Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

59 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Since you went there, your tone is unkind.

Most people on cruises do not overdrink even with the UBP.

People have every right to be upset about this unannounced price change, IMHO.

Please move on if the discussion upsets you.

Thank you.

Discussions don't upset me.   Unruly drinking does.  My last cruise it interrupted the muster drill.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YVRBassElectric said:

I am traveling in April DOS - 2 people drink alcohol, 2 do not - at $89 a day, I hesitated buying the drink package but thought since 3rd & 4th were free, the overall cost was ok. Now if either of the drinkers want high end alcohol I need to spend another $180 CAD per day?!?!? ($34 US is $45 CAD)

I cancelled our Jan 2020 cruise as the overall cost isn't reasonable, PCC was surprised that the new package had already been rolled out, his information was it was to be effective in March. Any comments about MSC Yacht club with a 16 month old?

Good for you - I just did likewise!

It's too late to voice my displeasure on our Feb 1, 2019 sailing so we'll settle for the included beverages and make the most of the trip despite our displeasure with the new policy.

I did however call and cancel our Feb 2020 booking for a two week sailing booked under the "old" UBP package.  The way I see it that sailing would now cost me an additional $974.40 to get back to the same beverage package choices that I had originally booked.

Fool me once NCL - shame on you.  Fool me twice - shame on me!

Edited by ShowMeCruise

9 minutes ago, ShowMeCruise said:

Good for you - I just did likewise!

It's too late to voice my displeasure on our Feb 1, 2019 sailing so we'll settle for the included beverages and make the most of the trip despite our displeasure with the new policy.

I did however call and cancel our Feb 2020 booking for a two week sailing booked under the "old" UBP package.  The way I see it that sailing would now cost me an additional $974.40 to get back to the same beverage package choices that I had originally booked.

Fool me once NCL - shame on you.  Fool me twice - shame on me!

2 hours ago, xakeridi said:

I find the number of people who make sure to tell you that they are Haven passengers and then proceed to be deeply unpleasant is pretty high.  So I'd be happier if that wasn't an option at all.

It’s weird how we all have different experiences isn’t it.

In all my time cruising I have never met a single person who has told me that they are Haven passengers.

• Like 2

My husband and I went on our first cruise last  year on celebrity and just got back from another one.  We are looking to another in late spring of this year and spring of next year.  I started looking at other cruise lines to try something new, but I can't find another line that can compare to their perks!  Norwegian says that you can get up to 5 perks included, but every time you choose one, the price jumps up!  Add all 5, and I'm way over what I'd spend on a similar itinerary on a newer refurbished ship on celebrity!  And now this drink package business??? I get up to $15 on celebrity and virtually everything is included! And I heard bottled water isn't included with the UBP? We don't have any children which is really the only advantage (seems like Norwegian has more for kids) so I just can't justify spending more and getting less.  It's too bad that Norwegian is getting less competitive and not more because I was really considering them until I saw this post. 

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Since Haven guests haven't received.......ANYTHING positive in the past 4 years, how about giving Haven/suite guests the PPBP as their promo and giving the UBP/UOB promo (with the option to upgrade) for the rest?

...Plus 20% added, naturally.

I agree, this would be good marketing.  And make it only if you book the Haven outright, not given if you bid to the Haven.  Hope NCL is listening.

• Like 2

Hmm...

How about boycotting the Race Track(s) which is an up charge.

How about boycotting Laser Tag (which is an up charge and condones weapons which is taboo to talk about...unless it is for profit).

How about boycotting bowling which is an up charge?

How about boycotting Arcades which is an up charge?

People boycotted Margaritaville a while ago.  Where are the Suits figuring that one out with the consistent dead space?  Another Hmm.  Oh wait... the new UBP will pay for lost real estate at Margaritaville!  Did I win?  Do I have a job at Corporate?  LOL!

Everyone has been paying these up charges with no looking back.  No wonder NCL is pushing it...

JMO 🙂

4 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Hmm...

How about boycotting the Race Track(s) which is an up charge.

How about boycotting Laser Tag (which is an up charge and condones weapons which is taboo to talk about...unless it is for profit).

How about boycotting bowling which is an up charge?

How about boycotting Arcades which is an up charge?

People boycotted Margaritaville a while ago.  Where are the Suits figuring that one out with the consistent dead space?  Another Hmm.  Oh wait... the new UBP will pay for lost real estate at Margaritaville!  Did I win?  Do I have a job at Corporate?  LOL!

Everyone has been paying these up charges with no looking back.  No wonder NCL is pushing it...

JMO 🙂

Not "Everyone."  I have never used the "bell & whistles" on my 17 cruises in less than 5 years. Furthermore, as a social drinker, I have never had the UBP. The "sail away rate" is the only way I go. I do sympathize with the drinkers who agonize over price increases on their favorite pastime.

