Combating the Chair Hogs

Phaedrus78

When it comes to sea days and chairs, I move around every hour.  I don't think being next to the pool is so great all day long given that too much sun is bad.  I like to take a dip and move on.  

Ships should have cubes for quick storage for a say 1/2 hr.  

Also some ships put towels out on chairs in the morning for guests like say the solariums, and then folks think they are taken.

In the end I also find that if I eat a later dinner say 7:30, I can have a nice time at the pool around 4pm as folks are leaving to get ready for dinner.  only thing is the pool water is full of lotion and warmed up.  Next best thing is to be out on deck at 7:30 for the cooler fresher water in the am.

If I have to get up from a chair, I ALWAYS tell a person nearby that I will be right back.

We were on the Jade southern Caribbean in Oct & on our last sea day arrived at the pool at 1030am & all the seats were "taken".  After sitting on the edge of the pool for 2 1/2 hrs my husband pointed out that no one has been in the 5 seats behind us all day.

He went to hang up at the Pit Stop & I called the deck hand over & explained that no one has been sitting in the chairs.  He took all the towels away & I took a chair & let all my new pool friends know & everyone was happy.  

At 445pm I have a rude lady standing over me yelling that those were her chairs & where was her towels blah blah blah. I just pointed to the towel hut & she marched off cursing me the whole way.  Best part of the whole thing is she was alone & all dressed up for dinner!!

On 1/10/2019 at 4:04 AM, thistimeplease said:

I agree with you.  Last cruise dh and I got our chairs by the pool about 8 am next to a couple with a baby.  The mom went to change the baby and the dad went to get coffee.  They were gone about 10 minutes when people came over and started to remove all their items. My dh explained that they just left and the people didn't want to hear it, needless to say there was a confrontation when the mom and baby came back.  Attendants came and made the new people give the chairs back to mom, dad and baby.  After that we were too afraid to leave our spot as we didn't want anything like that to happen to us. 

I make friends with the people on either side and we watch each others stuff/chairs. I usually instigate it by saying something like "we'll make sure nobody tries to run up on your stuff" and they always reciprocate. On the topic of finding a seat, I've never had trouble getting a seat in any area that I need to as long as I get to the Lido deck by about 8:30 or 9. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:58 AM, 2Beeze said:

At this point I assume that I am the most beloved cruiser in the world, or should be, since in all the cruises that I have ever taken I have *never* used a single lounge chair on a cruise ship! 😬

Lynn

nope me neither

I really don't have a huge problem with they guy reserving the chairs that clean1owner outed.  So what if the family uses them within an hour (or longer if that is when the sun actually comes out).      For a lot of people the prime spot is near the pool / band so I give them credit if they reserve early and beat the rush.  For me, I don't have any problem if people reserve early 7:00am +/- and the chair sits vacant until the prime time.  However, If people don't use the chairs during the prime time then it seems reasonable to  speak with an attendant after an hour or so.    There are always lot of places for chair but maybe not at the pool side.  For me, I prefer to be away from the loud music and have always found a spot.  

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a chair hog but I no longer attempt to save those prime seats by the pool.

I sailed the Escape (smallest pool area I've ever seen) in July and on a sea day I typically went to the gym at 6am, took a shower after and then either went to the deck (17) overlooking the pool area or deck 19 (right outside of Vibe). I brought towels and my backpack and would save chairs for my family of 5. I would leave (for under an hour) and go to the Waterfront and have coffee by the 5 oclock Somewhere bar and watch the ocean. I'd then go back to my chairs and relax, hit the whirlpool and wait for my girls to wake up and find me and then we'd leave again for breakfast.

And this is how we operate on most cruises. We'd leave for meals, go to Spice H2O and other things but would save our chairs with our stuff. It was sometimes more than an hour but nobody (I don't think) really cared so much as we weren't right by the pool in prime real estate territory.

BTW, when I went to the gym at 6am on the Escape, I'd walk right across the pool deck and there would be towels and stuff already on some chairs. That's some real dedication. Lmao

Also, I mentioned deck 19 right outside Vibe on the Escape and it's a great place to hang out on a sea day. There's a bar, whirlpools and a misting machine for cooling off. It's quiet with great views of the ocean and it only takes a minute to walk down to the pool.

3 hours ago, Fartlek said:

So what if the family uses them within an hour (or longer if that is when the sun actually comes out). 

