Shocking 60% of guests removed gratuities on NV Transatlantic

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I just compared 4 of our upcoming cruises and on 2 of them the prices (adjusting for exchange between CDN and AUD) are within $40 of each other.  

I mentioned this in an earlier post - the Aussie prices seem to be the US/CDN prices with some random exchange rate used, on some/most sailings. On some Aussie sailings, they are even lower.

No wonder the crew hate working European cruises.  

Here on Oasis crew who have worked six or seven contracts in a row on Oasis are bailing and requesting other ships for their next contract.  

On Symphony the sail out crew viewed it mixed feelings.  While it's a honor to be hand picked for a brand new ship on the TA they were so relieved to finally be getting to America where they can make more money with hard work.  

While people criticize crew wages and conditions that appears more of a European concern.  At least while they are in America they enjoy the ability to make much higher total compensation.  

I'm just glad I'm part of the solution.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

No wonder the crew hate working European cruises.  

Here on Oasis crew who have worked six or seven contracts in a row on Oasis are bailing and requesting other ships for their next contract.  

On Symphony the sail out crew viewed it mixed feelings.  While it's a honor to be hand picked for a brand new ship on the TA they were so relieved to finally be getting to America where they can make more money with hard work.  

While people criticize crew wages and conditions that appears more of a European concern.  At least while they are in America they enjoy the ability to make much higher total compensation.  

I'm just glad I'm part of the solution.  

As a Brit who sails predominantly in Europe I agree with you that the crew probably prefer the American sailings.

We pre-pay our tips and give out $200 extra in cash  per week mostly in the DL/CL and even on the last night see people leaving the DL without leaving any cash.

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As a Brit who sails predominantly in Europe I agree with you that the crew probably prefer the American sailings.

We pre-pay our tips and give out $200 extra in cash  per week mostly in the DL/CL and even on the last night see people leaving the DL without leaving any cash.

I've often wondered what the girls in my bank are thinking when I go in and ask a hundred in singles.  Here in America there are many land based establishments where single dollar bills are used for other purposes.  

58 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I mentioned this in an earlier post - the Aussie prices seem to be the US/CDN prices with some random exchange rate used, on some/most sailings. On some Aussie sailings, they are even lower.

Exchange rate is a variable that can introduce a certain level of imprecision.  Wholesale versus consumer rates, etc.

Using an unscientific method of comparing a couple cruises and using google to calculate the exchange, I often see AU cruises coming out around $400 AUD more expensive.  There are always exceptions and one-offs to be found.

I ran the same price comparison for some UK sailings with the deluxe package included.  That exercise was done in conjunction with some Brits modeling the same cruises from their perspective.  The conclusion there was that they would in theory be better off booking through the US website and buying the DX package in advance at typical CP 'sale' prices.  Better by a few hundred dollars.  That exercise wasn't done with any agenda to prove or disprove.  Just some friends running the numbers.  If a Brit doesn't drink alcohol that made the UK pricing even less attractive.  

The hidden part of some of the differences are regional adjustments that are made in lieu of certain regulations and consumer protection laws.  In the end the cost of such programs do get passed down to the consumer in terms of a higher cost of doing business. 

It's hard to account for such factors when simply looking at numbers on websites, but you can bet that companies do not just absorb that and accept lower profits or risk operating at a loss should something happen.  

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Now everybody should start to wonder if the staff gets "their" gratuities! 😮

At the end of the day the crew are paid based on their contracts and for some crew those contracts include a component derived from these gratuity charges. 

When gratuity is removed, it hurts the crew, not the company.  The company would never be so stupid to write a one sided contract that could impact the company.  Like the company doesn't know that some regional guests will have the gratuity removed.  

Why would crew even care to know how many guests removed the gratuity charges?  If they remained paid the same regardless, the crew wouldn't care if guests removed the gratuity and they wouldn't discuss it among themselves.  

Edited by twangster

Isn't it a good thing that everybody  can do with their money whatever they please... 👍
 I think all the arguments are exchanged and at the end of the day everybody - can do whatever they feel is right for them! 👍

The current system makes  gratuities optional and that is a good thing! 🙃

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

If the company bundles in gratuity like some people desire, you would not be allowed to have it removed.