2 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Not "Everyone."  I have never used the "bell & whistles" on my 17 cruises in less than 5 years. Furthermore, as a social drinker, I have never had the UBP. The "sail away rate" is the only way I go. I do sympathize with the drinkers who agonize over price increases on their favorite pastime.

Relax.  I would never pay extra for anything (other than Choir of Man which I did 🙂). Furthermore, your comments are well received.  Perhaps you should refrain from this topic if it does not pertain to you about UBP and price increase.  Just saying...

23 minutes ago, Meekofigaro said:

Jewel is February 13,2019. 

Hope that helps ! 

Thanks, good to know what to expect.  I definitely won't be purchasing the upgrade package for a 12 day cruise.  Looks like I'll be buying bottled water and maybe switching up my drink of choice to something slushy.  Note to self - pack some straws!  When did cruising become so difficult?

Edited by herdingdogmom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Since Haven guests haven't received.......ANYTHING positive in the past 4 years, how about giving Haven/suite guests the PPBP as their promo and giving the UBP/UOB promo (with the option to upgrade) for the rest?

...Plus 20% added, naturally.

Totally agree. This should absolutely be an optional perk for guests who book the Haven outright. If you win a bid, this perk shouldn't apply.

If I had the option,  I'd pay the extra $5.40 pp pd

No way I'm paying an extra 487.20$ for 2 for a week for two after the already inflated Haven prices. 

5 hours ago, c r u i s e said:

3 years ago we were doing a TransAtlantic from Houston (last sailing out of the then-new Houston cruise terminal) onboard the Jade.

The ship made a stop in Miami where Frank Del Rio and his entourage boarded for a couple of hours. As I 

was walking by the pool, I overheard Del Rio chew out the Hotel Director for "consistently failing to meet

targeted passenger bar revenue" .... I seem to remember those were his exact words!

WOW! :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, dh1drill said:

Well looks like my cruising with NCL is now over. Sooner or later the greed will catch up with the nickel and dime cruise line good bye NCL.  

I'm sure I believe you but .....talk is cheap and it's clear management will keep pushing the envelope until the numbers show a decline . Otherwise it's just talk .

As for me, NCL must be a minimum of 10 to 20 % cheaper than the competition due to their being " the nickel and dime cruise line " . Cruising with then involves paying for extra onboard costs. I will continue to book with them but only at a discount . Otherwise not .

NCL is not an airport so I don’t have to announce my departure but the next cruise will be my second and last. I have committed to friends and bought cruise next which I’m renaming to cruise last.

of course the issue isn’t the extra cost - it is changing the rules in the middle of the game 

last time gratuities were raised did not apply to us since we were already booked

this should be the same, we are being given something different than we paid for

NCL drink prices are beyond insane

• Like 3

Meh, I'm fine with the new prices. I tend to stick with the mixed drinks which are all still under the $15 limit. I've paid $2 in the past for a glass of dessert wine, and I'm fine still paying $2. Based on the photos it's easy to see which are included in the "free" UBP and which are not, so it's no surprise bill - just less choices I suppose.

5 hours ago, erdoran said:

Hey, I have a question.  One of the threads talked about a bar running out of the “included” vodka and just having the upcharge vodka.  All this upcharge talk is just for the shots, right?  So if I want a mixed drink on the menu for say $10.95, if I don’t specify a premium brand then it is $10.95 even if they run out of the house booze?

In my experience, none of the bars ran out of all "included" brands, but often were out of mulitple choices. If you are not particular to certain brand of Vodka, Rum, Tequilla, Gin, etc. you will have no problem.   If you order something on the menu that is under $15 you will have no issue. 

There are several cocktails listed, but many people call their own drink and acohol brand.  If you order a "call" drink, say Kettle One martini they will frequently tell you they are out of Kettle One and ask what your next choice is.  If you say Grey Goose, they will tell you the upcharge will be $5 or whatever.   If you just order a Vodka Matini, they will make it with their cheapest available Vodka and it will be included.  Same goes for Rum and Coke, Gin and tonic or anything else. 

You will not have to worry about them running out of the "rail" or "house" booze.  They will have plenty of that and are happy to pour that instead of something drinkable. The problem now, is that they have increased the price of certain "premium" brands so that any drink with those brands is over the limit, whereas before they were within the limit.  Nowhere else in the world does a single shot of Grey Goose cost $20.  It is all just a ploy to exlude certain brands from the package. In reality, the brands of vodka still included (Kettle One, Tito's, etc.) are not much cheaper to buy in the retail market. My guess is that over the next few months they will find out that people are going to the next most expensive brand and increase the prices on those brands also until the package only includes true "rail" booze. 

Right now instead of people ordering Grey Goose, they are all ordering Kettle One or Tito's.  This does not save NCL any money so eventually they will also be excluded.  The other possiblility is that they will only have a certain number of each brand available at the beginning of the cruise and they will run out mid cruise. 

• Like 1