Dragon’s Breath or Dragon's Fire Flight Line in Labadee & Timing for Excursions

rasmonkey

Hi all.  My family is cruising on the Harmony in less than a week.  It's my wife and I's 4th cruise (all RCCL) and our daughters' first ever cruise.  Thanks in advance for any input!

I've decided to be more adventurous than normal and take my daredevil 12 year old daughter on one of the crazy zip lines at Labadee.  There are two, Dragon’s Breath Flight Line and Dragon's Fire Flight Line.  They are almost identical but the Breath is the one that's been there for many years in which you sit in the harness and the Fire is new, within a year I think, and you lay on your stomach and fly like superman.  There is plenty written about and videos posted on the Breath over the years, but there is virtually nothing out there (here, video sharing sites, another famous trip advising site) about the Fire.  We thought the superman would be pretty unique in that it's probably the closest way you could ever safely get a real feeling of flying through the air like a super hero!  The only other point that I've read is that the Breath allows for you to look around and enjoy the amazing scenery as you fly by, the ocean to your right and the beach, waves, etc to your left.  Whereas on the Fire you pretty much have to keep your head straight forward and therefore don't get to see the scenic views going by.  So, has ANYONE done the FIRE and can comment on this?

As a second topic, my plan and hope is to be able to do several activities while on Labadee.  Any comments on feasibility, recommended order or timing?  We dock at 8 and leave port at 5 and of course we have to fit in the bbq lunch on the beach.

1. Dragon's Breath or Fire Flight line (father and daughter) - potentially while we do this my wife and younger daughter could do the Dragon coaster. Times are from 8:30-3 for the zip lines, basically starting every 30 min and I've read you need about 1.5hr in total.

2. We definitely want to do the wave rider tour (2 drivers/2 passengers).  Plenty of time slots from 9-2 and it's listed as 1.25 hours.

3. If time permits we'd like to do the kayak tour.  Times are 9, 11 and 1 and it's listed as 1.5 hours.

36 minutes ago, rasmonkey said:

Hi all.  My family is cruising on the Harmony in less than a week.  It's my wife and I's 4th cruise (all RCCL) and our daughters' first ever cruise.  Thanks in advance for any input!

I've decided to be more adventurous than normal and take my daredevil 12 year old daughter on one of the crazy zip lines at Labadee.  There are two, Dragon’s Breath Flight Line and Dragon's Fire Flight Line.  They are almost identical but the Breath is the one that's been there for many years in which you sit in the harness and the Fire is new, within a year I think, and you lay on your stomach and fly like superman.  There is plenty written about and videos posted on the Breath over the years, but there is virtually nothing out there (here, video sharing sites, another famous trip advising site) about the Fire.  We thought the superman would be pretty unique in that it's probably the closest way you could ever safely get a real feeling of flying through the air like a super hero!  The only other point that I've read is that the Breath allows for you to look around and enjoy the amazing scenery as you fly by, the ocean to your right and the beach, waves, etc to your left.  Whereas on the Fire you pretty much have to keep your head straight forward and therefore don't get to see the scenic views going by.  So, has ANYONE done the FIRE and can comment on this?

As a second topic, my plan and hope is to be able to do several activities while on Labadee.  Any comments on feasibility, recommended order or timing?  We dock at 8 and leave port at 5 and of course we have to fit in the bbq lunch on the beach.

1. Dragon's Breath or Fire Flight line (father and daughter) - potentially while we do this my wife and younger daughter could do the Dragon coaster. Times are from 8:30-3 for the zip lines, basically starting every 30 min and I've read you need about 1.5hr in total.

2. We definitely want to do the wave rider tour (2 drivers/2 passengers).  Plenty of time slots from 9-2 and it's listed as 1.25 hours.

3. If time permits we'd like to do the kayak tour.  Times are 9, 11 and 1 and it's listed as 1.5 hours.

If you are going to do all that you will be running yourself pretty good.  If that is what you want to do, it is possible to do all 3 activities and have lunch.  It will be a little chaotic going from activity to activity.  If you want to do all 3 I would schedule the kayak and wave runner close together.  Then do lunch and flight line last.  Or reverse order of doing the flight line first thing in the morning and maybe the wave runner after.  Having lunch, then walking back to do the kayak.  

You can by an all day pass the coaster and it is pretty relaxing going down a few times.  I would recommend bringing a towel to sit on if you are going to ride it 3 or more times.

Might not have videos of the fire zipline, but look up Fremont street zipline.  You lie face down in that one and that should be close to what the fire line is like.

Edited by frank808
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, frank808 said:

If you are going to do all that you will be running yourself pretty good.  If that is what you want to do, it is possible to do all 3 activities and have lunch.  It will be a little chaotic going from activity to activity.  If you want to do all 3 I would schedule the kayak and wave runner close together.  Then do lunch and flight line last.  Or reverse order of doing the flight line first thing in the morning and maybe the wave runner after.  Having lunch, then walking back to do the kayak.  

You can by an all day pass the coaster and it is pretty relaxing going down a few times.  I would recommend bringing a towel to sit on if you are going to ride it 3 or more times.

Thanks for the reply!  We don't sit on our butts on vacations, but I am indeed worried that I'm trying to fit too much in.  Kayaking would be last on the list as that can be done at many places.

