Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

3 hours ago, sc4125 said:

Maybe even trying to give helpful advise to someone who may not have thought of getting a sandwich from the deli to put in the fridge for later.

I appreciate the helpful advice, but now there will be more people in line to get the sandwiches for later.  And more people getting pizza later.  And you know Carnival will not take the people that were making/delivering room service and use them the help in these other places and they will not need as many for room service, so they will be cutting employees.  So, slower service and more lines.  Yay!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Johnnie Rockets also used to be free on RCI.  I agree with Tapi when he said its only a matter of time for Guys.  

Johnny Rockets is a franchised specialty restaurant with a varied menu, waiter service and limited capacity, I would kind of expect it to have a fee, RC does offer a included burger option in the Windjammer.

Guy's and Blue Iguana are basically the replacement of the poolside grills and are two of the main lunch options on most ships, it would be like making the pizzeria or the deli a pay option and would be the last straw for many. Now, I could see something like Cucina del Capitano or Jiji's  no longer be free for lunch...    

52 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

CHOOSING to pay $4 or $5 for room service.

I wont be complaining about it,  I just wont be ordering room service.   But, the $4 or $5  for room service is not it.  It is per item.  Lets see, for my cabin, it would be 3 BLTS and 3 Chocolate milks.  $4 + $4 + $4 + $2 + $2 + $2 + tip for a quick snack.  So, at least $20.  We would normally do this 2 or 3 times on a 7 day cruise.

And yes, there is someone in the cabin that is disabled, and may not be able to make it to the Lido.  So, i can go and get it.  Wait, they took away the trays...   So, i can carry 3 plates, and the milks.  No problem.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Ducman said:

I wont be complaining about it,  I just wont be ordering room service.   But, the $4 or $5  for room service is not it.  It is per item.  Lets see, for my cabin, it would be 3 BLTS and 3 Chocolate milks.  $4 + $4 + $4 + $2 + $2 + $2 + tip for a quick snack.  So, at least $20.  We would normally do this 2 or 3 times on a 7 day cruise.

And yes, there is someone in the cabin that is disabled, and may not be able to make it to the Lido.  So, i can go and get it.  Wait, they took away the trays...   So, i can carry 3 plates, and the milks.  No problem.

You guys "snack" like that 3 times a day everyday? No wonder this bothers you. You could go broke! Try getting milk in the morning and keeping it in a cooler. No way would I pay $2 for milk.

We order a little something nightly, so this change for us happened a year ago. Doesn't bother me a we don't use it during the day. 

58 minutes ago, Ducman said:

I honestly do understand the disappointment and if they took away something that I depended on, I too would be disappointed.  I've been on more than 20 CCL cruises, and I did occasionally ordered room service late at night.  Since they have been charging for room service after 10 p.m. I have gotten use to grabbing a Deli sandwich during their slow times in the afternoon and putting it in the fridge (I really like their tuna) along with a few cookies or deserts from the Lido dinner to enjoy as a late night snack.  As for the Pizza, I've never been there late at night when it wasn't super crowded, but I don't mind hanging out if I'm really in the mood for pizza. 

As far as them doing away with trays - one way to get around that is to order the free continental breakfast and keep the tray - I've done that a few times and never had any staff member questioning my use of the tray in the Lido.

14 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

As for the Pizza, I've never been there late at night when it wasn't super crowded

and they are only using half the ovens, seems par for the course.

good thing i need to watch my weight.

Room service fees now seem to be standard across the industry.  Have heard rumor that some line may consider making all MDR an additional charge and only the buffet will be free.

Still cruising is fairly cheap compared to other vacation options

I agree with previous comments, not surprised they are making this change since other lines have done so - but I also would have preferred a set fee rather than per item, and yes - you can bet that if I order a $4 grilled cheese and it's not piping hot, it's going back and I expect a replacement quickly, and if that's not hot, it's going back, etc.  and if the delivery person brings the first one cold, they wouldn't be getting a tip - that's not only the kitchen, that's the server.  If they food isn't the way it was ordered, the server should refuse to deliver it until it's correct.  No lukewarm 'hot' food.  I don't particularly care for their pizza, and for late nights that and room service are often the only options. 

I'm on the Sunshine in 3 weeks, and this change doesn't make me happy.  It isn't going to do a thing for trays and food in the hallways - that's staffing.  If they don't want trays & food left in the hallways, they should have a number you can call when you're finishd your meal to have someone come back and collect the service items so they don't sit in the hallways.  Really easy.

People aren't going to eat less because of this.  They aren't going to order less because of this.  They may bring it back from other places, but they're still going to bring it back to their rooms.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, schazzy said:

Johnny Rockets is a franchised specialty restaurant with a varied menu, waiter service and limited capacity, I would kind of expect it to have a fee, RC does offer a included burger option in the Windjammer.

Guy's and Blue Iguana are basically the replacement of the poolside grills and are two of the main lunch options on most ships, it would be like making the pizzeria or the deli a pay option and would be the last straw for many. Now, I could see something like Cucina del Capitano or Jiji's  no longer be free for lunch...    

I applaud your optimism and I hope you are right.  Unfortunately, the trend in mass market cruise lines is saying otherwise.  As long as Guy's has a name brand attached to it, I don't think it is safe at all from future cover charge considerations.  

