Does Edge have Veranda Cabins?

compman9

I am sure people have been talking about it already but I was waiting to see the first passenger photos to see for myself

It appears that my fears have been confirmed - there are no traditional balcony cabins. They are Ocean View rooms with a large window that drops down!

I feel a bit Emperor's New Clothes here, but for those that like to sit in the sun on their balcony it's clearly either the cost of a suite or different ship

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

The aft SV cabins are "normal"  I wouldn't consider the 1As on the side as normal as your balcony opening is a porthole cut out of the hull.

If you can't get an SV... seems the only option  for a " traditional outside balcony"  is a suite.....

Other than top suites, seems to be very few loungers  on balc  if at all,  and def none for enclosed verandas....

Edited by hcat

I am on the Edge in January for 2 weeks in an SV and the next 2 weeks in Aqua class, long story how that booking happened, but I will sure see the difference in the balconies. For Oct/Nov B2B I booked a single cabin.. the rendering at the time of booking did not look different than the reg. infinity balcony, but looking at the video just now, it seems there is no sofa or a decent chair in the cabin and the bathroom looks much different too. Just wondering about the storage space...

Even the chairs on the infinity balconies look very uncomfortable, no more sunning on the balcony I guess... well these are my 5 cents.

Rose

23 minutes ago, Fun Redhead said:

Rose

Interesting...we have a similar scenario...but fewer days booked.

first we have 7 days in the AQ class cabin  in January...Not too keen about the Enclosed Veranda from what I've seen so far.

" Infinite" seems not very apt name  for such a small area..

After that experience we have a longer cruise next fall in a Sunset Veranda...that looks more promising with the large outside balcony( albeit no loungers out there)   We won't have BLU or Thermal suite but  a chance to  explore other dining...etc.

I think the single cabins look very cozy and compact but not bookable by  more than one person, so no plans for that right now,

It will  be fun to compare notes!

Edited by hcat

26 minutes ago, Fun Redhead said:

For Oct/Nov B2B I booked a single cabin.. the rendering at the time of booking did not look different than the reg. infinity balcony, but looking at the video just now, it seems there is no sofa or a decent chair in the cabin and the bathroom looks much different too. Just wondering about the storage space...

Are you referring to a video of Single Balcony cabin?  I saw one of the renderings but none of the actual cabin since the ship arrivd in Fort Lauderdale. Where did you find a video of the actual cabin? I must have missed it with all of the EDGE threads I'm following.

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Interesting...we have a similar scenario...but fewer days booked.

first we have 7 days in the AQ class cabin  in January...Not too keen about the Enclosed Veranda from what I've seen so far  .Infinite seems not very apt for such a small area..

After that experience we have a longer cruise next fall in a Sunset Veranda...that looks more promising with the large outside balcony( albeit no loungers out there)   We won't have BLU or Thermal suite but  a chance to  explore other dining...etc.

I think the single cabins look very cozy and compact but not bookable by  more than one person, so no plans for that right now,

It will  be fun to compare notes!

hope to meet you at the meet and mingle, if I ever get to book it, it seems my booking number can't be found, even so I already printed my boarding pass.. I am solo on the 6th and 13th, on the 20th I am with my friend Tish from South Carolina and on the 27th with my friend Sarah from Vancouver Island... Getting excited now, see you on board...

Rose

4 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Are you referring to a video of Single Balcony cabin?  I saw one of the renderings but none of the actual cabin since the ship arrivd in Fort Lauderdale. Where did you find a video of the actual cabin? I must have missed it with all of the EDGE threads I'm following.

Nancy, Luckylissette posted a video in "Closer to the ..Edge", a walk through of most cabins, but a few

13 minutes ago, Fun Redhead said:

way at the end and very fast, hard to see really anything. I played it back 3 times

I rewatched the video a few times... but boy, that was quick.  It would have been nice to see the complete layout of the cabin.  Oh well. I understand, most  people are interested in seeing the suites so they get the most coverage on all videos I've watched so far.  

Edited by ecslady

Yes, cruisestitch is right,  There are ‘standard’ veranda SR’s: SV/IA/IB. 94 of them. On my cruise in late March, there are 5 left. There are 920 or so Infinite Veranda SRs and 24 are left, so you can see all are very popular. Hope the OP can get one of the standard balconies since they think the IV is a drop down oceanview. But when the entire wall drops down, I personally don’t see that as some Oceanview SR. I think it gives a great deal of flexibility of having a whole room available all the way up to the balcony and the room is fully open to the sea, I’d describe it as a balcony the size of the full SR. Understand there isn’t the openness above, but all I ever saw was the deck above, not really that open. Said by someone who hasn’t been in an IV yet, and I’ll wait to see what it’s like by trying it. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

On 11/27/2018 at 4:29 AM, Denny01 said:

Yes, cruisestitch is right,  There are ‘standard’ veranda SR’s: SV/IA/IB. 94 of them. On my cruise in late March, there are 5 left. There are 920 or so Infinite Veranda SRs and 24 are left, so you can see all are very popular. Hope the OP can get one of the standard balconies since they think the IV is a drop down oceanview. But when the entire wall drops down, I personally don’t see that as some Oceanview SR. I think it gives a great deal of flexibility of having a whole room available all the way up to the balcony and the room is fully open to the sea, I’d describe it as a balcony the size of the full SR. Understand there isn’t the openness above, but all I ever saw was the deck above, not really that open. Said by someone who hasn’t been in an IV yet, and I’ll wait to see what it’s like by trying it. 