In that sense the gratuity is functioning as intended.  Crew know that guests can have it removed if they slack off and provide poor service.  It motivates crew to provide exceptional service.

In Australia where it's bundled in why should crew work hard?  If they slack off there is nothing any guest can do about it.  

If they converted all sailings to have it bundled and mandatory, service would eventually decline.  Be careful what you wish for.  

5 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

I didn't mention anything about what Americsns "think".

Hmmm, someone must have made this comment under your name.  Again, I don't care what system you use.     

"Unfortunately, Americans have designed their own model for remuneration in the hospitality industry, and then think the rest of the world is wrong for actually paying their staff a decent wage in the first place.+

7 hours ago, Banana Benders said:

The one that I find hard to believe and you see it every day in the lounges.

The drinks served have NO gratuity (18%) added because they are free for the 3 hr happy hour. So all the waiters are just working for wages (some Pinnacles think its a privilege to serve them). 

You see so many D, D+ and Pinnicles who treat the barman and woman with total disrespect.

Most of the upper member are more interested in one upping and the next time they can get photo's with Captain(Believe me he doesn't enjoy dining or posing with you)

I think people just forget how lucky we are to do what we do.

How much you tip doesn't matter, its all about respect.

So true and it’s amazing how quiet it can be on the last night of a cruise when we always ensure the staff get a tip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I've often wondered what the girls in my bank are thinking when I go in and ask a hundred in singles.  Here in America there are many land based establishments where single dollar bills are used for other purposes.  

My TA got me 200 single dollars but usually I have to go to Guest Services to get larger denomination notes exchanged but when I explain the single dollars are for tipping they usually oblige.

I have never removed the Gratuity on our cruise, so have a question, if you were to remove them, does this eliminate the daily Gratuity charges that go on our accts. I would never remove the gratuities the crew earns for their hard work. I will either pay them on the daily basis or pre pay. 

2 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Have not seen any of that for at least the last 5 years - with all the service cuts - I do not think service is worth anything theses days!:classic_rolleyes:

You should sail on the cruises I sail.   Perhaps it's the way I treat the crew or the smile on my face but I can't remember seeing a sour attitude or getting bad service in a long time and not yet this year with 13 of 14 cruises complete.  

On land is another story and I'm not shy about reducing tips when service is bad.  I just haven't had the inclination to on any Royal cruise yet.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

I can't remember seeing a sour attitude or getting bad service in a long time

I did not say bad service.....but nothing above and beyond also!

You tip for regular or mediocre service?🤔

I think that is the main discrepancy.....I purchase a product and expect that to be delivered by the company and the staff involved.

Putting a plate with some warm food in front of me is NOT "wonderful service" - heck I do not even see how a cabin steward COULD deliver "wonderful service" - what could he  do to achieve that?:classic_rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Putting a plate with some warm food in front of me is NOT "wonderful service" - heck I do not even see how a cabin steward COULD deliver "wonderful service" - what could he  do to achieve that?:classic_rolleyes:

Small things.  The manner in which they interact with you.  Not just doing their job, but how they do that job.  

Perhaps this is the regional differences coming to light.  I don't demand five star treatment to warrant earning any gratuity.  I don't expect rose pedals on my bed or my shoes shined without asking before I'll leave a tip.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Small things.  The manner in which they interact with you.  Not just doing their job, but how they do that job.  

Perhaps this is the regional differences coming to light.  I don't demand five star treatment to warrant earning any gratuity.  I don't expect rose pedals on my bed or my shoes shined without asking before I'll leave a tip.  

Definitely a cultural differente....I just want them to do their job and keep a professional distance!

Americans often want the staff to be their "new friends" :classic_huh:

I very much prefer them to just do their job and not having  to small-talk with them!:classic_rolleyes:

If they ask where I come from and what I do...I find that very intrusive and unprofessional ...but I guess they have been trained to do that - to maximise their tips!:classic_ohmy:

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik