Need to Average more than 2 Alcoholic Drinks/Day for Deluxe PAckage???

LB_NJ

6 minutes ago, TreeCity said:

Is there a onboard percentage discount for Diamonds? If so does anyone know what percentage it is? What is the discount for D+...looking to the future 🙂 ( searched the forum and could not find anything so sorry for what I know is a repeat question)

D+ discount is 30%.   At one time, the D discount was 20%, but that was not implemented consistently fleetwide, and I've not seen any reports of that being available in more than a year.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:15 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Are you referring to the gratuity? The price posted in the cruise planner doesn't include the gratuity. You only see the gratuity charge when you add the package to your cart. The gratuity is 18% each day for the daily price. The price on board is more than if you prebook it and you will still be charged the gratuity if you purchase the package on board. It is better to buy it online when it's on sale.

Thank you for the information!

On 12/13/2018 at 4:15 PM, reallyitsmema said:

The service charge is the 18% gratuity which is added whether you buy the package onboard or through your cruise planner.  Prices are typically better prior to sailing, unless you are D+ or up and use your onboard percentage discount.

Thank you! Pre-buying is the way to go!

On 12/13/2018 at 11:01 AM, LB_NJ said:

Am I missing something.  The price spread between the Refreshment package and the Deluxe package looks to be around $25 per day.

Unless I am doing the math wrong, that means you would have to average more than 2 alcoholic drinks per day over the whole cruise to have the Deluxe package make economic sense. (Ignoring any type of convenience factor).

Here is a spreadsheet to see if it is worth it or not. 

Beverage Program Calculation.xls

It is true that the calculations will be different for everyone.  Drinking habits, Sea days vs Port days, D+ and other loyalty complimentary drinks perks, duration of cruise, cruising with or without kids.  All these factors and more can influence the value of the bev packages.  For those thinking that averaging 2 drinks a day is a stretch... I cannot see that a deluxe package would be beneficial.  I on the other hand would have broken even during lunch time if it only took 2 drinks. People can judge all they want, but on our first 4 day cruise (no kids) I had a package and averaged 11 drinks a day not counting coffees and waters.  Our last 7 day cruise, we were closer to 8 or 9 drinks a day, even when we spent the afternoon in the Pirate Republic Brewery in Nassau we still broke even on the ship drinks and continued to more than break even on the last days.  Our next cruise is 12 days and we already pre-purchased the deluxe packages.  I'm confident that we will still come out ahead, but if not, I'll be back here to report that I lost that bet :classic_wink:

to be continued...

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, dpostman said:

It is true that the calculations will be different for everyone.  Drinking habits, Sea days vs Port days, D+ and other loyalty complimentary drinks perks, duration of cruise, cruising with or without kids.  All these factors and more can influence the value of the bev packages.  For those thinking that averaging 2 drinks a day is a stretch... I cannot see that a deluxe package would be beneficial.  I on the other hand would have broken even during lunch time if it only took 2 drinks. People can judge all they want, but on our first 4 day cruise (no kids) I had a package and averaged 11 drinks a day not counting coffees and waters.  Our last 7 day cruise, we were closer to 8 or 9 drinks a day, even when we spent the afternoon in the Pirate Republic Brewery in Nassau we still broke even on the ship drinks and continued to more than break even on the last days.  Our next cruise is 12 days and we already pre-purchased the deluxe packages.  I'm confident that we will still come out ahead, but if not, I'll be back here to report that I lost that bet :classic_wink:

to be continued...

dp

Unless my next cruise is almost exclusively port days (which doesn't appeal to me), there is no way I will cruise without the drink package. I used it on my cruise earlier this year and got more than my money's worth, although we did get a very good savings and used on-board credit to purchase it. But yeah, not counting my morning chai latte and countless bottles of sparking and still water, it was easy to break even by lunch time or early afternoon!

57 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Thank you for all the info.  

Got more response than I thought I would.

Not judging, just trying to make sure I am understanding.

Bev packages are usually popular subjects.

Also, Have a Great Cruise!

dp

Almost everyone positions the pricing value of a beverage package directly against the stadium prices that the cruise line charges a la carte. The same logic is used to sell time-shares.

In contrast, purchasing the deluxe package in advance with the typical discount will still cost you over $900 for two people on a seven day cruise. So most of the posters in this thread believe that $900 for alcohol is a good deal. If spending that much money for booze seems a bit much than maybe, just maybe, you should be budgeting better and consider what your actual needs are while onboard. Despite what you hear and read, a cruise is not a frat party.

25 minutes ago, Landlocked Luke said:

Almost everyone positions the pricing value of a beverage package directly against the stadium prices that the cruise line charges a la carte. The same logic is used to sell time-shares.

In contrast, purchasing the deluxe package in advance with the typical discount will still cost you over $900 for two people on a seven day cruise. So most of the posters in this thread believe that $900 for alcohol is a good deal. If spending that much money for booze seems a bit much than maybe, just maybe, you should be budgeting better and consider what your actual needs are while onboard. Despite what you hear and read, a cruise is not a frat party.

If it is not a good deal for you, then don't get it. No need to come on here with such a judging post about those that do. 

59 minutes ago, Landlocked Luke said:

How do you $900?  Even at $50 a day it come to $700 before gratuities for 2 on a 7 day cruise, add those in you are at just over $800.  I have never paid close to $50 a day, my low was $39.  We definitely get our monies worth especially with all the non alcoholic drinks included and we have never been "sloshed" or act like we are a frat party.  I will have more bottles of water alone in a day than alcoholic drinks.