If "more than an hour", the family is violating NCL policy. If NCL moved those items after 1 hour, the family would rightfully lose those chairs.

3 hours ago, Fartlek said:

For me, I don't have any problem if people reserve early 7:00am +/- and the chair sits vacant until the prime time. 

For some, prime time is after lunch. Those people are clearly wrong if they "reserve" a chair and don't return for several hours.

43 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If "more than an hour", the family is violating NCL policy. If NCL moved those items after 1 hour, the family would rightfully lose those chairs.

For some, prime time is after lunch. Those people are clearly wrong if they "reserve" a chair and don't return for several hours.

If you consider prime time after lunch and someone reserves it for several hours, I agree that is a problem.   For me, if you are going to be enjoying the prime locations at the "start" of prime time and one of the first to actually be enjoying the location then I have no problem with people that place a towel much earlier.  If you have the desire to reserve early and be the first to enjoy the spot then good on you.  I haven't seen NCL remove a towel that was placed early in the morning so I think they use some common sense.  During prime time is a different story.   Just my thoughts .

On 1/13/2019 at 3:02 PM, OceanBlueWaters said:

Chair Hogs are obnoxious and they will never go away.  Just like the same rude people who make us bleed at the buffet!

That must be a typo, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the poster might have meant to write.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, erdoran said:

But the "chair hog police" can be just as bad.  I had the NERVE to get up from my poolside chair to get in the pool; 10 mins later someone took over my chair and told me "you aren't using your chair".  Ummm.....I'm at the pool, I got in the pool.....

Or went to the buffet to bring lunch BACK to my chair and had to fight off the chair police....

Or was (horrors) holding chairs for two family members, got told "you can't save chairs" and the police took over - five minutes later here come my family members.  I stupidly gave up my chair to them for doing such a bad job saving chairs.... (and these were on an upper deck, there was nothing remotely close to the pool)

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of chair hogs either, but there is a difference between a towel sitting on a chair all day, and someone legitimately using a chair who gets up for 10 or so mins to get food, go to the bathroom, use the pool, etc, etc.  At least be selective about taking over someone else's spot!

If you're actually there you're not really a chair hog.  It's unrealistic to assume every chair not being occupied has been sitting empty for hours and hours.  I think you can usually tell if someone's in the pool.  The towel looks lived in, a drink might be on the ground under the chair.  

I remove towels, paperbacks, that are holding chairs that are obviously unused for hours.  I do it in resorts as well since it's not exclusive to cruise ships.  I either shrug my shoulders and get back to my novel or tell a fib and say nothing was on this chair when I occupied it. 

We used to go to a really cute little hotel in Treasure Island Florida and there was this elderly German couple who would always hog the two best chairs near the pool.  They'd get up at 5:30 to put their stuff on them but wouldn't appear until 2 pm. They would get really upset if their stuff had been moved.  They'd complain to the owners who would be sympathetic but wouldn't do anything either.

23 hours ago, JoeTec said:

We were on the Jade southern Caribbean in Oct & on our last sea day arrived at the pool at 1030am & all the seats were "taken".  After sitting on the edge of the pool for 2 1/2 hrs my husband pointed out that no one has been in the 5 seats behind us all day.

He went to hang up at the Pit Stop & I called the deck hand over & explained that no one has been sitting in the chairs.  He took all the towels away & I took a chair & let all my new pool friends know & everyone was happy.  

At 445pm I have a rude lady standing over me yelling that those were her chairs & where was her towels blah blah blah. I just pointed to the towel hut & she marched off cursing me the whole way.  Best part of the whole thing is she was alone & all dressed up for dinner!!

Good for you!  I'd like to buy you a drink.

I hate to stereotype people but that guy in the photo looks like a poster child chair hog. Not sure what it is about him but I could pick him out of a line up.  He is dealing out towels like dealing out cards. "This is how we do it"

42 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Good for you!  I'd like to buy you a drink.

I hate to stereotype people but that guy in the photo looks like a poster child chair hog. Not sure what it is about him but I could pick him out of a line up.  He is dealing out towels like dealing out cards. "This is how we do it"

Maybe under instruction.

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.5062ba1f027546f15bddd692cda21d8e.JPG.c585aa24c1dcb522ec0339ef62dd9358.JPG

• Like 1