TSA luggage locks

Crazy4Camping

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

What do you carry with you to cut off the zip ties?

Nail clippers. Occasionally, I take a flight on which my chosen lock isn't a good idea (ie TSA airports) so I do have a supply of zip ties in each of my bags. Nail clippers deal with these fairly well. Permitted scissors aren't so good because blunt noses can't easily get into the bit of the plastic that you really need to cut. But depending on the design of your bag, there's nothing to stop you putting a non-compliant pair of scissors or even a sharp knife into an unlocked outside pocket of your checked bag.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

What do you carry with you to cut off the zip ties?

I have used them on long multi stop flights because, like someone mentioned earlier, the inconvenience to the thief may persuade them to go to a bag with no lock.  We make sure that we don't pack anything of any real value in the checked bags but of course you never know what a thief might think is valuable - maybe just a really nice pair of shoes. 

The zip ties I use are relatively thin as their only purpose is to tell me if somebody has opened the luggage.  I can break them with a pencil/pen by simply twisting until it breaks.  But I usually have an old Swiss Army knife (with no real value) in an outside compartment in one of my checked bags and that also serves the purpose.

Hank

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Alaskanb said:

Zip ties work well

Yep.  We fly 4-5 time per year, haven't locked luggage in 30+ years and no one has stolen anything.  If someone wants to steal some of our clothes or shoes so be it.  But a lock isn't going to stop or slow them down.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, Globaliser said:

Nail clippers. Occasionally, I take a flight on which my chosen lock isn't a good idea (ie TSA airports) so I do have a supply of zip ties in each of my bags. Nail clippers deal with these fairly well. Permitted scissors aren't so good because blunt noses can't easily get into the bit of the plastic that you really need to cut. But depending on the design of your bag, there's nothing to stop you putting a non-compliant pair of scissors or even a sharp knife into an unlocked outside pocket of your checked bag.

I agree. Nail clippers are perfect for snipping zip ties. Always carry extras with me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 8:33 AM, Hlitner said:

Luggage locks are worthless against a thief as they can simply jimmy the zipper (easily done with a pen or many other items) or break the lock.  But we do think its nice to know if anyone has been in our luggage so we use simple zip ties (you can buy 50+ for a few dollars at any auto parts store or hardware store).  While some thieves have TSA keys (so can open those locks and reclose them) they would have to cut off a zip tie which then gives us some proof.

This is not on the OP's topic, which was a specific combo lock.  But on the topic of suitcase security, it's so depressing seeing the same outdated "news" over and over.

Zip ties are worth, well, zip.  I've had them (and the Panam tags attached with them) removed multiple times.  And obviously, TSA locks are worse than useless... and suitcases coming with them integrated is silly, so buy a suitcase in Europe, where the locks aren't TSA... because what's the point of locking it during transit when they all have keys.

But... no, thieves cannot "jimmy the zipper" of modern luggage.  Recent (good) stuff has the dual-layer zipper that this trick does not work on (technically called something like the double raquet coil chain, from memory.)  YKK invented it (of course, since they're the zipper gurus.)  The Delsey Zip Securi-Tech (or something flashy like that) is the YKK, branded for Delsey.  

Get a modern case, couple it with a real lock like an Abus 8345 and you're well-protected in your hotel room, at the bell hop, etc.

32 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

And if the TSA selects your checked bag to inspect, they'll cut the lock off.

So the only time you're ever away from your baggage and possessions is when it's with the TSA?  That's kind-of sad.

Carry two locks, or just don't lock it during the flight portion.  Surely you realize that there is zero security in using a TSA lock, ever.  The keys are super-readily available.  Everyone has them.  And very little point to hotel safes, which not only have a master key but generally an unchanged admin code.  

A non-TSA padlock doesn't take much space, and if you seriously believe the TSA is going to raid your hotel room while you're not there to cut the lock off... well, you don't see the world the way I do.

