Dolphin Swim

JaniceB

I really need some help figuring out which port hasΒ the best dolphin swim/encounter so we can pick the rest of our shore excursions.Β Β Β We are going to Ochos Rio, Grand Caymen and Cozumel in May on the Horizon.

We swam with the dolphins at Chankaanab in Cozumel. It was something we will always remember and Chankaanab is beautiful. We booked through the website and received a special that was 50% off each person. They run different specials if you have time to check back. Pictures are terribly expensive, so be prepared for that.Β 

• Thanks 1

We swam with dolphins, petted stingrays,Β and went to the turtle farm (located across the street) in Grand Cayman. Β I highly recommend it. Β Pricey, but something we will never forget. Β Sadly, I can’t remember how we booked it, but, IΒ suspect, that we just jumped in a cab and walked up and bought the package ourselves.

Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

I really need some help figuring out which port hasΒ the best dolphin swim/encounter so we can pick the rest of our shore excursions.Β Β Β We are going to Ochos Rio, Grand Caymen and Cozumel in May on the Horizon.

Please pick tours that only allow the dolphins to be in open water and come to you - not trapped in 'cages'!

Β 

Maybe do the stingray tour in GC since they are open ocean tours and the stingrays come to you VOLUNTARILY?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I did a lot of research on the facilities. I had swam at Discovery Cove and felt they treated the animals right. As i looked at some of the options on our Southern carribean cruise I just couldn't do it after i learned about their sub-par procedures. Granted i am a huge animal lover and rescuer so I am more in tune to that sort of that but just thought I'd put that out there for you.

Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the comments.Β  I will not swim with sting Ray's even before the one pierced the heart of the Australian guy.Β  My sister experienced a sting ray tail and spent 10 days in the hospital.Β Β 

Are there any open water swims in the ports I am going to?Β Β 

51 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

I appreciate the comments.Β  I will not swim with sting Ray's even before the one pierced the heart of the Australian guy.Β  My sister experienced a sting ray tail and spent 10 days in the hospital.Β Β 

Probably none that can guarantee it, since the dolphins would be free to come and go. We did an open water dolphin boat tour in New Zealand but ultimately didn't get to swim with them because we could not find the right type of pod (there are protected species, sizes, etc. that you can and cannot swim with). We did end up finding seals that we got to hop in with and that was still a treat!

17 hours ago, JaniceB said:

Interesting and sounds like a fantastic memory.

Β 

This doesn't help on this cruise, I was not able to locate any tour operators on a quick Google search. Perhaps you could table that 'bucket list' item for a future cruise to the Bahamas? My Google search came across UNEXSO in Freeport that apparently offers open ocean dolphin swims. I can't speak to this company at all, I haven't used them and only came across their information while searching online but thought maybe it'd be helpful to you.Β 

Edited by NovCruisin

On 1/4/2019 at 11:32 AM, NovCruisin said:

Please pick tours that only allow the dolphins to be in open water and come to you - not trapped in 'cages'!

Β 

Maybe do the stingray tour in GC since they are open ocean tours and the stingrays come to you VOLUNTARILY?

Absolutely.Β  Sting Ray City is a pretty awesome experience.Β  I didn't "pet" the stingrays but it was pretty cool seeing them up close.Β 

• Like 1

Chankaanab in Cozumel is the best dolphin swim out of the stops you are doing.

I would recommend ... BOOK it THROUGH SHOREEXCURSIONEER and book the Royal swim.

Β 

First, the park is 10 MINUTES from the pier and cost $10 each way for a cab!Β  You don't have to worry about not making it back to the ship on time, etc.Β  In addition, you get EVERYTHING the ship offers on the excursion (entrance admission to the rest of the park, lunch, etc), minus transportation.Β  When we booked it 3 years ago it was $60 PP CHEAPER.Β  And the ship groups were 12 to 16 people in each swim.Β  There were 5 of us BY OURSELVES (This = more in water dolphin time).Β  AND we got to go into the Manatee tank after the dolphin swim and feed the manatees.Β  That was not included in the ship excursion!

Β 

The pictures are EXPENSIVE.Β  We paid for the CD for the 3 of us @ $210 which included ALL the photos taken (about 100).Β  Otherwise, it was like $30 for 1 picture and like $50 for 2.

Thanks, I booked the Chankaanab in Cozumel the VIP royal swim and a few of us got the photo package. I did it directly with them. I did a dolphin swim in 2005 in the BVIs and got a picture so I don't care about the photo.Β  I know how easy it is to get a taxi in Cozumel so figured it was our best place.Β  Thanks auscgguysgirl.Β  Do you have any recommendations for the other 2 ports that aren't a dophin swim.

I know you’ve already ruled it out but sting ray city in grand cayman is an awesome experience. Thousands of people visit there a day without getting stung. It’s really not an issue if you can get past your fears and you’ll never forget it.

I have swam with Dolphins in captivity (Porto Vallarta) and in the wild (several places but the best was Coffin Bay) and both were wonderful experiences. In Captivity they do more with you but then they are trained and need to perform with people to get food/ rewards. While being treated well as far as I could see and them living in various large pools with tidal inflow, they are still captive.

16 hours ago, JaniceB said:

Thanks, I booked the Chankaanab in Cozumel the VIP royal swim and a few of us got the photo package. I did it directly with them.Β  Thanks auscgguysgirl.Β  Do you have any recommendations for the other 2 ports that aren't a dophin swim.