14 minutes ago, Jdfireman said:

THANK YOU this will make room service wait less. Especially when you come back from a port and most of LIDO food is CLOSED.. Can't wait for my next trip to try it out

In my experience on another lines, the addition of the charge has made no difference to delivery times.  

On 12/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, GROUCHPUSS said:

Carnival to charge for all room service!

Starting mid January.

image.png.79d0af2e588b36ccdfb065d958bec0b3.png

I knew it was only a matter of time that Carnival would start charging for room service. RCCL and NCL both started charging a $7.95 service charge quite awhile ago. The difference between that charge and what Carnival is going to do, is you could order unlimited amount of food for that $7.95, and Carnival is charging ala carte for everything. It’s a good thing I never use room service, other than the occasional continental breakfast, which is still free. But since we retired, and now only book inside cabins, there’s no point in even ordering that, as there’s no place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee. We just go upon deck now.

Here is my problem with it Carnival sold a lot of cruises advertising the free room service.  All of those people are not getting what they were promised as part of there cruise fair.   It really is that simple.   Even after they announced it the web site showed free room service yesterday.  They took that down sometime between yesterday and today.

Now once you get past that are they going to be giving a better quality room service now that they are charging per item?   Because I know I expect more if I am paying for something than if I am not.   

• Like 8

4 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I've cruised on Carnival and many other lines for 20 years.  While it used to be true that the room service trays were picked up frequently by Carnival service personnel, I haven't found that to be true for several years.  Trays are left out for hours now.  Haven't noticed that so much on other lines, but perhaps it happens.

My biggest complaint with Carnival's room service is the mediocre food that is offered. Dry, skimpy sandwiches. Hot items served lukewarm. If other cruise lines can deliver a cheeseburger and fries piping hot with all of the requested condiments, why can't Carnival?  Oh wait, Carnival doesn't offer a cheeseburger.  Why not?  I'm glad to see the addition of an omelet on the menu, but with fries?  No bacon or sausage?  I've always found the new and improved room service offerings a bit bizarre, but that is just me.  We get coffee in the morning and an occasional room service order when returning from port.  The cost for a sandwich or two won't blow our budget, but we are finding ourselves cruising on Carnival less and less.  All of these changes remove what I always liked the most about Carnival, they offered a great "value".  A good product (not superior) that included many things that other lines charge for either as extras or in an increased cruise fare.  With Carnival's cutbacks and increased cruise pricing, I'm not seeing the value anymore.

I wonder how many more lines and increased wait times there will be on lido at the deli, pizza counter and other venues?  I'm pretty sure they won't add personnel to help with the increase in demand.  I guess I'll find out when we cruise on the Breeze next month.  Ironically, it's a John Heald Blogger's cruise.

Dawn  

On 12/31/2018 at 4:48 PM, 2Shoes2Go said:

Less waste and trays in the hallway. We seldom use RS, but happy coffee and danish are still available.

I think there will be more plates and dishes left in the hallways. People will carry it to there rooms for later.

I plan on bring a a coffee pot that will keep it hot on my next cruise now! I will go fill it up and take it to my cabin.

• Like 1

Believe me on the JH bloggers cruise there will be additional staff and other extras to appease all the cheerleaders of JH and there won't be any shortages etc of anything.   Any cruise he is on as extra perks for his fans.  The red carpet will be out.  It's a sad situation that was once a very good cruiseline has turned into  somewhat of a disaster.  We were sad to leave but found two other cruiselines that offer the same amenities at a much lesser price plus a clientele that is much different.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin308 said:

Here is my problem with it Carnival sold a lot of cruises advertising the free room service.  All of those people are not getting what they were promised as part of there cruise fair.   It really is that simple.   Even after they announced it the web site showed free room service yesterday.  They took that down sometime between yesterday and today.

This is exactly my objection to this...not the charge...but the fact that they rolled it with no regard to those that saw this a benefit or included value in their cruise. In 9 months time, since me and 9 other cabins worth of people in my family booked,  they've raised gratuities, but gave time to pre-pay, raised the price of the bubbles, there was at least one day in there where you could still lock in the old rate, now they take something that was free and start charging for it. That should have been 75 days out from the announcement...that way if people had a problem they could cancel their cruise and book something else.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ljslight said:

I think there will be more plates and dishes left in the hallways. People will carry it to there rooms for later.

I plan on bring a a coffee pot that will keep it hot on my next cruise now! I will go fill it up and take it to my cabin.

That's my plan as well.  The room fridge will hold a lot of half and half.

23 minutes ago, ljslight said:

I agree, just compare the replies on this thread like yours planning to bring their own flatware and china with foods from lido to the cabin versus those saying " Oh goody, I can't wait to order a plethora of items through room service and to be charged a king's ransom for the privilege." 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I agree, just compare the replies on this thread like yours planning to bring their own flatware and china with foods from lido to the cabin versus those saying " Oh goody, I can't wait to order a plethora of items through room service and to be charged a king's ransom for the privilege." 

LOL.  You're right.  My mess in the corridor will be the same, but the tip money that used to go to the runner will still be in my pocket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1