So, was the 2018 Rhine / Danube cruise season successful?

Bake apple

Despite the extremely low river levels with hardly enough water to float a boat, was it still a good year? I've been reviewing the feedback and it ranges from five star and exceeded expectations to endless coach trips and tears. The lure of beautiful scenery, charming towns and villages, culture and regional foods and wines will have us all back again next season I am sure even if the risk of floods or droughts cause us to pause a bit. The cruise lines reacted to the 2018 situation, according to CC comments,  in myriad ways, some great and some not so much. What do you think looking back on the season? As always, safe travels everyone and seasons greetings.

I feel for those who had disappointing trips and had their lifetime river cruise turn into a bus trip. Obviously some had their trips drastically changed, cancelled and turned upside down.

Personally - I absolutely loved my Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets Danube cruise. We were mildly affected but it wasn't a big deal. We couldn't go to Bratislava so we had a short bus ride there. We also were bused to Regensburg. Again - it didn't affect my enjoyment of the day.

I thought Crystal did an amazing job and was pleased with the Mozart, with the crew onboard the ship and the food. I wouldn't hesitate to go on this same sailing again.

For the cruise lines, this probably was their most difficult season.

Edited by Coral

I think that you have to decide what "success" means. I suspect that it was a costly season for the cruise lines with increased expenses due to hotel bills, bus expenses, refunds and future cruise credits, etc. The low water may have also discouraged people from booking future cruises.

From the cruisers' viewpoint, I think that there was a lot of disappointment. As we've seen on the boards, cruisers' experiences and reactions varied depending on how the particular line handled the low water, and how prepared the cruisers were for the situation and how "forgiving" they were.

I think that it has to be described as a disappointing fall season.

13 minutes ago, FuelScience said:

I think that you have to decide what "success" means. I suspect that it was a costly season for the cruise lines with increased expenses due to hotel bills, bus expenses, refunds and future cruise credits, etc. The low water may have also discouraged people from booking future cruises.

From the cruisers' viewpoint, I think that there was a lot of disappointment. As we've seen on the boards, cruisers' experiences and reactions varied depending on how the particular line handled the low water, and how prepared the cruisers were for the situation and how "forgiving" they were.

I think that it has to be described as a disappointing fall season.

Great summation - I agree. Although we were enjoyed our Danube cruise this season, there were many who were extremely disappointed or downright angry with their cruise line.

I was lucky enough to be able to sail all of the way from Vienna to Nuremberg. So, my trip was an absolute success. 

Plan B - making my way from Vienna to Nuremberg via train - would also have allowed me to see and experience the towns along the way. But it would have been a very different experience.

We had a great time visiting the markets along the Danube.  Tho we didn’t do our planned Avalon river cruise we took full advantage of our travels, as we had booked our own air we flew into Prague and out of Budapest and visited many towns and cities in between.  We’d have enjoyed being on the cruise, but with the revised itinerary and so many ifs regarding water levels and bus trips, we decided this particular river cruise wasn’t for us.  

Many thanks to Avalon Waterways for their understanding and we appreciate the fact we were able to cancel a week prior to departure.  I know Avalon and all companies were overwhelmed with the itinerary changes due to the drought along the Danube and Rhine that affected so many travelers.  Hoping for much better travel conditions in 2019.

Just back from the Viking Villi Dec 14-21 Budapest to Passau. We were only the second ship in the past months to make it all the way through. The cruise director said it has been very stressful to the crew as well as the passengers. Would have been disappointed if we had to do the bus thing. So grateful we didn't.

Overall I think it has been. Each cruise company's balance sheet will differ at the end of this year, though. It may be disastrous for some, but breaking point I doubt for anyone. After all, many cruisers have already paid for next year's offerings. A small number of passengers will not return for a second cruise I should think. Some could well change the company after experiencing first-hand strategies in communication, ways of working around the situation, future payment policies, conduct as regards refunds, etc. Others will stay with the company. New prospective cruisers will have been alerted to mishaps they would not have been aware of before - although it is in the small print - after all, conditions on the rivers might or might not affect your particular cruise. This year it has affected many more than is the norm. With marketing running and running without cease and companies seemingly still churning out more ships to meet demand (at the same time generating it of course) the overall market will continue its momentum. But 2019 could see more awareness of river cruise passengers showing in the bookings, perhaps travel agents will hear more questions asked about river conditions at certain times of the year for the individual rivers of Europe and beyond.

For the small ships shorter than 110m I would like to point out that the season has seen little impact and will have been more or less as successful as any other I should think. The 110m ships have seen some impact - on the Danube I am guessing more than on the Rhine. Mostly hit by the unusual conditions has been the large ship four-star and luxury segment of river cruising. Which is something to be aware of and remember for coming years.

Awareness has been better this year as regards the nature of river cruising and consumer rights where communication with the cruise companies is concerned has been addressed both here and in the media. Payment and refund policies have been looked at. For those reasons for me personally this season has been successful. It lets me hope for an even better product seeing it from a consumer's perspective, for 2019.

For the basic product of river cruising it has not been a great year and many cruisers will look back on this year with disappointment on what they have experienced. And I fully understand that. For me, river cruising is a great way to travel. I do hope that the disappointed cruisers will not be put off by their experience and give another river, another company, a try.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Not sure of the definition of success.  For cruisers, each will make their own decision.  Our Danube cruise was fine and Viking took good care of us.  However, there is only one first impression.  Although we may river cruise in 2020 I don't think it is something we will do every year.

Well said all. We were so darn lucky in that our river cruise at the end of May started in Amsterdam and ended in Budapest without a hitch. No boat swaps, no long bus rides and no gliches so for us it was really great. We were thankful. Then of course the low water issues began and I for one felt so very bad for both passengers and crews!! I amongst many many others certainly kept up to date on the events via Notamermaid's posts and those of passengers on the rivers.

Beginning about a week ago my email has been flooded with more than the usual offers, for cruises during 2019 at reduced rates and with free air, from Scenic, AMA, and Viking so guess they are all attempting to encourage bookings right now. We are going to risk it again because for us it is great way to see what we want to see although we do tag on our own travel plans before and after. I will however be investigating a much more comprehensive travel insurance plan for the 'just in case' situations. Given the reviews on CC I think it will be $$ well spent. Happy Holidays all and safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed (pre cruise 3 days Prague) Budapest to Amsterdam in the first two weeks of September 2018 with Travelmarvel.   Our trip was most enjoyable, the only reflection of the low water levels was a ship swap between Aschach and Nuremburg, involving a very well-handled 3 hour bus trip in a comfortable coach.  Unlike many, our ship made it to Budapest to begin the cruise, and we managed to scrape through the Rhine Gorge, another bonus.  

For us, it was a success.  But I feel for others travelling around the same time as us who suffered more disruptions.  

• 1 month later...

We were due to go on a 12 day Berlin, Lower Rhine & Swiss Explorer trip in August 2018 by Emerald, which was cancelled 2 - 3 days prior to our departure.  It was disappointing, but Emerald/Scenic handled our cancellation in a fair manner.  We had an option for a full refund or re-booking for 2019 which we did.  We were upgraded from an aquarium class cabin to a french balcony & given extended beverage package.  They also refunded us our airline seat selection fee.  We subsequently went on a 30 day cruise with Holland America around Australia.

Crossing our fingers for our late July 2019 Rhine River trip.