Den

Thank you for your well considered reply

I did not realise the entire wall drops down

I would have though that was dangerous. How does that stop people falling out?

To me, it looks like it just drops down to around half way - probably a little higher than a normal balcony

Hopefully, Celebrity will receive financial feedback with the normal balcony rooms selling out more quickly, and abandon this innovation to a smaller section of the available cabins for future ships

22 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Thank you for your well considered reply

I did not realise the entire wall drops down

I would have though that was dangerous. How does that stop people falling out?

To me, it looks like it just drops down to around half way - probably a little higher than a normal balcony

Hopefully, Celebrity will receive financial feedback with the normal balcony rooms selling out more quickly, and abandon this innovation to a smaller section of the available cabins for future ships

The window does drop down only about half way, so you end up with the height of a regular balcony.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:36 PM, cruisestitch said:

Yes there are verandah rooms -- not too many but there are some, Forward and Aft.  1A and 1B.  Pink on the Celebrity deck plans.

I  was told that the 1A and 1B are the hull verandas... aft and forward....balcony is has a circular cut out  view.  Is this  correct?  

Planning for the next releases.. Would love a reguar balcony but to get one seems we'd have to book a suite or an aft Sunset Veranda,,,trying that in Nov. 

At first I was excited about the Infinite Veranda concept, but I do think I will miss the open air-ness of normal balconies. I kind of do hope that Celebrity keeps the concept for future ships but in smaller quantities (perhaps the last 2 on order as I am sure Apex's engineering is pretty set in place) and incorporates more traditional balconies as well as It does seem like a big change to adapt to. I would love to always book Sky Suites and up in the future, although that may not be possible and at that point I think I would hope to book a SV. Never had a cabin that far aft, but until I actually walk into one of the infinite cabins I won't know how I truly feel about them and if I would book one. Right now I am thinking no, which cuts out a large portion of available "balcony" rooms.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:36 PM, cruisestitch said:

Yes there are verandah rooms -- not too many but there are some, Forward and Aft.  1A and 1B.  Pink on the Celebrity deck plans.

Does anyone know if these 1A and 1B cabins are the same size as the IV cabins?  If so this may be a problem.  It's apparent that the IV cabins are smaller and perhaps more cramped than the S-class cabins and people seem to be evolving into moving stuff onto the ICV balcony to get more room.  It the 1A/1B rooms are the same size without the flexibility, that seems like those cabins will be much more cramped.

Equinox standard cabin 194 sq ft excluding veranda. Edge cabin is 201 sq ft. So essentially the same size. The difference is that the veranda on Equinox is out side... and larger than the veranda on Edge. The Edge veranda is 40 sq ft... I am having trouble locating where I has seen veranda size for S class... but I think it was about 50 sq ft. So when the window is closed... the cabin includes the veranda space which is why they say the cabins are 23% larger than S class. They are comparing the 234 sq ft of indoor space in IV cabin to the 194 sq ft. I think the issue is that the veranda is rather cramped.. many would like to be able to recline... but that does not seem possible. In future designs I wonder if they took a bit more out of the cabin... to make the veranda section a bit larger... if that would work. Space is still inside... so it could still be used...but might allow more relaxation on veranda.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Equinox standard cabin 194 sq ft excluding veranda. Edge cabin is 201 sq ft. So essentially the same size. The difference is that the veranda on Equinox is out side... and larger than the veranda on Edge. The Edge veranda is 40 sq ft... I am having trouble locating where I has seen veranda size for S class... but I think it was about 50 sq ft. So when the window is closed... the cabin includes the veranda space which is why they say the cabins are 23% larger than S class. They are comparing the 234 sq ft of indoor space in IV cabin to the 194 sq ft. I think the issue is that the veranda is rather cramped.. many would like to be able to recline... but that does not seem possible. In future designs I wonder if they took a bit more out of the cabin... to make the veranda section a bit larger... if that would work. Space is still inside... so it could still be used...but might allow more relaxation on veranda.

I believe the reason they increased the interior of the cabin size and shrunk the veranda, is because they needed more space for the new King sized beds.

The veranda of the S class ships are 54 sq. ft.

Edited by ecslady

ecslady.... sounds reasonable. I thought the old beds were kings... at least they felt large enough. We have a king at home and frankly I did not notice a difference. I think I would prefer a bit more space... but I am sure there are plenty of people who would choose bed over space. I could not find the veranda measurement... thanks. that extra 14 sq ft makes a difference in terms of functionality. While not possible for Apex. I wonder if they were able to take out 6 inches from the cabin... that might be enough to make the folding doors less of a disruption... probably still not enough room for a reclining chair.

Looking at the latest reviews of Edge, it seems to me that the ship is gorgeous, but I'm not at all a fan of the Infinite verandahs...  I was pretty much writing off sailing on this class until someone mentioned on this thread that there are cabins with traditional verandahs.  Nice to see that there are going to be options for those of us who want a more separated indoor/out door space.