Hot tub question

cruisecrazypat

They are held at a high chlorine level at all times, but if you watch them, you will notice that some people spend hours sitting in them drinking. What goes in has to come out, so use them at your own risk.

We avoid hot tubs at resorts and on cruise ships.

IMHO, they are Petrie dishes full of germs.

If you have recently been undergoing chemo treatments,a hot tub may not be a good experience for you,especially if your immune system has been compromised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Just put a few drops of Urine-indicator dye, and watch the embarrassing faces...

Urine-indicator dye is a substance which is supposed to be able to react with urine to form a coloured cloud in a swimming pool or hot tub, thus indicating the location of people who are urinating while they are in the water.[1] A 2015 report from the National Swimming Pool Foundation called this "the most common pool myth of all time", with nearly half of Americans surveyed by researchers believing that the dye existed.[2]

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cruisecrazypat said:

Are the hot tubs emptied nightly or chlorinated?

Recent chemo.....

Curious as we are sailing with a recent cancer patient too. Not sure she will do the hot tubs, but bring plenty of Clorox® Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfecting Cleaner Spray - 1 QT.- Kills Norovirus in 1 min.2 of Saalfeld 30824 Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, Kills Norovirus, Rotavirus, HIV, Poly-bag Protected, 6.75" x 9", X-Large Wipe (Pack of 95)Clorox Hand Sanitizer, Spray, 16.9 Ounces (02176). I purchased a ton, Norovirus is popular this time of year

I believe that the hot tubs are easily filled with fresh ships water and treated -

the pools however are filled with sea water and treated.

The massive amount of water to fill a pool would put a dent in the available fresh potable water on the ship.

Where possible the cruise lines load water from local port sources to save the expense of making fresh water

while underway.

That being noted ships can make fresh water while underway but at an expense of burning more fuel.

the pools are too cold for us to use. 🙂

I agree that the term "Hot Tub" is an absolute misnomer but they are pleasantly warm.  I swim twice a day in an outdoor (free) thermally heated pool with a temperature of 30 degrees in summer and 33 degrees in winter. 

We also have a Hot Pool in the complex that is 4 degrees higher.

Mike

58 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I believe that the hot tubs are easily filled with fresh ships water and treated -

the pools however are filled with sea water and treated.

The massive amount of water to fill a pool would put a dent in the available fresh potable water on the ship.

Where possible the cruise lines load water from local port sources to save the expense of making fresh water

while underway.

That being noted ships can make fresh water while underway but at an expense of burning more fuel.

I've spent years maintaining and sanitizing NCL hot tubs, and while I know they are sanitized, the mere thought of sitting shoulder to shoulder in a bathtub with straingers creeps me out.  Never used one, never will.

Now, again, about making water.  Ships will only load water in port when the itinerary does not allow enough time to make the water at sea.  Water from the ports costs money, port of Miami charges $2.95/ton, and when you figure a cruise ship uses up to 2500 tons/day that figure can add up, as well as there not being enough time in a port stay to load all the water.  When a ship is using a flash evaporator (the most common desalinating system), there is no additional fuel burned, and little to no cost, as the primary source of energy (heat) is from the cooling water of the diesel engines, and if not used for the evaporator, this energy is wasted by warming the sea water.  Even using RO watermakers costs less than port water.  Plus, water made onboard can be used immediately, while water bunkered in port must be segregated, and not used, until a coliform bacteria test is completed, which requires 18-24 hours.

• Thanks 1

We don't use public hot tubs, either. We'd love to, really, but the thought of cooking in the sweat, pee and dead skin cells of strangers does not generate the feelings we want from a hot tub. I trust no hotel, cruise line, etc., to properly manage these things. You can't force people to take a hot shower before and not pee in the hot tub.