Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

NCL New Years Resolution: to NOT stop the nickel and dime

I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the price of the beverage package another $10.00 per day and maybe even increase the "gratuities" as well. They have already increase the Bliss week pass for the go karts from $99 to $199, steak prices increase in the steak restaurant. That's crazy.

Edited by Georgie562

45 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

The thing is, are they going to announce this formally and publicly at some point (or did I miss a memo)?  I mean, we only know because someone was on a cruise and found out, and was gracious enough to let us all know here. If NCL is doing this fleetwide, which they certainly appear to be, they should at least own it.  At this point it looks like they are not only nickel and diming everyone (again) but also trying to be incredibly sneaky and underhanded about it.

As I said on a prior post, I contacted NCL and while they kept assuring me that they valued my opinion, blah, blah, what they most wanted to know was where I got my information? I directed them to this board and told them that people were not agreeing with this new dollar grabbing plan. When I am onboard in 2 weeks I plan to talk to the beverage director and lodge a formal complaint. Maybe if lots of repeat cruisers do that they may walk it back.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 300dtc said:

As I said on a prior post, I contacted NCL and while they kept assuring me that they valued my opinion, blah, blah, what they most wanted to know was where I got my information? I directed them to this board and told them that people were not agreeing with this new dollar grabbing plan. When I am onboard in 2 weeks I plan to talk to the beverage director and lodge a formal complaint. Maybe if lots of repeat cruisers do that they may walk it back.

I'll contact NCL prior to cruise and voice my displeasure over this. It really is ridiculous. When I booked in November, it was based off of different perks and info. Not happy!

I apologize but I am having difficulty following what the impact will be to my DW and me on our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. We both have the UBP which cost $249.20 for our 7 day cruise based on a perceived retail price of $99 per day X 2 x 18% in our case. We both generally drink Grey Goose.

If I understand it properly we can keep the UBP but there is an upgrade charge of $19.95 per drink. This assumes NCL has Grey Goose on board.

I guess the alternative is to upgrade to the Premium package. I can't figure whether it is $128 per day or the difference of $128-$99 in our case. 

I have already spoken to NCL and was informed that we could cancel the "free" UBP perk.

Thanks,

Jay 

7 minutes ago, Trobrah said:

I apologize but I am having difficulty following what the impact will be to my DW and me on our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. We both have the UBP which cost $249.20 for our 7 day cruise based on a perceived retail price of $99 per day X 2 x 18% in our case. We both generally drink Grey Goose.

If I understand it properly we can keep the UBP but there is an upgrade charge of $19.95 per drink. This assumes NCL has Grey Goose on board.

I guess the alternative is to upgrade to the Premium package. I can't figure whether it is $128 per day or the difference of $128-$99 in our case. 

I have already spoken to NCL and was informed that we could cancel the "free" UBP perk.

Thanks,

Jay 

Bottom line - due to the changes recently implemented by NCL and your family's propensity to prefer Grey Goose the additional cost to you to maintain the ability to request Grey Goose will now cost you and additional $487.20  over the course of your seven day cruise.

$29 per person per day x 20% gratuity x 7 days x 2 people = $487.20

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trobrah said:

Thanks,

Jay 

So you can pay the $5 difference plus 20% tip to enjoy your Grey Goose per drink or pay $34.80 pp/pd (including 20% gratuity) and get it for free plus enjoy Coffee and bottled water.

19 minutes ago, Trobrah said:

Thanks,

Jay 

Grey Goose is now $19.95. Your UBP will still cover the first $15. Each time you order a grey goose, you'll be charged 4.95 + 20% grats. So that's $5.94. per drink. So, if grey goose is the only  brand you want with an up charge, you'd have to drink more than 10 a day to make getting the premium package worth it.   

Jay,

I'll give you info on how I currently understand things. In my case I'll use Woodford Reserve bourbon as my example in that it's price jumped up to $22.95. If I order my Manhattan with Woodford as i usually would, I would have to pay the difference in price from the $15 max on the UBP package including the now 20% gratuity. $7.95 + $1.59 (gratuity) = $9.54 for my drink. 

If you currently have the UBP,  you could "upgrade" to their new package for $29 per person per day plus 20% gratuity for what appears to be an almost truly unlimited package that will include fresh juices, energy drinks, specialty coffees etc... In my case for my upcoming cruise I could pay $29 + $5.80 (20%) = $34.80 per person per day. In my case $69.60 x 11 days = $765.60 for an 11 day cruise. This is in addition to the "beverage service charge" of $435.60 for the "FREE" perk for an "UNLIMITED" drink package that limits what you can drink and limits you to $15 drinks. 

I may have my figures and facts wrong so please feel free to correct.

This cruise will be the litmus test as to whether I continue to stick with NCL. 

