WOW Airline reducing flights

fredflint

Just read this in case anyone has booked them a few months out

If you booked an upcoming flight with WOW Air, you might be forced to reschedule with an entirely different airline.

The budget carrier announced Thursday it’s cutting back from 20 to 11 airplanes and will be selling four Airbus A321s for $10 million to raise much-needed cash to keep the company afloat, USA Today reports.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/flying-with-wow-air-you-might-need-to-rebook-as-airline-sells-off-planes-lays-off-employeeswow-air.jpg

3 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I will stick with airlines I am familiar with. I can get good fares on Jet Blue but never flown them so hesitant to do so for our flights to San Juan in 2020. 

Jet Blue is pretty established and the seat pitch is 34" in economy. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I will stick with airlines I am familiar with. I can get good fares on Jet Blue but never flown them so hesitant to do so for our flights to San Juan in 2020. 

JetBlue is my Airline of choice.  I have flown several times to SJU on them. I have never had an issue in all of the years since they began. You should give them a try.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I can get a non stop flight from Palm Springs, Ca to JFK then into SJ and back. My main problem is the limited return times for Calif. I can do a Noon flight getting me home around 10 PM or wait until 2 AM on United through IAH and home at 11 AM. if I were to fly out this March prices showing under $600 round trip. I probably will check Air 2 Sea when flights become available and will also consider JB

9 hours ago, fredflint said:

Just read this in case anyone has booked them a few months out

If you booked an upcoming flight with WOW Air, you might be forced to reschedule with an entirely different airline.

The budget carrier announced Thursday it’s cutting back from 20 to 11 airplanes and will be selling four Airbus A321s for $10 million to raise much-needed cash to keep the company afloat, USA Today reports.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/flying-with-wow-air-you-might-need-to-rebook-as-airline-sells-off-planes-lays-off-employeeswow-air.jpg

They are expected to fold in the first quarter of 2019! 🙄

Norwegian is next... 🥴

7 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I can get a non stop flight from Palm Springs, Ca to JFK then into SJ and back. My main problem is the limited return times for Calif. I can do a Noon flight getting me home around 10 PM or wait until 2 AM on United through IAH and home at 11 AM. if I were to fly out this March prices showing under $600 round trip. I probably will check Air 2 Sea when flights become available and will also consider JB

Even flights to JFK which is JetBlues Hub are limited from SJU. I never could understand that. Never a direct flight. We always had a connection in Miami.  Plenty of non stop flights going  there though.

Edited by Iamcruzin

26 minutes ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

What´s this to do with RCI???

Mods - please move to appropriate place.

While I agree that it's not appropriate for RCI, many fly to and from port. It actually should be posted on all boards since most people wouldn't see this in the float away lounge.   It may have helped  Desert Cruisers  who was skeptical about JetBlue. Thanks for the call out OP.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

What´s this to do with RCI???

Mods - please move to appropriate place.

If I was booked on a Royal cruise and on Wow to get there, it would be very appropriate. I'm sure there are some on the Royal Board in that situation.

Edited by bilyclub
add

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Even flights to JFK which is JetBlues Hub are limited from SJU. I never could understand that. Never a direct flight. We always had a connection in Miami.  Plenty of non stop flights going  there though.

I'm sure you meant "nonstop" instead of "direct" - a "direct" flight will still have stops - you just don't change planes...

The number of people wanting to get to Miami is probably greater than the number of people wanting to get to/from San Juan.   It most likely isn't financially meaningful to offer nonstops to more airports and will just fly to a "hub" and offer some flights to the spokes outlying.

I have a bad taste for JetBlue after their pathetic handling of some weather issues - remember when they were in the news for major blunders and the CEO had to go on TV and apologize?  .  Screw me once, ok.  Screw me twice, you're dead to me...  

My preferred flight from Palm Springs and back is United. They offer me better flights and being able to meet up with the daughter over & back . She will fly from COL. We both can go over & return on United through IAH. The only problem with this one flight, is they leave from SJ at 2 AM. My choices are Noon on JB or 2 AM on United. 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:46 AM, slidergirl said:

I'm sure you meant "nonstop" instead of "direct" - a "direct" flight will still have stops - you just don't change planes...

