an owners loft suite? Complimentary voom for one, beverages etc? 

Yes you do, but, if you go from non suite to suite you don’t get the extra points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazymomof4 said:

Also, on Monday, our status changed in Royal Up from "Offer Received" to "Not Eligible for an Upgrade" which I was sure meant that we didn't get anything.  I was happy to be wrong and thought this information might be useful for someone else. 

The same thing happened on Celebrity last week.  My bid was pending, unable to cancel/modify for two weeks.  Then the “not eligible for upgrade” comment appeared and two days later I was notified that I had won the upgrade.  I believe the “not eligible” status is good news!

14 hours ago, Crazy4Cruisin225 said:

Just got my Royal Up email for Adventure in June (Bermuda 5 night). Currently in an aft balcony on deck 9. I’m fine with my current room and don’t usually try to upgrade through this program, but the minimum bids are pretty reasonable. $60pp for Junior Suite, $80pp for Grand Suite, $125pp for Owners Suite. Definitely gonna have to try for some of these. I know I wouldn’t get the double points for being in a suite, but my wife would kill for a real tub instead of a phone booth shower. Thoughts??

I'd definitley bid for those prices.

I'm in an OV Balcony on Harmony in May. My minimums are $250pp for Junior Suite, $700pp for Grand Suite and $1000pp for Owner's Suite. 

• Like 1

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered already but I couldn't see in my searching, does anyone have experience of bidding the maximum? 

We have an upcoming 9 night on Odyssey in an OVB and the max RU bid for a JS seems reasonable (about $200). Would that basically give you a significant chance of upgrading? (assuming they don't get booked up). 

Also, is it stupid to bid the max? Is there just as much change going for a strong bid? 

And what happens if I put a strong bid for both JS and GS. Do they go for the higher cabin category? Or is it pot luck?

Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

I'd definitley bid for those prices.

I'm in an OV Balcony on Harmony in May. My minimums are $250pp for Junior Suite, $700pp for Grand Suite and $1000pp for Owner's Suite. 

I did put in bids for all 3. Figured it was worth a shot and we’ll see what happens. Like I said, if I don’t get upgraded I’m fine with the aft balcony I already have. But I’m hoping that someone really wants my high demand cabin so I can move up. They’re also offering the Royal Suite with a minimum of $250pp but I didn’t bid on that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered already but I couldn't see in my searching, does anyone have experience of bidding the maximum? 

We have an upcoming 9 night on Odyssey in an OVB and the max RU bid for a JS seems reasonable (about $200). Would that basically give you a significant chance of upgrading? (assuming they don't get booked up). 

Also, is it stupid to bid the max? Is there just as much change going for a strong bid? 

And what happens if I put a strong bid for both JS and GS. Do they go for the higher cabin category? Or is it pot luck?

Thanks in advance!

When is the cruise?  The max bid for 9 nights from balcony to JS is only $200 on your sailing?  Well, that is more than reasonable…in fact it sounds so low that I wonder if they made a clerical error (unless your is a very special balcony cabin and you are keeping that a secret😉).  Anyway, bidding the max $200 is perfectly reasonable and I expect many people will do so; I would watch to see if they adjust the max bid in the future…if they do, consider adjusting yours up (nudge it up if you just want to be higher than the pack or even go substantially higher if you really value the upgrade…your call)

Edited by Starry Eyes

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

When is the cruise?  The max bid for 9 nights from balcony to JS is only $200 on your sailing?  Well, that is more than reasonable…in fact it sounds so low that I wonder if they made a clerical error (unless your is a very special balcony cabin and you are keeping that a secret😉).  Anyway, bidding the max $200 is perfectly reasonable and I expect many people will do so; I would watch to see if they adjust the max bid in the future…if they do, consider adjusting yours up (nudge it up if you just want to be higher than the pack or even go substantially higher if you really value the upgrade…your call)

Yes, I was quite surprised... It's showing as £80 - £165 as the range for a JS. Minimum bid for a GS is about £200. There seems to be a fair few empty cabins (including 10+ JS) and we are just 5 weeks out... Or perhaps it's too good to be true and just a mistake 🥺

It's for a 9 night out of Rome 7 May. 

43 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Yes, I was quite surprised... It's showing as £80 - £165 as the range for a JS. Minimum bid for a GS is about £200. There seems to be a fair few empty cabins (including 10+ JS) and we are just 5 weeks out... Or perhaps it's too good to be true and just a mistake 🥺

It's for a 9 night out of Rome 7 May. 

I’m not up to date on the European cruising market.  It is a port intensive cruise, so I suppose some people many plan to spend more time and money on shore vs cabin; that might work in your favor if you want a cabin upgrade.  Regardless, even the max price for the JS seems quite reasonable to me, as does the starting bid for the GS.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

Our RU just became available to us but I've never bid before. We are currently in a GI, and our min bid for an OV balcony is $150.  How often do minimum bids get accepted?  It would be a nice treat, but certainly isn't necessary for us.

I think I just had to have the most luckiest RoyalUp win ever. We are booked for Navigator OTS for April 4th. (4 Night Cruise). Wife and I booked a GTY Suite, and were placed in a JS on the 10th floor.

Our sons and their great aunt were in a GTY Balcony that on the same floor as our JS (Felt lucky about that) and I just won an upgrade for their room to a JS. But get this. They are now in the JS right next door to us. 1540 and 1544. Can't be happier for how it worked out. So much so, I canceled our upgrade bids for a GS or a 2BR GS. It's a short trip, and the convenience of having everyone close by really nice.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I think I just had to have the most luckiest RoyalUp win ever. We are booked for Navigator OTS for April 4th. (4 Night Cruise). Wife and I booked a GTY Suite, and were placed in a JS on the 10th floor.

Our sons and their great aunt were in a GTY Balcony that on the same floor as our JS (Felt lucky about that) and I just won an upgrade for their room to a JS. But get this. They are now in the JS right next door to us. 1540 and 1544. Can't be happier for how it worked out. So much so, I canceled our upgrade bids for a GS or a 2BR GS. It's a short trip, and the convenience of having everyone close by really nice.

Congratulations!!  We cruise on 4/10 and my JS bid has been pending with no ability to modify or cancel for about 2 weeks now.  I’m not counting on anything happening.  

• Like 1

Just bid for the panoramic suite, ultra spacious ocean view, and panoramic ocean view on the Freedom for May 9. Did $5 over minimum for all of them. 

Coming from an interior promenade view, so it would be a nice upgrade! I could bid for all the way up to the 2 bedroom grand suite, min bid for that was $260 per person for me. I was surprised it was that low... But this is supposed to be a cheaper vacation for us so I'm resisting the urge to splurge!