Move Over Offer

pandora518

Just now, TracieABD said:

In January of 2015, my mom and I had a 10 RT trip cruise out of Singapore planned. We were in a balcony and booked it for pretty cheap.

The day before flying out, we received the following offer- which we refer to as the Mac-daddy of all move-overs:

We give up our balcony cabin for 10 days.

We get:

one 15 day cruise anywhere in the world, in a full suite. AND

one 10 day cruise anywhere in the US, Mex, Carib, or Canada in a full suite

100% of the cruise fare in refundable OBC (we spent almost nothing and received a check about 6 weeks after we got home).

An extra $500 in OBC as a thank you.

Change airplane fees.

and an extra dinner in a specialty restaurant.

If my memory serves me, the original cruise cost us about $2500 combined.

We took a 10 Caribbean on the Royal in a Penthouse Suite- that would have been about $8K.

We took a British Isles cruise for 12 days- that would have been about $14K.

We considered it a deal of a lifetime. 

I also just got a move-over this past summer on a Baltic’s cruise. I was traveling alone in an inside. My friend was traveling alone in a balcony. We linked our reservation for dining purposes. We each received move-overs that were get your cruise fare back on refundable OBC and take the same cruise in the same cabin type later. We both turned them down.

Then we received an offer to share a full suite on the same cruise and get about half of our fare back in refundable OBC. We took that offer.

Urban legend has it, if you take a move-over offer- you are more likely to get another. If you take an upsell, you are more likely to get another. Willingness factors into the selection algorithm. So I have heard...

I have gotten an upsell offer on over 75% of every cruise I have been on. I have accepted most- mostly because they are mini’s to full suites.

YMMV

Now that’s an offer and a half.

13 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

In January of 2015, my mom and I had a 10 RT trip cruise out of Singapore planned. We were in a balcony and booked it for pretty cheap.

The day before flying out, we received the following offer- which we refer to as the Mac-daddy of all move-overs:

We get:

100% of the cruise fare in refundable OBC (we spent almost nothing and received a check about 6 weeks after we got home).

Change airplane fees.

We took a 10 Caribbean on the Royal in a Penthouse Suite- that would have been about $8K.

I also just got a move-over this past summer on a Baltic’s cruise. I was traveling alone in an inside. My friend was traveling alone in a balcony. We linked our reservation for dining purposes. We each received move-overs that were get your cruise fare back on refundable OBC and take the same cruise in the same cabin type later. We both turned them down.

Then we received an offer to share a full suite on the same cruise and get about half of our fare back in refundable OBC. We took that offer.

Urban legend has it, if you take a move-over offer- you are more likely to get another. If you take an upsell, you are more likely to get another. Willingness factors into the selection algorithm. So I have heard...

I have gotten an upsell offer on over 75% of every cruise I have been on. I have accepted most- mostly because they are mini’s to full suites.

YMMV

YOU are living right!! 

15 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

We get:

Change airplane fees.

YMMV

WOW . . . just wow. I"m in awe 🙂

The best and the worst part of the whole deal is that when we took the move over, my mom was in rapidly declining health.

We were able to complete the first cruise in January of 2015. The second cruise was in June and July of 2015. Fifteen days after we came home from the BI cruise, she passed away. That cruise was the last best time that she had. I am so grateful that she died doing what she loved.

Ultimately, both of the cruises we took were far easier on her than the Singapore cruise would have been. It is 33 hours to SIN for us. It is 1 and half hours to FLL and 9 hours to London. The move-over offer may have actually prolonged her life a bit.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TracieABD said:

We get:

Change airplane fees.

YMMV

Every single time I see a post about a move-over offer, I think of you and your mom. What an awesome memory.

We just took a move over -- not quite the McDaddy described above -- what an offer!

The email offered a "move over" but it was really a "move down":

- same cruise, leaving in 5 days

- move from a balcony to an obstructed ocean view

- get our full fare back in refundable OBC

we'd been thinking we'd like to try an OV or an inside …. over the years have spoiled ourselves with balconies and mini's …. but cost on a  longer cruise would really add up.   This seemed like our golden opportunity, so we jumped on it!     Luckily, the email came in while I was sitting at my computer & my husband was home, so we were able to quickly discuss it; called the number within 5 minutes.    Got a call back in an hour, I think they only had a handful of cabins available for this offer.