Actually, that's not entirely true either. A "direct flight" simply means the flight number remains the same. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything else...United can say they have a "Direct Flight" from Hamburg to Dallas (just throwing a hypothetical here) by offering a flight UA123, but UA123 could be a 767-300 from HAM-EWR and a 737-700 from EWR-DFW...still a legit direct fly if both are UA123.

This is why many of us on here stress the difference between nonstop and direct, because direct can mean many different things, and they're usually different than what most people think they mean.

I am aware I sometimes I use the Direct incorrectly. If a flight isn't Non Stop then it has connections and some of those connections are all over the map. An example I have seen from my city of Palm Springs, Ca to say MIA. A flight will take me to San Fran then across. My most direct route is PSP -----> DFW-----> MIA or FLL Another flight out of Seattle to Palm Springs was SEA to SLC to LAX to PSP. If I take Alaska out it will fly me Non Stop to PSP.  If a flight has to go to LAX to get me home it might as well stop in Palm Springs. LOL

17 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I am aware I sometimes I use the Direct incorrectly. If a flight isn't Non Stop then it has connections and some of those connections are all over the map.

NO NO NO.  You can very easily have a direct flight without a "connection".  There is a stop, but the flight number does not change.  THAT is what controls the definition.  Because the word "Connection", just like "Direct" and "Non-Stop" have specified, defined meaning in the industry.  And it doesn't matter what YOU call it.

An example I have seen from my city of Palm Springs, Ca to say MIA. A flight will take me to San Fran then across. My most direct route is PSP -----> DFW-----> MIA or FLL '

Perhaps in terms of straight line distances.  But that's not what "Direct" means, no matter how you want to corrupt the terms of art in the airline industry.

Another flight out of Seattle to Palm Springs was SEA to SLC to LAX to PSP. If I take Alaska out it will fly me Non Stop to PSP.  If a flight has to go to LAX to get me home it might as well stop in Palm Springs. LOL

LOL??  Perhaps you would do better to use NetJets - they will fly you on whatever routing you want.  Might cost a bit more.

So, for the benefit of the other folks reading, a short definition course:

NONSTOP:  Means there are no stops between point A and B.  Single flight number (not talking codeshares) and single segment.

DIRECT:  Means there is no change of flight number between A and B.  However, there may be unlimited stops AND there may be unlimited changes of aircraft.   For example, Southwest flight 3107 on Saturdays goes from Greenville to Atlanta to Austin to New Orleans to Las Vegas to Orange County.  One flight number, five flight segments.  It is DIRECT from GSP to any of these airports and direct from any subsequent to GSP to any of the others.  And there is NO connection, since it is the same flight number.

CONNECTION:  Means there is a change of flight number.  This could be one or more.  It usually, but does not necessarily also mean a change of aircraft.  Connections are different than "Stopovers", as they have different definitions.  Connections need to be either within 4 hours (domestically) OR the first onward flight out, whichever is longer.  Stopovers are where the onward flight connection does NOT meet that time standard.  Stopovers frequently result in "breaking" the through fare into two parts, often resulting in higher pricing.

Hope that helps out with Airline Semantics 101.

Flyer Talker thank you for that explanation very helpful. We don't have Net Jets or SW in Palm Springs, they have talked to SW but no commitment yet. Someday we might see SW in here but not counting on it. Most used airlines here for all major stops are AA, United, Alaska,  Delta, Jet Blue, West Jet for Canada and commuter flights of course. 

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Flyer Talker thank you for that explanation very helpful. We don't have Net Jets or SW in Palm Springs, they have talked to SW but no commitment yet. Someday we might see SW in here but not counting on it. Most used airlines here for all major stops are AA, United, Alaska,  Delta, Jet Blue, West Jet for Canada and commuter flights of course. 

The Net Jets comment was in jest from the poster. Net Jets is a private airline service that you buy a membership into, which allows the member to fly private and choose their own route and departure day/times.

Right about the possible change of plane ("change of gauge") with the same flight number.  I've only had that once - slc-jfk-bcn and it was all the same flight #.  Moved from a 757 (I think) to a 767.

The person flying to/from PSP should look and see if flying from ONT offers anything better.  

Oh, I would love to see a SW plane at PSP!!! (SW is the code for Air Namibia!!!) 😉   At least it would be used to flying in a desert...

