Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

Just now, Blingz said:

Ann, do you know if the cabin doors are metal?  Will a magnet stick to them??

Janice

They are metal but with wood veneer, so my magnet did not work.  The address plates have a bit of a gap behind them, so some folks hung signs or flags from them.

I am truly enjoying all the work folks are doing on this thread keeping us up to date on the lovely aspects of this new ship. 

I’m a novice on cruising so this question may seem odd to the veterans here, but I’ve read on several sites about brining ones’ own favorite pillow as the ships pillows may be a bit ‘lacking’. Can anyone attest to the need to do so on NS? I’m booked in a Spay Veranda room and assume the bedding and pillows will be adequate but can anyone speak to that?

Many Thanks

Peter

Can add my mom and I to the list as we will also  be embarking next Wednesday. Were going out for 18 days so till Jan.6th. Driving down to Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday.  Will be our 31st year in a row going out to sea for the holidays. Its been raining where we are in the Tampa area most of the day. A lot of Holiday events are being either canceled or re scheduled.

Thanks VictOriann for all the time you are putting into doing  this blog.

Edited by rjbean4

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

I noticed them, too, and was really disappointed that they are served with a "mixed berry compote," not the lingonberries traditionally accompanying them.  Sad.  :classic_sad:

Regardless of the berry compote, what I was served was delicious!  Agree, having lingonberries would have been good as well.

29 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

Can add my mom and I to the list as we will also  be embarking next Wednesday. Were going out for 18 days so till Jan.6th. Driving down to Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday.  Will be our 31st year in a row going out to sea for the holidays. Its been raining where we are in the Tampa area most of the day. A lot of Holiday events are being either canceled or re scheduled.

Thanks VictOriann for all the time you are putting into doing  this blog.

Is it the Meet & Mingle that you want to be added to?  If so, of course you can!  Just let me know!

~Barbara~

Edited by beachbunny6

1 hour ago, Tutpug said:

I’m a novice on cruising so this question may seem odd to the veterans here, but I’ve read on several sites about brining ones’ own favorite pillow as the ships pillows may be a bit ‘lacking’. Can anyone attest to the need to do so on NS? 

Peter, I can understand that if you have a need for your own pillow, you would like to bring it with you.  I, too, have thought about bringing my pillow, because I have neck/back problems, and am concerned about not being comfortable to sleep.  For this cruise, however, I am not going to be bringing it along, because I think that I can make it for the four nights without it.  That being said, I still have the option to change my mind, and might bring it anyway.

I know, that was not a really good answer, but I believe firmly that the decision is yours, and no one will ever think poorly of you for doing whatever you choose to do.  

~Barbara~

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

Is it the Meet & Mingle that you want to be added to?  If so, of course you can!  Just let me know!

~Barbara~

I was referring to that we are sailing on the Nieuw Statendam on Wednesday as someone else mentioned in a earlier post. Sorry about that. Regarding the meet and mingle I don't know when and where its scheduled to be and not sure if we would attend.

4 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

I was referring to that we are sailing on the Nieuw Statendam on Wednesday as someone else mentioned in a earlier post. Sorry about that. Regarding the meet and mingle I don't know when and where its scheduled to be and not sure if we would attend.

Our Meet & Mingle for the December 19th cruise is scheduled for Thursday, December 20th, at 11:00 AM in the Billboard Onboard venue.  We would be glad to have you and your mom join us.

~Barbara~

59 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

I know, that was not a really good answer, but I believe firmly that the decision is yours, and no one will ever think poorly of you for doing whatever you choose to do.  

~Barbara~

Thanks Barbara!

Thank you for taking time from your cruise vacation to share with us your experiences. Reading all the posts make it easier to book our next vacation on the Statendam. We are thinking of going on this ship as part of a multi generation family trip. I have a question about the TV's in the room. My parents like to watch movies before going to bed. How well does the interactive tv work in the staterooms? Do the movies load fast? Is there a good number of selections? Finally, is there a selection of foreign movies, looking for Indian/Hindi movies specifically? 

My stateroom door is metal and will hold magnets. Both front and back. I just tested it. 

The stateroom beds come with 2 or 3

pillows for each person. I like soft pillows and one of mine is soft yet supportive; the other is long (king size) and more firm. But a pillow is a very personal thing - what one person likes, another doesn’t. 

I havent seen or heard heard of any karaoke. 

Last night at dinner, we were informed that they have run out of the wine we had picked - the wine steward brought a different Italian Pinot Grigio.  I imagine they will be restocking in Fort Lauderdale.  We must be drinking a lot!  

Czaba said that that at the Cellar Master dinner he had brought in some of the “new” wines.  There will be changes to the packages, I guess.

We’re rocking and rolling this morning.  I wonder how many will be at breakfast!

Edited by Vict0riann

3 hours ago, rajat190 said:

Thank you for taking time from your cruise vacation to share with us your experiences. Reading all the posts make it easier to book our next vacation on the Statendam. We are thinking of going on this ship as part of a multi generation family trip. I have a question about the TV's in the room. My parents like to watch movies before going to bed. How well does the interactive tv work in the staterooms? Do the movies load fast? Is there a good number of selections? Finally, is there a selection of foreign movies, looking for Indian/Hindi movies specifically? 

There are a lot of movies.  I don’t see a foreign section , and we don’t really watch movies, so I can’t say if there are Indian ones.  I will check at the front desk. 

No foreign movies. But like Ann said, lots of movies from which to choose.

Also a number of TV shows - Big Bang Theory seasons 10 and 11; Young Sheldon season 1; a number of HGTV house hunting and Caribbean Life shows; Travel Channel shows. And some cooking shows from America’s Test Kitchen. 

All in, there’s probably at least 50 movies available. They load right away and you can even pause them and turn off the TV. When you come back and go to the movie it lets you resume from where you left off. 

Theres also MSNBC, FoxNews, CNBC, BBC and some sports channels - I think it’s ESPN. 

Edited by scluvsrain
  • Like 1

If anyone has a spare orange wig and orange beads from last night they’d be willing to part with, I’d be eternally grateful. I had mine on but left them on a side table and forgot about them until this morning. ☹️☹️☹️  The wig was tickling my head a little so I took it off temporarily. 

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

If anyone has a spare orange wig and orange beads from last night they’d be willing to part with, I’d be eternally grateful. I had mine on but left them on a side table and forgot about them until this morning. ☹️☹️☹️  The wig was tickling my head a little so I took it off temporarily. 

We were late to the party after the Pinnacle, and they had run out of most of the goodies, but I will put a string of beads in my bag, and will give it to you when next I see you.  (Mass?)