As others have stated if it's not for you great don't buy it, but please don't judge those that do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Landlocked Luke said:

Actually, I don't think it is a good deal at all.  Our 12 day cruise next summer is costing my wife and I EACH $871.83 CAD.  That is a ridiculous price... but, I have accepted that this is the price I have to pay in order to consider my cruise as "All Inclusive".  I know in advance that this is what I'll pay and do so in advance.  If I don't do that, I'll be regretting it onboard and will be restricting myself or pay through the nose and somehow that will make my drinks a little less enjoyable.

We only cruise every 2 years for some sort of occasion and like the fact that we can travel to many countries and sleep in the same room every night, so we chose to cruise and pay the price it costs.

Some people may think that drinking enough to make a package worth while automatically entails partying and being loud and obnoxious.  I can assure you, for my self and my group of friends, this is not at all the case.  I enjoy many different types of drinks, 2 or 3 Craft beers in the afternoon, one experimental blender fru fru drink before heading up to the room.  One beer in the room as we are getting ready, one or two liquor based drinks (Gin & Tonic, Old Fashioned...) in the cocktail lounge before dinner, one or 2 glasses of wine with dinner, one after dinner cocktail at a show or music performance, and one big glass of water before bed between 11 and midnight.  Then up at around 6am with no need for Tylenol or Advil and Start another day.  At no point during this time are any of us tipsy or can't walk straight... Or my wife would be the first one to let me know.

These are the type of days I REALLY enjoy and I pay the price it takes to do it, but I do wish it cost less😉

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, Atlantix2000 said:

Well, yes you only need to 2 cocktails to break even on the price difference of the Deluxe Package IF you're already planning to use the Refreshment Package to its fullest.  Some people don't want bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, or specialty coffee so the Refreshment Package (or those parts of the Deluxe Package) are useless to them.  That's why some people figure 4-5 cocktails/glasses of wine or 6-7 beers is necessary to break even on the Deluxe.  You have to do the math based on what you will drink not what others will drink.

Based on reading these forums, I think the number of people that think 5+ alcoholic drinks a day is shocking is actually smaller than the number of people who are shocked that some people don't want bottled water!

On 12/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, MacMarauder said:

Yes this is what I was thinking as well but couldn't quite put the words to it.  I would never buy the refreshment package so my calculation is between deluxe or nothing.  Since I don't drink that much I just pay by the drink and it has worked out in my favor so far.  

Thanks for pointing this out, Atlantix.  I'm like MacMarauder that I knew the math wasn't that simple but couldn't express it as well as you did.  If someone would benefit from the refreshment package and drinks much alcohol at all then of course it looks like a good deal.  Since we are fine with included beverages for our zero proof drink (or just an occasional specialty coffee, not multiple every day) our decision is still based on the deluxe or nothing.  Averaging 14 drinks over the course of a 7 day cruise would be a no brainer for us, but 50 drinks or more - each - not so much 😉 

I fall into both shocking categories - 5+ drinks isn't shocking to me (but not something I'd do each day) and I don't want bottled water (tap is fine for me).

How does one go about finding out if there is a price drop/change/sale on the drink packages. We usually sale NCL and they include it as a "perk" (even though I am aware they jacked up the price of the cruise). However, we love the convenience of not having to sign those annoying little slips all the time.

5 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

How does one go about finding out if there is a price drop/change/sale on the drink packages. We usually sale NCL and they include it as a "perk" (even though I am aware they jacked up the price of the cruise). However, we love the convenience of not having to sign those annoying little slips all the time.

Use your Cruise Planner and look up the current price.

3 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

We have not booked as of yet. I will be able to once I book?  Do I need to check daily on that?

Yes, once you have booked you can use the Cruise Planner on Royal's website to check prices. purchase, or cancel.

1 hour ago, cruisegal40 said:

We have not booked as of yet. I will be able to once I book?  Do I need to check daily on that?

Just to add, the Bev Packages pricing will vary slightly from ship to ship and also itineraries, but the Cruise Planner pre-cruise price is always cheaper than once onboard unless you have a loyalty discount or some other form of special pricing.

Once you have access to your cruise planner, usually a day or 2 after booking, you can check daily, but usually, any major cruise planner specials will show up on CC as soon as they start and sometimes before.

If you purchase a cruise planner item, and then you see them later at a lower price, it is easy in the planner to cancel your initial purchase and repurchase again at the lower price.  This is done all the time.  I would caution about this on certain items, Bev packages and internet packages are not a problem since they can't sell out, but other items that have a limited number available, such as Chef's Table, if it shows up at a better price, you might not get your preferred time slot if you cancel and try to re-book.

Sales in the cruise planner are sort of unpredictable and can happen any time, but usually you will see some sort of deal around major holidays and events: Black Friday/Cyber Monday, Christmas/New year...

dp

20 hours ago, koolkat63 said:

I am sailing Royal for the first time and wondering if the drink packages ever get discounted before sailing.

Also do the premium drink packages include specialty coffees, water etc. 

Yes- and if you book in advance, you can cancel and rebook if the price goes down. On my upcoming sailing, I got $48.  It’s gone as high as $52.  Note, prices can vary per sailing and ship.  I think our Alaska one got down to $44 this past June.