I am only 1 hr from Ontario Calif and I am better going out of PSP. It isn't the getting over to SJ it is there terrible return times, all in th AM from 2 on. Unless we spend 1 night post cruise but don't want to do that. Right now our best return time without the $$ jumping out of sight is 2:06 AM. after the cruise The problem for the daughter returning to DEN is that flight back only gives her 45 min between flights. This is all on United. I could take a 12:06 flight back to PSP on Jet blue but don't care for the reviews I am reading on cancelled or late flights. 

Presently I am looking at the 5:06 SJ arrival with the 2:06 AM return back to Palm Springs. Other option to SJ arrival is the 1:22 PM flight

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I am only 1 hr from Ontario Calif and I am better going out of PSP. It isn't the getting over to SJ it is there terrible return times, all in th AM from 2 on. Unless we spend 1 night post cruise but don't want to do that. Right now our best return time without the $$ jumping out of sight is 2:06 AM. after the cruise The problem for the daughter returning to DEN is that flight back only gives her 45 min between flights. This is all on United. I could take a 12:06 flight back to PSP on Jet blue but don't care for the reviews I am reading on cancelled or late flights. 

Presently I am looking at the 5:06 SJ arrival with the 2:06 AM return back to Palm Springs. Other option to SJ arrival is the 1:22 PM flight

What about out of SNA or LGB or, the dreaded LAX?   When I lived in Southern California, I looked at all these possibilities for flights.  Now, when I go to PSP to visit friends, I have the dreaded PSP to either SFO or LAX to/from my home airport, taking 6 hours for a trip that used to be 51 minutes when there was nonstop service to/from my home airport..  Sometimes, renting a car and driving to PSP from SNA and LGB is a better alternative.  

LAX is totally out. I have checked them besides what I might save in airline cost is taken up by a shuttle to LAX 2.5 hrs away or overnight hotel stay so for the convenience of flying out of my own airport and returning it is much better. The flight to SJ is very different then my going to any other port. I don't know why they can offer flights out around 11 AM to 2 PM. Just about every flight returning to Calif starts at 2 AM which means an all day stay in San Juan post cruise. I am a 2 hr plus drive to LAX, John Wayne or Long Beach. As i said, getting to San Juan isn't the problem it is finding decent returns without it adding over $100 to 200 to your flight.  Jet Blue is the only flight offering me a 12:06 PM departure to JFK then Non stop to Palm Springs for under $600 round trip but leery of their record of delayed or cancelled flights. Where do you live now. 

On 12/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Desert Cruizers said:

LAX is totally out. I have checked them besides what I might save in airline cost is taken up by a shuttle to LAX 2.5 hrs away or overnight hotel stay so for the convenience of flying out of my own airport and returning it is much better. The flight to SJ is very different then my going to any other port. I don't know why they can offer flights out around 11 AM to 2 PM. Just about every flight returning to Calif starts at 2 AM which means an all day stay in San Juan post cruise. I am a 2 hr plus drive to LAX, John Wayne or Long Beach. As i said, getting to San Juan isn't the problem it is finding decent returns without it adding over $100 to 200 to your flight.  Jet Blue is the only flight offering me a 12:06 PM departure to JFK then Non stop to Palm Springs for under $600 round trip but leery of their record of delayed or cancelled flights. Where do you live now. 

Sorry that the scheduling from any other airport doesn't make sense financially.  I still avoid LAX when I travel to So. CA unless it is necessary.  Did it this past June when I was going to the Hollywood Bowl to hear Andrea Bocelli. Was staying on the Westside, to LAX was the logical choice.  Otherwise, I'll do LGB or SNA for my trips to So. CA.  The closest airport I live by now is SLC.   It is a Delta fortress hub.   There are few Jet Blue flights.  WN is an airline I won't touch with a 10 foot pole (too many issues with them in the past).  AA did me horribly on flights I did to Europe, so I won't use them unless it is the only alternative.  United has a small presence only.  So, I use Delta 99% of the time.  Down to SJU it was SLC-ATL-SJU and return was SJU-JFK-SLC.   I don't mind long connections as I get claustrophobic and like the time in the airport between being crammed in those tubes.  The Sky Club at JFK T4 is an enjoyable place to spend a few hours for me.  

Edited by slidergirl