Β 

You will love it!Β  You're welcome!Β  I haven't been to Ochos Rios yet, so I cannot speak for that port.Β  Grand Cayman was our last stop on our 8 day and we were pretty exhausted from cave tubing, water fall jumping/hiking, dolphin swim, ziplining, etc.Β  Our itinerary was a little different.Β  So our stop in Grand Cayman we just had a driver take us to the flea market and around the island to look around and walk on the beaches away from the crowds.Β  We came back and sat at Margaritaville (I collect glasses) and I will say they have the strongest (but best tasting) Margarita's I've ever had in my life!!!Β  That was a lazy day stop for us.Β  Sorry, I couldn't be more help on that.

Β 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, leeno382 said:

Captivity kills... open water tours are the best way to do this. Please dont fund these big companies.Β 

Β 

Chankaanab Park in Cozumel is not like that.Β  I did a lot of research before I booked our swim.Β  That particular park is also a rehab facility.Β  The dolphins they have in captivity cannot be released back to the wild and they do a LOT of conservation work.

Β 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, JaniceB said:

Β 

Not that I am aware of.Β  I've had friends do them around the Keys, but we have not done one there.Β  I will say that we just came off the Splendor from Long Beach to Hawaii 12/01 through 12/14.Β  We did a wild dolphin swim on Kona, Hawaii.Β  It took me 6 mos to talk my DH into doing it.Β  But it was one of the best excursions I think we've ever done!Β  And it wasn't really "open ocean" like you would think.Β  We were about 300 yards from the shore, 80 feet deep water so clear you could see to the ocean floor.Β  We had about 150+ dolphin swimming around us in circles for about 3 hours while we just snorkled in the water watching them.Β  They swam all around us, under us.Β  It was quite an amazing experience.Β  This was taken w/ our GoPro while snorkling.

Β 

12.28.18 291.JPG

• Like 1

The best experience is to find a place where dolphins choose to swim with people - not the other way around. Β Happened to me twice on Sanibel - standing in waist deep water and got circled several times by two or three curious ones - obviously checking us out. I know it has happened to several others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auscgguysgirl said:

Chankaanab Park in Cozumel is not like that.Β  I did a lot of research before I booked our swim.Β  That particular park is also a rehab facilityο»Ώ.Β  The dolphins they haveο»Ώ in captivity cannot be released back to thο»Ώe wild and they do a LOT of coο»Ώnserο»Ώvation ο»Ώwork.

Β 

In my opinion all parks are the same... sea world even says its a rehab facility and we all know what a load of rubbish that is!Β  As mentioned if you seen how these dolphins were caught you would be disgusted in yourself for being one of the sheep...Β 

Β 

They should all be shut down imho... i dont believe they cannot be re-released into the wild too 😏

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leeno382 said:

Β 

In my opinion all parks are the same... sea world even says its a rehab facility and we all know what a load of rubbish that is!Β  As mentioned if you seen how these dolphins were caught you would be disgusted in yourself for being one of the sheep...Β 

Β 

They should all be shut down imho... i dont believe they cannot be re-released into the wild too 😏

Β 

I don't think this of Sea World.Β  I am also a licensed wildlife rehabber in the state of NC ... so, I kinda know what to look for.Β 

Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The best experience is to find a place where dolphins choose to swim with people - not the other way around. Β Happened to me twice on Sanibel - standing in waist deep water and got circled several times by two or three curious ones - obviously checking us out. I know it has happened to several others.

Agreed, that was what made Coffin Bay so special.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, auscgguysgirl said:

Β 

You will love it!Β  You're welcome!Β  I haven't been to Ochos Rios yet, so I cannot speak for that port.Β  Grand Cayman was our last stop on our 8 day and we were pretty exhausted from cave tubing, water fall jumping/hiking, dolphin swim, ziplining, etc.Β  Our itinerary was a little different.Β  So our stop in Grand Cayman we just had a driver take us to the flea market and around the island to look around and walk on the beaches away from the crowds.Β  We came back and sat at Margaritaville (I collect glasses) and I will say they have the strongest (but best tasting) Margarita's I've ever had in my life!!!Β  That was a lazy day stop for us.Β  Sorry, I couldn't be more help on that.

Β 

Β 

Chankaanab Park in Cozumel is not like that.Β  I did a lot of research before I booked our swim.Β  That particular park is also a rehab facility.Β  The dolphins they have in captivity cannot be released back to the wild and they do a LOT of conservation work.

Β 

Β 

Not that I am aware of.Β  I've had friends do them around the Keys, but we have not done one there.Β  I will say that we just came off the Splendor from Long Beach to Hawaii 12/01 through 12/14.Β  We did a wild dolphin swim on Kona, Hawaii.Β  It took me 6 mos to talk my DH into doing it.Β  But it was one of the best excursions I think we've ever done!Β  And it wasn't really "open ocean" like you would think.Β  We were about 300 yards from the shore, 80 feet deep water so clear you could see to the ocean floor.Β  We had about 150+ dolphin swimming around us in circles for about 3 hours while we just snorkled in the water watching them.Β  They swam all around us, under us.Β  It was quite an amazing experience.Β  This was taken w/ our GoPro while snorkling.

Β 

12.28.18 291.JPG

Β Wow, that looks amazing.

• 3 weeks later...