Ovation in Sydney 28 Nov

There are a few people on the book of faces stating they were not able to get to Sydney today and so missed getting on.  One even stated that flights were cancelled yesterday because of the weather.  This I thought we would have heard of before today.

39 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

It is why after that one bad experience we had we will never, ever, travel on the day the ship is due to leave and we will also make sure we have plenty of time on the day before as well.

This is the second time in a fortnight, that Sydney flights have been reduced to using only one runway, with many flights cancelled/delayed.  

40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

This is the second time in a fortnight, that Sydney flights have been reduced to using only one runway, with many flights cancelled/delayed.  

With more extreme weather occurring more often, it will happen again. Plan for the possible.

The next port on this cruise is Bay of Islands on Saturday and then Auckland on Sunday. Auckland would have to be the port to catch up with the cruise  , if they wanted to , but they would have lost 4 days out of a 14 day cruise.

Wonder how travel insurance will come into play on this one?

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The next port on this cruise is Bay of Islands on Saturday and then Auckland on Sunday. Auckland would have to be the port to catch up with the cruise  , if they wanted to , but they would have lost 4 days out of a 14 day cruise.

Wonder how travel insurance will come into play on this one?

How did they lose 4 days? Thought they only left a few hours late?

2 hours ago, Scyl said:

The cruise has not lost 4 days, I was referring to those who could not get to Sydney on the day of sailing due to cancelled flights. Hopefully with the ship waiting , most passengers who were flying in on that  day  got there and boarded the ship for their cruise..Those who did not will either have insurance claims or can fly to the next available boarding port.

2 hours ago, Scyl said:

Only 2 days surely, (and don't call me shirley).  A flight to Auckland, a short drive to Bay of Islands, stay there and do whatever port tours they wished and board there.  I suppose you could add yesterday as well and make it 3 days.

We were aboard as a family group and certainly had a dramatic return to Sydney.

The sunrise was bright red under the black clouds. The luggage was delayed by an hour because of the lightning and heavy rain. Quite a few had cancelled or delayed flights.

But we were lucky. Straight out to the taxi line, no waiting and driving through a few deep puddles we made it to Central then home.

But must admit we have enjoyed Ovation more than we did on this cruise.

A combination of the cruise being a short one 5N/6D, bad weather, not the usual happy staff (not all), some very inexperienced staff giving wrong information, no Joff Eaton as CD (but he is there now) and the food seemed not as nice and fresh.

But even so we still enjoyed our cruise, beats being home doing housework!

Edited by megsie

10 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

Only 2 days surely, (and don't call me shirley).  A flight to Auckland, a short drive to Bay of Islands, stay there and do whatever port tours they wished and board there.  I suppose you could add yesterday as well and make it 3 days.

I was thinking of what an insurance would pay , namely the most economical outcome ,

ie  ... fly to Auckland and go direct from airport and  board the ship. 

8 minutes ago, megsie said:

A combination of the cruise being a short one 5N/6D, bad weather, not the usual happy staff (not all), some very inexperienced staff giving wrong information, no Joff Eaton as CD (but he is there now) and the food seemed not as nice and fresh.

But even so we still enjoyed our cruise, beats being home doing housework!

We missed Joff on our Singapore to Sydney cruise.