Edited by Roadsofa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 300dtc said:

That’s exactly what people should. I plan on attending every CC event, Latitudes reception and Haven reception when on board to voice my discontent.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:02 AM, Falckon said:

This recent article explains NCL's attitude on pushing the pricing envelope.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/what-recession-this-cruise-line-is-still-packing-its-massive-ships-out-123002593.html 

"Executives lifted the top end of their full-year profit outlook several months ago. And they disclosed that ships were already 65% booked for 2019 at higher prices."

i have been looking at cruises for this year and next. the prices have gone up a whole lot, compared to 2018 prices.

1 hour ago, mwolever said:

I'll contact NCL prior to cruise and voice my displeasure over this. It really is ridiculous. When I booked in November, it was based off of different perks and info. Not happy!

Let me borrow a page from the Cruise Critic how-to on cruise price reductions...

If NCL would have lowered the price of the drinks, would you want to pay the new lower price, or would you insist on paying the higher price that was in effect when you booked in November??  😉

1 hour ago, mwolever said:

Let me borrow a page from the Cruise Critic how-to on cruise price reductions...

If NCL would have lowered the price of the drinks, would you want to pay the new lower price, or would you insist on paying the higher price that was in effect when you booked in November??  😉

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

SeaShark, Excellent Point!

2 hours ago, kfnesq said:

The thing is, are they going to announce this formally and publicly at some point (or did I miss a memo)?  I mean, we only know because someone was on a cruise and found out, and was gracious enough to let us all know here. If NCL is doing this fleetwide, which they certainly appear to be, they should at least own it.  At this point it looks like they are not only nickel and diming everyone (again) but also trying to be incredibly sneaky and underhanded about it.

If NCL even announces anything they will announce this new program as a positive. Like now you can upgrade your totally free drink package to also enjoy specialty coffees, fresh juices etc. 

I don’t expect them to announce anything. It’s not like the terms and conditions have changed on the UBP. It’s still drinks up to $15. Nowhere on their site does it list drink prices for anything or that it will include grey goose or whatever brand. 

I’m not saying I agree at all with this, the complete opposite. The value just doesn’t seem to be there anymore. The last cruise I went on the food and service received was at times way below standard. Now with this change even further reducing value on the drinks package the only way I’ll be booking another NCL cruise is if it’s dirt cheap.

I have the Escape booked in March, but that will be my last NCL cruise!  Just started pricing for next May 2020.  Thanks to other people on this thread, I looked into Celebrity for a seven day cruise to Alaska next May 2020.  All these cruises below leave from Seattle.  This is as close to comparing apples to apples as I can get.

May 27th Celebrity - Solstice - 7 day - $3903 for balcony (includes $150 OBC, classic drink pgk and Internet)

May 24th Celebrity - Eclipse - 7 day - $3914 for balcony (includes $150 OBC, classic drink pgk and Internet)

May 26th Carnival - Spirit - 7 day - $3593 for balcony (no perks)

May 30th NCL - Joy - 7 day - $5157 (includes drink pkg, spec. dining and shore excurisons)

May 25th NCL - Jewel - 7 day - $4614 (includes drink pkg, spec. dining and shore excurisons)

With a $1200 difference between NCL and Celebrity, I think Celebrity is the "new" way to go!  Heck I've been on the Breakaway three times in the last three years and scheduled for the Escape this March.  Not happy with the changes at all.  I only started cruising  NCL due to the great deal when comparing to other lines.  But recently, the prices are just not competitive with other lines.  I'm more loyal to my pocket book and getting a good deal than to any cruise line!

• Like 6

I'm been reading MSC as an option - I note a lot of uproar about beers being raised to $8.50 from $8, which is over the limit on one pkg.  And their "standard" drink pkg is only to $13 or $12, I forget which....but I don't know their drink pricing.

OTOH their yacht club suites are well-priced, depending on cruise.  I just wish their website was easier to navigate and search.  Really hard to search over a large date range and easily view cabin availability.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

It’s a moot point if your beverage is below the $15 threshold.

1 hour ago, Roadsofa said:

Jay,

I'll give you info on how I currently understand things. In my case I'll use Woodford Reserve bourbon as my example in that it's price jumped up to $22.95. If I order my Manhattan with Woodford as i usually would, I would have to pay the difference in price from the $15 max on the UBP package including the now 20% gratuity. $7.95 + $1.59 (gratuity) = $9.54 for my drink. 

If you currently have the UBP,  you could "upgrade" to their new package for $29 per person per day plus 20% gratuity for what appears to be an almost truly unlimited package that will include fresh juices, energy drinks, specialty coffees etc... In my case for my upcoming cruise I could pay $29 + $5.80 (20%) = $34.80 per person per day. In my case $69.60 x 11 days = $765.60 for an 11 day cruise. This is in addition to the "beverage service charge" of $435.60 for the "FREE" perk for an "UNLIMITED" drink package that limits what you can drink and limits you to $15 drinks. 

