RC Changed Itinerary on 12/17 for sailing 12/23!

tifosiv122

This is my second RC cruise - we did one two weeks ago - we planned private tours ($8,000) and now I get this:

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We are looking forward to having you onboard for your Empress of the Seas December 23rd, 2018 vacation. Before we set sail, we have an update to share with you.

As a result of a recent glitch, our systems and website displayed that we’d be in Havana, Cuba on Wednesday, December 26th, until 5:30 PM, when we were actually set to sail on the same day, but at 5:30 AM. We never like to disappoint our guests, so we quickly evaluated all options to provide you with the best itinerary possible that would maximize your time in our marquee port. So, we checked with our local partners in Havana, and as a result of being a very popular destination, we were advised there was no availability to extend our stay to the published time. The good news is that we were able to confirm an earlier arrival into Havana, giving us additional time there. Now, you’ll have extra time to explore this magical city. Consequently, we’ll be unable to visit CocoCay, Bahamas, and you’ll have an additional hour to explore everything George Town, Grand Cayman has to offer. We are terribly sorry for this last minute change and any inconvenience.

As a gesture of goodwill, you’ll receive the following refundable onboard credit to help make up for this change.

• $100 USD for Interiors, $150 USD for Ocean Views, and $200 USD for Suites
  • Plus, an additional $25 USD for each third or more guest

This per stateroom credit will be added to your onboard account. And, if your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will be refunded to your credit card on file. For your convenience, our updated itinerary is outlined below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Tender/Dock

Sun

Miami, Florida

4:00 PM

D

Mon

Havana, Cuba

7:00 PM

D

Tue

Havana, Cuba

D

Wed

Havana, Cuba

1:00 AM

D

Thu

Cienfuegos, Cuba

7:00 AM

5:00 PM

T

Fri

Cruising

T

Sat

George Town, Grand Cayman

4:30 PM

D

Sun

Cruising

D

Mon

Miami, Florida

D

Now that we’ll be in Havana for two nights, you’ll get to feel the heartbeat of this city when you visit Tropicana Cabaret, a Las Vegas-style show that highlights Cuban and Caribbean folklore!

Lastly, any pre-paid shore excursions scheduled for CocoCay and for Havana on December 26th will be refunded to your original form of payment. All other affected pre-paid excursions for Havana and Cienfuegos will automatically be rescheduled for you. Within the next 2 business days, you’ll receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your updated excursion details. Then, be sure to book new excursions for your extra time in Havana and George Town via our Cruise Planner at http://*****/RCCruisePlanner. Please know, if you choose to rebook the same excursion and see a different price, we will honor your original price. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at 1-880-256-6649.

We thank you for your understanding and can’t wait to welcome you onboard Empress of the Seas.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

Director of Guest Service

Royal Caribbean International

Royal Caribbean

The phone number (880-256-6649) is invalid - it's 800. This is an absolute joke! I called regarding a refund - they claim they will issue us back the "taxes" paid but nothing else. Now I have to convince the tour to change their itinerary when it was not their fault at all. Why does this garbage cruise line have such a good reputation??? You know what you are getting with Carnival, but RC came out of nowhere to be such a terrible operator. Don't get me started on the last RC cruise either...

Thanks for letting me vent.

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Royal is not responsible for private excursions. However, most will work with you and generally refund your expenses. 

I get that - but they gutted the 26th! The 25th is Christmas - everything is closed. What a joke!

Unfortunstely things like this do happen.  Reputable tour operators that rely on the cruise lines have good policies regarding the ships changing dates or times  and will accommodate you or refund your money.  Those are things that you should be looking for in booking private excursions or make sure that you have insurance to cover these changes. 

Yes, I realize that Royal screwed up however it could just have easily been weather that prevented you from making a port call and you’d be in the same predicament.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, I realize that Royal screwed up however it could just have easily been weather that prevented you from making a port call and you’d be in the same predicament.

I would totally understand that. We lost one full day in Havana and missed a day that isn't Christmas. Due to a "technical glitch"? 

2 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

$8,000

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Maybe your excursions were a tad over priced.

