Too many ports?

Feathercrest

We are going on the Dawn in a few weeks: 9 ports, 10 days: we just will not get off at every port. I enjoy the thought of seeing land every day or so rather than days of nothing but water, water. everywhere. By having the option of staying on ship or doing a tour we are getting the best of both worlds. Staying on ship while 80% of the passengers are touring is a dream. You can find a place to sit by the pool, you can get a drink without waiting in line. You have peace and quiet for awhile. There was a time when we would never think of staying on the ship, but those days left a few years ago. 

• Like 2

My dad who is 82 and has some mobility issues, really loves days at sea best.  Although you can stay on the ship, it's not the same as a day at sea with as much happening.  My brother and his girlfriend who love to dive, are in the camp the more ports together.  We love having the whole gang cruise together more than anything, though, so will go with whatever.  Our next cruise is the Getaway with two days at sea and four port stops.  One though is that semi private island. Havest Caye, which mostly sound like a big pool stop.

22 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

One though is that semi private island. Havest Caye, which mostly sound like a big pool stop.

It does. We typically don't get off the ship on private island days, but Harvest Caye looks tempting, just to get out and see it. The pool looks insane! We will be there in early February.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Feathercrest said:

Looking at itineraries...so many short port stops...would enjoy more  at sea days to relax and enjoy the big ships.

I agree with you that many cruises have too few sea days.

We normally stays onboard at least one of the port days but that is not the same thing as a sea day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kathy884 said:

My dad who is 82 and has some mobility issues, really loves days at sea best.  Although you can stay on the ship, it's not the same as a day at sea with as much happening.  My brother and his girlfriend who love to dive, are in the camp the more ports together.  We love having the whole gang cruise together more than anything, though, so will go with whatever.  Our next cruise is the Getaway with two days at sea and four port stops.  One though is that semi private island. Havest Caye, which mostly sound like a big pool stop.

We do not get off at Harvest Caye, but from talking to some friends and family members who have, they say it is really worth it to visit. As for your dad and mobility issues; my hubby is exactly your dad's age We still prefer the port days and staying on the ship. we love the relaxation yes, but we also enjoy being able to find places near the pool to enjoy. That is almost impossible when we are at sea. 

• Like 1

I’ve been to Harvest Caye twice in the past couple months. Super clean and safe. Long pier but we all could use the exercise I’d imagine. Carts available for mobility impaired. Sand is kinda course, not silky smooth and white but kinda grey/gravelly. Water was warm. Strange drop off and thick loose sand at waters edge is a fall risk. Snorkeling folks were finding star fish. Huge pool. Neat zip line that’s fun to watch, Going back in February. 

54 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Port days are great, leaves me with a mostly empty ship.

Leaving in 15 days, Breakaway, 11 day cruise, we will only get off briefly in Cozumel to replinish low prescriptions.  NO WORRY BE HAPPY, MON.  Also have UBP!!!

55 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

Leaving in 15 days, Breakaway, 11 day cruise, we will only get off briefly in Cozumel to replinish low prescriptions.  NO WORRY BE HAPPY, MON.  Also have UBP!!!

Good spot for that...

6 hours ago, kathy884 said:

Our next cruise is the Getaway with two days at sea and four port stops.  One though is that semi private island. Havest Caye, which mostly sound like a big pool stop.

we did this one 3 weeks ago. We liked it. Nothing to do but sit on the beach in Harvest Key and look at the aviary/butterfly house behind the beach. The beach itself was underwhelming, compared to FL panhandle beaches.

We do not get off at Harvest Caye, but from talking to some friends and family members who have, they say it is really worth it to visit.

not really worth it.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy