100 day medallion

Crusin-Suzan

It is a very good idea to check at the Front Desk that they know about you!  We missed out on our silver medallions for about 3 cruises, until I finally checked with the Mariner Society, and they asked if we would like to have them mailed to us.  I replied that we wanted to receive them on a ship!  Eventually, we did get them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We've never chosen to attend a mariners' luncheon and so were quite surprised to find two medallions in our cabin one evening.  We've always rec'd invitations which require an RSVP to which we respond upon receipt.

With all the glowing reports of the luncheons I might just try to convince Bob to attend on our upcoming cruise.

We do take note of the accumulation of stars for the few benefits they offer.

We do enjoy HAL as do we also enjoy Princess and Celebrity.

Ruth

It has been years since we have gone to the Mariners Brunch.  Can't stand the free-for-all once the doors of the dining room are opened and people are running to get tables.

We do attend the award's ceremony.  Sadly the last few we have attended were not like the good old days.  On the ships we were on they just called our names and gave our number of days and had us wave.  Our last cruise was the worst.  The new people getting medals were called up but no one took their pictures.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

It is a very good idea to check at the Front Desk that they know about you!  We missed out on our silver medallions for about 3 cruises, until I finally checked with the Mariner Society, and they asked if we would like to have them mailed to us.  I replied that we wanted to receive them on a ship!  Eventually, we did get them.

Were you ever given a reason why they kept passing over you for getting your silver medallions?

On 1/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, richwmn said:

As Copper said, you should receive it at a Medallion Ceremony just before the Mariners Lunch. Make sure that guest services knows that you are to receive it.

Congratulations on  100 days.  Now you can start concentrating on getting Platinum.   

Enjoy your NS cruise.

image.png.4686411d14ca85cb678b64b79775b1b5.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Congratulations on your 100 days @ sea. My wife and I take this very seriously and started in 1981. We are 4 stars now soon to be five stars. We have gone through four different rewards programs. We have a HAL shrine so to speak in our front hall. We have our medals hanging there along with other certificates framed and hung.(Been married twice by different captains) We did not want to lose our medals so I went on EBAY and bought two bronze medals. We take the "FAKES" with us every cruise and if we were to lose our suitcases we do not lose our original medals as they are still at home on the wall. I have the next set bought and ready ready once we reach #300 soon.  

20 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

It has been years since we have gone to the Mariners Brunch.  Can't stand the free-for-all once the doors of the dining room are opened and people are running to get tables.

We do attend the award's ceremony.  Sadly the last few we have attended were not like the good old days.  On the ships we were on they just called our names and gave our number of days and had us wave.  Our last cruise was the worst.  The new people getting medals were called up but no one took their pictures.

Its amazing to me how differently things are handled on different ships.  Just off the Amsterdam where the Medallion ceremony started with each (there were at least 5-6) Presidential level persons/couples were called up front to have a picture with the Captain and Hotel Director.  Then, they went from highest to lowest level Medallions, with people having attained them "waving" and then they awarded the new medallions at that level (with a picture with the Captain). 

The event lasted less then 15 minutes and then all of us were marched off to dinner in a semi-organized manner (since the award event was on deck 4 and the lunch was also on 4, we had to go up to deck 5 and then back to deck 4).  The drinks at the even could be special ordered with wine and champagne ready to go.  At lunch the wine was poured freely.  The food was very good with a decent selection.

This event was much nicer and better organized than the one on the Zuiderdam we attended in Oct.

Strange the differences......

Thanks to the OP for posting this.  We are also due to receive our 100 day Medallion on our next cruise.  Because of this thread I learned it will / should be received on the cruise where we hit the 100 day mark and not on the next cruise.  I called Mariner Society to make sure we are on the list.

we are excited!  Anyone know how the Oosterdam handles these events?   We hope we get to have our picture with the Captain.  It would be a nice momento to mark the occasion.

1 hour ago, takemewithyou said:

Thanks to the OP for posting this.  We are also due to receive our 100 day Medallion on our next cruise.  Because of this thread I learned it will / should be received on the cruise where we hit the 100 day mark and not on the next cruise.  I called Mariner Society to make sure we are on the list.

we are excited!  Anyone know how the Oosterdam handles these events?   We hope we get to have our picture with the Captain.  It would be a nice momento to mark the occasion.

When we received our 100 day medallion on the Oosterdam, there was a meeting prior to the luncheon for those receiving the medals and then we were marched into the luncheon to specified tables.  It was done very nicely and yes we had our picture taken with the Captain, but no handshakes were done due to the new policy.

1 minute ago, boards said:

When we received our 100 day medallion on the Oosterdam, there was a meeting prior to the luncheon for those receiving the medals and then we were marched into the luncheon to specified tables.  It was done very nicely and yes we had our picture taken with the Captain, but no handshakes were done due to the new policy.

Thank you for your response.  We are looking forward to it. 

29 minutes ago, boards said:

All Captains handle the handshake issue differently, whether at that ceremony, at any other reception or anywhere else on the ship.  Some are more paranoid than others and others are quite social.  Some will not even shake hands while others are quite ready to dance (waltz, etc.) with guests at Black and White balls.  Seems each Captain and Hotel Director has his own policy.  

Since they started the no handshake we have not done it and that is a number of cruises, however you bring a good point, I had not thought about the black and white ball.   How do dance with someone without touching each other.  We have not attended the dances, so we really think it.  Wear gloves?

BTW the not shaking of the Captain's hand at that time was not a big deal, receiving the medallion was.  I am not complaining.

Edited by boards

Congratulations on your hundred days with HAL! We also had never heard of this award and were surprised to be called up to the main stage to receive our awards on the Koningsdam in 2017. My wife decided to spice up the presentation by giving our Captain a respectful peck on the cheek. He took it in stride...and the other award recepients got quite a kick out of it! 800249898_100dayscruisingaward001-2.thumb.jpg.ff4846c175b55ffaf9ca61b6fae4703e.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 7:32 PM, sueleekey said:

How does this work!   I have 99 days and going on the Statendam next month!!!  I dont recall ever seeing any being given out.  Thanks

My turn to be a spoil sport (potentially).  Are you sure of your days?  Unlike the star program only actual days on board count for the medallions, not the extra days for spending or suites.  The only exception to that is land days on Alaska cruise tours.

Roy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My turn to be a spoil sport (potentially).  Are you sure of your days?  Unlike the star program only actual days on board count for the medallions, not the extra days for spending or suites.  The only exception to that is land days on Alaska cruise tours.

Roy

Thanks Roy its 99 days!!  I have way over a hundred in points!!!   But its a good point for others to see because that could be confusing!!

• Like 1

My recent experiences with the Mariner Lunches and Medallion Presentations have definitely varied by ship.

Some presentations are better organized and done than others and the drink service varies as well.

Lunch quality and selection varies considerably.  Some great, some only fair.

HAL really needs to improve on its consistency in these (and other special) events, so that we know which to attend and which to skip.