Safe travels

It's 8 of us...the private tours are the way to go - see what you want, not what you don't. It's all relative to be honest - 

Cruise critics without the app is a little difficult but I had to log in to say 

8000$ woowww

cant Think of anything you can do in Cuba in less than 48 hrs to cost that much but I guess it’s possible lol. Cubans r smart lol

5 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

8000$ woowww

cant Think of anything you can do in Cuba in less than 48 hrs to cost that much but I guess it’s possible lol. Cubans r smart lol

Originally it was 3 days - two in Havana, one in Cienfuegos - so for 3 days, 8 people, private cars, english speaking tour guides - not being stuck with other tourists...worth it. Unfortunately now we are only in Havana one day - 7PM the night before doesn't count - and leaving at 1AM the next day gives us one full day in Havana - completely killing the experience and the tour. I can't even complain to the tour guide - it's not their fault. 

Royal just offered me a great deal - a full refund on my taxes if I don't go...lol. Joke.

5 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

8000$ woowww

Originally it was 3 days - two in Havana, one in Cienfuegos - so for 3 days, 8 people, private cars, english speaking tour guides - not being stuck with other tourists...worth it. Unfortunately now we are only in Havana one day - 7PM the night before doesn't count - and leaving at 1AM the next day gives us one full day in Havana - completely killing the experience and the tour. I can't even complain to the tour guide - it's not their fault. 

Royal just offered me a great deal - a full refund on my taxes if I don't go...lol. Joke.

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Looks like current cruise on Empress having itinerary changes too. 

953A852E-C3AD-434D-8A2A-BBF9BE4F229C.png

Nobody controls weather - I've missed ports, and I have no right to complain. They do the best they can. A "glitch" is another story....

36 minutes ago, tifosiv122 said:

I recently booked private excursions for (4) people for these same ports.  I spent no where near $1000 per person.  I didn't book the most expensive excursions but I couldn't have spent $1k/pp if I tried … not even thru the high priced RCCL excursions.  Please share what you booked.

Definitely contact the tour operator directly.  Most are really great at handling changes due to the ship's schedule due to any reason and will work with you.  The best advertisement they have is word of mouth right here on Cruise Critic so it is in their best interest to do so.

3 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

There is nothing in Cuba closed just because it happens to be Christmas. It is not Christmas in Cuba

Unfortunately that isn't true - 3 of the places we were supposed to see on the 26th is closed on the 25th.

48 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

There is nothing in Cuba closed just because it happens to be Christmas. It is not Christmas in Cuba

Of course it's Christmas in Cuba.  Why did you say that?

1 hour ago, tifosiv122 said:

I booked through "Cuba Handling". They deal with Private Jet landings - which is how I was introduced to them. Originally I was going to fly my Jet direct to Cuba, but it's a PITA with regulations, so a cruise to it was easier.

The plot thickens...RC knew about the change for months - it's an issue with CocoCay and building a waterpark and new dock. This is not an "itinerary change" but outright fraud. I will be discussing if my firm will be handling the class action lawsuit against RC or we will use an outside firm. 

I didn’t see Coco Cay on your itinerary. Maybe it was before the change. Trying to wrap myself around what effect Coco Cay a Perfect Day construction has to do with your cruise?  Maybe you can elaborate. 

Here is the original Itinerary.

Sun Dec 23, 2018

MIAMI, FLORIDA

4:00 PM

Mon Dec 24, 2018

COCOCAY (CRUISELINE PRIVATE ISLAND)

3:00 PM

Tue Dec 25, 2018

HAVANA, CUBA

12:00 PM

Wed Dec 26, 2018

HAVANA, CUBA

5:30 PM

Thu Dec 27, 2018

AT SEA

Fri Dec 28, 2018

CIENFUEGOS, CUBA

5:00 PM

Sat Dec 29, 2018

GEORGE TOWN, GRAND CAYMAN

3:30 PM

Sun Dec 30, 2018

AT SEA

Mon Dec 31, 2018

MIAMI, FLORIDA

Essentially they took away CocoCay and took a day away from Havana. Originally the itinerary said 5:30 AM leaving on the 26th - that's another mistake that was "corrected". The mistakes keep piling on.

My grandfather grew up in Cuba (he is half Cuban, half Canadian), and though he would receive gifts on December 25th, most Cuban children received theirs on the day of the three kings, so January 6th. So perhaps Cuban still exchange gifts on January 6th and don’t do much on the 25th. It appears that Christmas is a national holiday and not Epiphany.

50 minutes ago, gnr25 said:

My grandfather grew up in Cuba (he is half Cuban, half Canadian), and though he would receive gifts on December 25th, most Cuban children received theirs on the day of the three kings, so January 6th. So perhaps Cuban still exchange gifts on January 6th and don’t do much on the 25th. It appears that Christmas is a national holiday and not Epiphany.

yeah January 6th is our Christmas, December 25th has no meaning in Cuba at all