I may have my figures and facts wrong so please feel free to correct.

This cruise will be the litmus test as to whether I continue to stick with NCL. 

So, looking at these figures, the unlimited package will cost you $1201.20 for 11 days ($54.60 per person, per day including gratuity) on NCL with the FREE drink package with upgrade.

Carnival charges $61.25 per person, per day (including gratuity)  if you order in advance.  This has always included top shelf liquor up to $50 per drink, bottled water, spiked milkshakes, Gatorade, specialty coffee etc.

So there is a $6 advantage to going with NCL and getting the FREE perk, as opposed to going with Carnival and just purchasing Cheers!  So basically these marketing people are trying different ways to incite us to buy a cruise based on smoke and mirrors!  Most of us are able to do the simply math to figure this out.  

Smh, NCL, you might of gone too far this time to keep me!

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 8:49 AM, cheersforbeers said:

Before anyone decides to jump down my throat, I’m posting what I was just told about increase and additional pkgs.  This was not don’t wilily nilly, they had a test market on Sun and Sky, it went over on those cruises the decision was made to take fleet wide!  Not defending their decision or supporting the increase but trying to inform.  IMHO

13 minutes ago, JSN005 said:

Thanks JSN for posting the link, I posted the same info earlier without the links and it was met with the usual resistance

1 hour ago, linbobky said:

i have been looking at cruises for this year and next. the prices have gone up a whole lot, compared to 2018 prices.

I have been noticing the exact same thing!  I used to think NCL was such a great deal, not so much anymore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

NCL will not honor price drops after final payment. They should also not raise prices on the terms of perks advertised/offered at the time of booking after final payment. This would keep things fair for both the cruiser and NCL.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShowMeCruise said:

Bottom line - due to the changes recently implemented by NCL and your family's propensity to prefer Grey Goose the additional cost to you to maintain the ability to request Grey Goose will now cost you and additional $487.20  over the course of your seven day cruise.

$29 per person per day x 20% gratuity x 7 days x 2 people = $487.20

I do not agree with any of this new pricing gouge but I just do not get this obsession with Grey Goose. When it comes to the middle of the road vodkas they are almost identical.

I think folks think Grey Goose is high end well its not.

They took some of the whiskeys and bourbons I like out in 2016 even though they are not that expensive to buy which is very lame.

The only thing I think we all should be anoyed with is the changing on the fly pricing and the fact that how far will they go with making things top shelf for the extra charge/

If it ends up being the bar like on the Sky which I will not ever go on that will be the breaking point.

9 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I do not agree with any of this new pricing gouge but I just do not get this obsession with Grey Goose. When it comes to the middle of the road vodkas they are almost identical.

I think folks think Grey Goose is high end well its not.

They took some of the whiskeys and bourbons I like out in 2016 even though they are not that expensive to buy which is very lame.

The only thing I think we all should be anoyed with is the changing on the fly pricing and the fact that how far will they go with making things top shelf for the extra charge/

If it ends up being the bar like on the Sky which I will not ever go on that will be the breaking point.

If it stays just this way it doesn't affect me that I can see.  But that's IF...no guarantee, and that's what I don't like.  IF this is testing the waters for making everything other than low-end extra cost, that's a problem.

With the per-drink prices being as high as they are, those who want 2 or more drinks a day are well advised to take the UBP, but then what about folks where there are two adult couples in a cabin?  One couple has to pay full price for drinks or UBP, which is a massive ripoff IMHO.  

I still have a problem getting over my perception of bait & switch - I pay for one thing in good faith, and then what was included at the time I bought it is no longer included.  Not cool.

A nice analogy - years ago there was a company, Colorado Prime, who came to your home to sell you a freezer package.  You got so many packages of hamburger, so many steaks, etc.  Here's the kicker - NOT SOLD BY WEIGHT, sold by # of packages.  "How big is a package?" "it may vary depending on the cost of item".  So yes, if I bought 10 pkgs of hamburger I would get 10 pkgs - but one pkg could be a pound or an ounce or anything in-between.  No, I didn't buy and with those terms, anyone who bought would have been not very smart.  This appears similar, although not quite so egregious - "drinks $15 or under, but WE decide what is $15 and under".  

There was talk on MSC when they did a similar thing, had a price increase, folks IF they asked were grandfathered in - they would get the drinks for the price they were prior to price increase, but one person asked "so do I bring along my printout and every tie I order a drink I have to show it to the bartender, and they may have to call their manager to approve it, etc" - hard to implement.  BUT the grandfathering in is the absolute right thing to do, so those who bought before price increase, who took the time to see what's included, get what they paid for.  Someone else's suggestion of increasing the drink max to $18 would work, and it could be associated with the card.  Or, even better (but won't happen) is just give those of us who are affected by this the premium pkg for free - NEVER HAPPEN but would be nice, sigh....