The order doesn't matter to me, just want it to be most sensible.  I did read that up at the zip line it gets hot so it's preferable to do that in the morning, with the added benefit of then cooling off with one/both water based activities afterward.  On the flip side, people have said that both water-based activities have been cancelled in the afternoon in the past due to waves getting too high, making it less likely of it being cancelled in the morning.

Edited by rasmonkey

1 minute ago, bilyclub said:

The Dragon's Breath takes longer than 1.5 hours. You have to watch a movie, then a run on the little zip line, then the ride up.

It took my wife about 2 hours for the entire process.

5 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

The Dragon's Breath takes longer than 1.5 hours. You have to watch a movie, then a run on the little zip line, then the ride up.

It only took me about an hour and 15 minutes to do Dragon's Breath.  I had it scheduled at 10:30, followed by the wave jet tour at 12:00, and had no problem making it on time.  This allowed me to get to the lunch buffet before it closed at 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Dragon's Fire use the same lines as Dragon's Breath, with just a different harness for the rider, or is it a complete different set of ziplines?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Saw on the other similar thread that it's the same set of ziplines as Dragon's Breath.

Edited by bobmacliberty

I was at Labadee back in October and rode the original zipline.  The new Superman, face-down lines were next to us.  I talked to a lady who did the Superman version and she said it jerked her back when stopping.  You may want to consider this.  I rode in the sitting style and there's a big "swing up" at the end of the line but it wasn't jerky to me.  

Enjoy zipping!

Patti 

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Does Dragon's Fire use the same lines as Dragon's Breath, with just a different harness for the rider, or is it a complete different set of ziplines?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Saw on the other similar thread that it's the same set of ziplines as Dragon's Breath.

This is incorrect. I just got back from my cruise and did the the "Fire" (Superman). There are two "Fire" lines to the left of the five lines of the "Breath."  The "Fire" lines actually start back 200-300 feet behind the "Breath."  I'll post a full review here when I get a chance, but the "Fire" was awesome.

36 minutes ago, Becoming said:

I was at Labadee back in October and rode the original zipline.  The new Superman, face-down lines were next to us.  I talked to a lady who did the Superman version and she said it jerked her back when stopping.  You may want to consider this.  I rode in the sitting style and there's a big "swing up" at the end of the line but it wasn't jerky to me.  

Enjoy zipping!

Patti 

Thanks for the input!  I just got back from my cruise and did the the "Fire" (Superman).  I did think about the potential issue you mentioned, but was happy to experience a smooth and graceful stop at the end.  It's possible the lady you talked to didn't get into the "landing" position soon or well enough.  I'll post a full review here when I get a chance, but the "Fire" was awesome.

Edited by rasmonkey

Thanks for asking this question! My husband and MIL are going to do the Breath/sitting one on our NOS sailing end of Feb and I can't decide whether to stick together and do that with them, or go off on my own and do the Fire/superman. 

So Fire goes out over the ocean as well? 

I've zip lined in St. Lucia and Africa so thought it would fun to do something different and do the Fire. But it's never as much fun doing something alone! 

This Libra can't make decisions, lol, so any advice is appreciated! 😊

5 minutes ago, jennadanielle said:

Thanks for asking this question! My husband and MIL are going to do the Breath/sitting one on our NOS sailing end of Feb and I can't decide whether to stick together and do that with them, or go off on my own and do the Fire/superman. 

So Fire goes out over the ocean as well? 

I've zip lined in St. Lucia and Africa so thought it would fun to do something different and do the Fire. But it's never as much fun doing something alone! 

This Libra can't make decisions, lol, so any advice is appreciated! 😊

Yes, the Fire lines are literally right next to the Breath lines along the same path.  I just got home from our HOTS cruise, unpacking, getting back to life, etc. and I'm beat. Tomorrow I'll reply with more detail to help you decide since you're going soon.

9 hours ago, jennadanielle said:

Upon further reflection, I'm leaning heavily towards the traditional option, with my family. My sister reminded me that I can get pretty anxious lol, and the last thing I want is to freak out at the top of the Fire and be all by myself! 😊

Either way you go, it's truly a once in a lifetime memory.  If you can, bring a gopro, camera, or something else that you won't drop 😉,  it's a great way to capture the memory.  This is the photo I took back in 2014 while dangling there before I started down the zipline.  It's the background of my computer's desktop now.  :)

Have a great time.  My 11 year old and I are doing the regular zipline next month!  It's been one of those "rights of passages" for our kids :), as they each got big enough to do it.

Dan

Labadee Zipline.jpg

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

This is the photo I took back in 2014 while dangling there before I started down the zipline.  It's the background of my computer's desktop now.  🙂

Labadee Zipline.jpg

What a nice picture!  Love the blue water!  When I zipped it was cloudy and a bit misty.  Our guide gave us the option of going back down on the truck if anyone felt unsafe.  I zipped and enjoyed it but the blue waters would have been an added bonus!

Patti 

4 minutes ago, Becoming said:

What a nice picture!  Love the blue water!  When I zipped it was cloudy and a bit misty.  Our guide gave us the option of going back down on the truck if anyone felt unsafe.  I zipped and enjoyed it but the blue waters would have been an added bonus!

Patti 

Bummer Patti.  Glad you still enjoyed it.  So far we've been fortunate with our zipline weather.  Praying that continues next month.  It's the last time I plan to do it now that my son is finally big enough.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...