New to Princess - not to cruising. Drink Package??

jaxflygirl88

10 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

That dash is more like a long run or marathon when you're in Share in 16 aft and Vines is 5 midship!! Lol.. not always practical - bit works well enough for the first glass. 

I’ve gotten round that too! Order a glass at Vines and have a few sips. Right before heading off to the remote speciality restaurant, order another glass each and head upstairs with a “double fister”! 😉 )

49 minutes ago, polmcs said:

I’ve gotten round that too! Order a glass at Vines and have a few sips. Right before heading off to the remote speciality restaurant, order another glass each and head upstairs with a “double fister”! 😉 )

Which gets you through appetizer and maybe first course!! Lol..that's a long elevator ride or stair walk - one gets thirsty!! 😉🍷

On 2/27/2019 at 8:52 PM, polmcs said:

Yes it does. That said, as you still have to order wines by the glass, I find that it’s better to run along to Vines and pick up a pre dinner glass of wine as they tend to have a much wider/better selection than the MDR/speciality restaurants and have it in a “sippy cup to go” and take it with you and then dash back out for a refill between courses.

The sad part about the "to go" glass in Vines is that the wine doesn't taste the same in that glass. Yes, it's true. The glass definitely does make a difference. We have made the experiment quite a few times. We had a 28 day cruise with the beverage package and found a wine we liked a lot. It was pretty darn good in Vines. When we had it "to go" and took it to dinner the wine wasn't nearly as good. Those good glasses in Vines really do make a difference.

22 hours ago, Thrak said:

The sad part about the "to go" glass in Vines is that the wine doesn't taste the same in that glass. Yes, it's true. The glass definitely does make a difference. We have made the experiment quite a few times. We had a 28 day cruise with the beverage package and found a wine we liked a lot. It was pretty darn good in Vines. When we had it "to go" and took it to dinner the wine wasn't nearly as good. Those good glasses in Vines really do make a difference.

The wine from Vines in the sippy cup to go glasses still tastes a lot better than some of the wines per the glass offerings from the MDR.

I know what you mean by the Reidel glasses though. We have about 2 dozen of them with a mixture of about 6 different shapes at home (along with an app on the iPad to tell me what goes in which glass! 😉

1 hour ago, polmcs said:

The wine from Vines in the sippy cup to go glasses still tastes a lot better than some of the wines per the glass offerings from the MDR.

I know what you mean by the Reidel glasses though. We have about 2 dozen of them with a mixture of about 6 different shapes at home (along with an app on the iPad to tell me what goes in which glass! 😉

What’s stopping you from taking the wine in their glass & taking it into the dinning room?

Tom🤔

12 hours ago, polmcs said:

I just saw the vines list from the Caribbean Princess & one cab was $16 per glass. I have the drink package for the first time. What happens if I order a drink that is $16?

I'm going to be on the Majestic so will the Vines list be different?

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

I guess you could bring another wine glass & bring that to the MDR. 

From people’s experience how do you compare the wine by the glass in Vines vs what you can order in the MRD?

Thanks!

Tom😀

On 1/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, skynight said:

No. The package must be purchased for the entire cruise, ie. 7 day cruise the price is $68.99 x 7 = $482.93. You can either pre-purchase in the cruise personlizer, or you can purchase it on board on boarding day only. The price is the same.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

Does it ever go on sale. 

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I just saw the vines list from the Caribbean Princess & one cab was $16 per glass. I have the drink package for the first time. What happens if I order a drink that is $16?

I'm going to be on the Majestic so will the Vines list be different?

Tom😎

You pay for the entire drink. They will not let you pay the difference  if you choose a drink over the set max per drink limit.

55 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Does it ever go on sale. 

In all the years Princess has offered the Beverage Package (since end of 2013), they have never had a sale on the price of the package. Whether they will in the future is anyone's guess.

They do run promos where the package is included in the cruise price . It's Called Sip and Sail. Usually runs in the summer, for cruises the following year. Usually only for booking made from North America...

On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, jaxflygirl88 said:

I'm diabetic , rarely drink alcohol but I get the soda pkg. for my diet coke addiction! 

The soda package may work if you like the fountain drinks. It does not include any can or bottle drinks.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 1:51 PM, jaxflygirl88 said:

I plan on a small roller cooler (cloth, not heavy) to check with baggage with porters with 12 bottles of water for us and 12 plastic bottles of diet coke (not 2 liter!)  the 12oz size ones.  This should be fine for us and hubby can buy 3-6 beers a day and I think will be cheaper than the beverage pkg. since he really doesn't drink cocktails and only has 3-4 beers a day.  If I need a soda on the private island I'll just purchase.  I usually drink Iced tea with dinner, so I don't think the soda pkg will even be a good deal for me.  2 days we're off at ports  most of the day anyway.   Staying on ship in Falmouth Jamaica .    Thanks for the advice. 

Be careful with the size of the cooler. The following is from the list of forbidden items:

• Coolers - only coolers approximately 12 x 12 x 12 in size (holds 6-12 cans of non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed. Guests carrying larger sizes will be directed to return them to their vehicle. If the guest is without a vehicle, the cooler will be destroyed in the same manner as other prohibited items. Exception: if the cooler is larger and contains baby food/formula, kosher food/special diet food or medication - these must be hand-carried. Coolers cannot be accepted as checked baggage.

1 hour ago, jaxflygirl88 said:

Navy Veteran...My husband is retired Master Chief 30 years!  Hoo Yah!  Were you ever stationed in Jax?

Retired Commander. Engineering Duty Officer. Never stationed at Jax.

Now all we need to go is convince Princess to paint their ships haze gray.:classic_smile:

On 1/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, paul929207 said:

You can carry on as much soda as you want.

I didn't know that? I thought there was a 12 pack limit for each person! Thanks, I'm going to bring a case one board.  Do I have to carry them on or can I give them to the package people? I would rather give them a tip than carry it on. Please advise...thanks

On 3/1/2019 at 10:49 PM, trbarton said:

What’s stopping you from taking the wine in their glass & taking it into the dinning room?

Tom🤔

Those glasses in Vines are expensive. They don't want them to leave the venue. Too many people would take them back to their cabin and pack them to take home.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, NavyVeteran said:

Now all we need to go is convince Princess to paint their ships haze gray.:classic_smile:

From what I understand, that's what Celebrity is doing... with the interiors of the ships.

BTW, my dad was stationed in JAX in the early 60s,well before I came into being.