I'm hoping it's true that taking a move-over once makes it more likely you'll get offered another 🙂

Mary

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

We just took a move over -- not quite the McDaddy described above -- what an offer!

we'd been thinking we'd like to try an OV or an inside …. over the years have spoiled ourselves with balconies and mini's …. but cost on a  longer cruise would really add up.   This seemed like our golden opportunity, so we jumped on it!     Luckily, the email came in while I was sitting at my computer & my husband was home, so we were able to quickly discuss it; called the number within 5 minutes.    Got a call back in an hour, I think they only had a handful of cabins available for this offer.

I'm hoping it's true that taking a move-over once makes it more likely you'll get offered another 🙂

Mary

congrats, Mary! And good luck with future offers. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 3:49 PM, TracieABD said:

We get:

Change airplane fees.

YMMV

yea, I would totally take that offer in a heartbeat... 

Just received an offer for our Mexico cruise next week. (didnt take it)

Full refund in the form of refundable OBC for downgrading from Balcony to an obstructed Oceanview. 

• Like 1

I doubt I would even wait to ask my wife if it meant a delay. I think she would feel the same. A totally free cruise with the cost of the previous cruise as refundable OBC? A total no-brainer. Heck, we'd even jump on the move-down offer. The Mac-daddy above is something we wold definitely jump on without hesitation if the other person wasn't available.

Just now, Thrak said:

I doubt I would even wait to ask my wife if it meant a delay. I think she would feel the same. A totally free cruise with the cost of the previous cruise as refundable OBC? A total no-brainer. Heck, we'd even jump on the move-down offer. The Mac-daddy above is something we wold definitely jump on without hesitation if the other person wasn't available.

While I’ve never had an offer, over or down, me and Mrs Gut discuss each cruise what to do if it’s an over, if it’s a down we’d take it, if it was like most we have heard about. But as I now need an accessible cabin I guess it’s unlikely we’ll get one.

19 hours ago, NukeIT said:

yea, I would totally take that offer in a heartbeat... 

Just received an offer for our Mexico cruise next week. (didnt take it)

Full refund in the form of refundable OBC for downgrading from Balcony to an obstructed Oceanview. 

I would take that deal, especially if it was for the same cruise.

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Hey Thrak-

Some deals are just too good to pass up!

I happened to be checking other emails when the move over offer came up as a new email...

by reading on CC, I had learned how important it was to 'immediately respond' to get in line for the callback, so I called, left the message ... then talked to my wife who was in the shower or something. I explained we got a 'move over' offer and she stated oh, did we get a balcony now? uh, no honey, let me explain what we really got ...

took the offer, of course, when called back ... went from a 5 day to a 7 day leaving a week later...:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

by reading on CC, I had learned how important it was to 'immediately respond' to get in line for the callback

congrats on the great deal - and thanks for the advice (which I hadn't realized, being relatively new to all this)

On 12/28/2018 at 6:18 PM, leck57 said:

Wow what an offer. I have a 12 day Asian cruise booked for Feb and I might sit by the phone!! Mind you I doubt that my TA passes these offers on which is one reason I might start booking direct.

If you TA is not sharing, find another TA :)

5 minutes ago, leck57 said:

How would you ever know that your TA is not sharing.

Good question but the poster said leck57 believed this was happening. I guess if I didn't trust my TA In would find another. I still believe there are too many benefits to having a TA to not use one.

1 minute ago, Gretchendz said:

Good question but the poster said leck57 believed this was happening. I guess if I didn't trust my TA In would find another. I still believe there are too many benefits to having a TA to not use one.

I have asked my TA whether he passes on upgrade offers etc and he said he does but I would never know. Overall he gives good service and, like you, I believe in the benefits of using a TA.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Mary loves to travel said:

Mary

I wonder if they wouldn't have gotten enough people to take the move DOWN offers, would they have changed to trying to get people to accept move OVER offers??

1 minute ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Good question!

on this cruise, another person on our rollcall said they called one hour after getting the email and Princess said they already had enough takers.  

I did call within a few minutes of getting the email.  It was just pure luck I was using my computer when the email arrived.  DH and I had a few questions but after talking with the rep we didn't hesitate.  I imagine how quickly they go depends upon how many cabins they have to move as well as how many people accept.  

I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses, as I was unaware there were so many different types of move offers and that the terms vary so much.  We're delighted with what we were offered and are probably going to do a longer Asia cruise next year, as we already have a cruise booked to Norway in October ("Searching for the Northern Lights.")  

• Like 3