Does cruising stop some from trying land vacations?

Mike981

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

If you spin it the other way round there are always people with holiday habits who go to the same holiday home/hotel/resort/campsite each year. Are they missing on other trips?

Definitely, variety is the spice of life.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

With kid headed to Oz, why not book flight to Sydney and do transpacific back to California?

Or fly direct to Sydney from California and do the long layover on a flight back through Tahiti. Now that United is flying direct to Papeete, competitive prices are more attractive.

Once you've visited Polynesia, the Caribbean will become a distant memory.

Thank you for the information Flatbush. Unfortunately vacation time is going to dictate how we tackle Oz. I would LOVE to spend time with my daughter and then cruise back to the States, but we just can't swing that much time off.

3 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Thank you for the information Flatbush. Unfortunately vacation time is going to dictate how we tackle Oz. I would LOVE to spend time with my daughter and then cruise back to the States, but we just can't swing that much time off.

Do the flights but have a stop over for a night (at least) each way in Hawaii, that would break it up a bit.

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

there are always people with holiday habits who go to the same holiday home/hotel/resort/campsite each year. Are they missing on other trips?

Yes.

Of course, they may not care if they're missing out on other opportunities.  Some people are content to enjoy what they enjoy, others get enjoyment out of new experiences.  I've met people with no interest in traveling outside of their region (let alone their province) - truly, no desire to see what else is out there.  I can't understand it, but I felt she was being honest when she said it.  She couldn't explain it, but of course, you can't really explain why you don't like the idea of something other than saying you have no interest.  For instance, I have absolutely no interest in going to France, even though I can't explain why or come up with a specific reason. 

I used to do a lot of land vacations for a number of years and I enjoyed them all.  Some of the trips have been very memorable.  The one thing I did not care for was packing and unpacking every day or every other day.  Now most of my travel is on a cruise ship.  I unpack once, and then the hotel moves from place to place, gets back to where I started from, and I pack up again.  The cruise experience to me is much more relaxing, but I don't have the same memories from any cruise that I do from land trips to Australia, South East Asia, Italy, and other destinations in Europe.  I truly loved those trips, but they were not what I would call relaxing.  Very enjoyable, yes, relaxing, no, as we were always on the go it seems.  I love both and just enjoy going to different places to see and experience different things.  One doesn't replace the other, they complement each other.  

Edited by travelnap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yes.

Of course, they may not care if they're missing out on other opportunities.  Some people are content to enjoy what they enjoy, others get enjoyment out of new experiences.  I've met people with no interest in traveling outside of their region (let alone their province) - truly, no desire to see what else is out there.  I can't understand it, but I felt she was being honest when she said it.  She couldn't explain it, but of course, you can't really explain why you don't like the idea of something other than saying you have no interest.  For instance, I have absolutely no interest in going to France, even though I can't explain why or come up with a specific reason. 

We have two older kids (23-25) and we all love to travel. We recently were talking about the number of people in our sphere who consider a couple hours drive a long trip. My daughter took four months (yes seriously) off to travel the western U.S. and Canada by herself.

Mrs Gut isn’t allowed to fly, I’ve got a crook back, so cruising is just about perfect for us.

though we are just back from. Cruise and trying hard to work out if we are up to a road trip to the north and west coasts of Tasmania.

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

Oh geez, that is a great a great idea. Thank you.

With all due respect for the Hawaiian Islands, I would advise against making a first trip there only to include a day in Honolulu (which is pretty much L.A.). A few days there, however, would allow you to get up to the North Shore and maybe even to make the short hop to Kauai, which IMO is the jewel of Hawaii.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

With all due respect for the Hawaiian Islands, I would advise against making a first trip there only to include a day in Honolulu (which is pretty much L.A.). A few days there, however, would allow you to get up to the North Shore and maybe even to make the short hop to Kauai, which IMO is the jewel of Hawaii.

Yes, lots to see and do away from Honolulu.

On 12/2/2018 at 3:15 AM, John Bull said:

Similar is the Baltic. Terribly convoluted to drive round, expensive & tortuous by air, sooooo very civilised by cruise ship

JB :classic_smile: 

I was just curious why you think the Baltics is convoluted to drive around🙄? Usually Schengen zone countries are pretty easy to drive around.

As for the original inquiry my mode of transport is dictated by my destination. I look for how I can get the most out of the place I want to visit. Like my trip to the Marquesas I found cruising compared to independent travel would give me a better experience of the archipelago. I think age and physical abilities is a major factor. I do find myself leaning towards more intensive holidays because I know I have the opportunity and health to do so. When I get older or less physically able I will probably look towards the more relaxing trips and cruises will most likely be my go to:classic_smile:

Though as a solo traveller I don't know if cruises would be quite as cost effective. 

On 12/25/2018 at 12:57 PM, ilikeanswers said:

I was just curious why you think the Baltics is convoluted to drive around🙄? Usually Schengen zone countries are pretty easy to drive around.

I think it might be more a nod to the crown jewel of the Baltics itinerary which is Russia which of course is trying to get around for many reasons.

Also, I hear from some of the Slavic families  I work with how the roads that are not motorways are poorly maintained in comparison to other countries and not very well lit and so forth. There is also the fact those parts have heavy trucking routes.

Edited by Velvetwater

Interesting replies to an interesting question.  We are all different people and our wants and needs are all different.  I am 60 and I sail solo and have not taken a "land trip" in many years.  I LOVE cruising and have been sailing solo since 2003 and now it almost 2019.  I feel cruising is the easiest, most fun way for me to travel and yes, I realize the ports are not going places for a week at once...….doesn't matter to me.  As independent as I feel I am, flying to a country and staying by myself for a week or 2 does not appeal to me. I love being on the water, having my meals cooked, my room cleaned, meeting other people, etc...I love cruising.….oh, yes, unpack once as stated earlier too. And I have gone to many places that I otherwise would have not visited.

Different strokes for different folks......if you like a land trip? Go  and do it...….if you like a cruise? SAIL!!!!!! If you want to do both, well, do that too...…..there is something out there for all of us.:classic_smile:

On 12/30/2018 at 10:12 PM, Velvetwater said:

I think it might be more a nod to the crown jewel of the Baltics itinerary which is Russia which of course is trying to get around for many reasons.

Also, I hear from some of the Slavic families  I work with how the roads that are not motorways are poorly maintained in comparison to other countries and not very well lit and so forth. There is also the fact those parts have heavy trucking routes.

I have to admit when I think baltics I don't think Russia🤔, but that makes sense Russia would be a complicated add on😥. Thanks for the insight🤗.