27 minutes ago, TechSurfer said:

Surely you realize that there is zero security in using a TSA lock, ever.  The keys are super-readily available.  Everyone has them. 

Just focusing on the air travel part of the journey, which is what this thread is about: Do you really think that putting on a "real lock" instead will add anything of significance to the security of your bag?

That really isn't the point of locking your bag.

So the only time you're ever away from your baggage and possessions is when it's with the TSA?  That's kind-of sad.
Carry two locks, or just don't lock it during the flight portion.  Surely you realize that there is zero security in using a TSA lock, ever.  The keys are super-readily available.  Everyone has them.  And very little point to hotel safes, which not only have a master key but generally an unchanged admin code.  
A non-TSA padlock doesn't take much space, and if you seriously believe the TSA is going to raid your hotel room while you're not there to cut the lock off... well, you don't see the world the way I do.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I have soft-sided zippered luggage, which I don't bother locking. If someone is going to riffle through my bag, I'd rather they not also destroy it in the process.

So, go preach at someone else. [emoji849]

1 hour ago, hapster85 said:

As I stated earlier in the thread, I have soft-sided zippered luggage, which I don't bother locking. If someone is going to riffle through my bag, I'd rather they not also destroy it in the process.

So, go preach at someone else. emoji849.png

Then you've clearly shoved your nose into the wrong thread.  Perhaps you missed the title, "TSA Luggage Locks".  Or you just didn't read the original poster's message.  Don't be so defensive when your posts are pointed out to be inaccurate for the topic, when you clearly realize that you don't have any actual experience with the topic.   Sheesh!

Then you've clearly shoved your nose into the wrong thread.  Perhaps you missed the title, "TSA Luggage Locks".  Or you just didn't read the original poster's message.  Don't be so defensive when your posts are pointed out to be inaccurate for the topic, when you clearly realize that you don't have any actual experience with the topic.   Sheesh!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

On 3/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, TechSurfer said:

My dear TechSurfer,

You mentioned that in Europe, our locks are not TSA locks...

that is incorrect.

Nearly all luggage sold in the EU have TSA locks.

Best advise, from someone who spends 300 days a year in hotels Worldwide and lives out of a suitcase:

* Never get the shiniest bag or kost expensive one. Make your bag look old, with stickers, scratches.

* Never Ever put your adress on the outside of your bag. Only supply a phone number or email adress. Do not advertise that you

are not at home.

*DO use the TSA locks, thieves do NOT have time to try and break locks, zippers is another story though...

* DO NOT buy the very much in fashion hardcase zipper bags. A simple knife or even a pen gets trough a zipper within seconds. That also goes for so called security dual coil zippers ( Delsey crap,for example). We tested, we got through within seconds.

buy the old-fashioned bags with locks and no zippers if you travel to risk areas. 

* if you must give a bag at gate-check “ delivery at aircraft”, DO use zip-ties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Despegue said:

My dear TechSurfer,

You mentioned that in Europe, our locks are not TSA locks...

that is incorrect.

Nearly all luggage sold in the EU have TSA locks.

Best advise, from someone who spends 300 days a year in hotels Worldwide and lives out of a suitcase:

* Never get the shiniest bag or kost expensive one. Make your bag look old, with stickers, scratches.

* Never Ever put your adress on the outside of your bag. Only supply a phone number or email adress. Do not advertise that you

are not at home.

*DO use the TSA locks, thieves do NOT have time to try and break locks, zippers is another story though...

* DO NOT buy the very much in fashion hardcase zipper bags. A simple knife or even a pen gets trough a zipper within seconds. That also goes for so called security dual coil zippers ( Delsey crap,for example). We tested, we got through within seconds.

buy the old-fashioned bags with locks and no zippers if you travel to risk areas. 

* if you must give a bag at gate-check “ delivery at aircraft”, DO use zip-ties.

Oh wise one...

Besides the zip-ties, I use split-ring key rings to keep the zipper pulls together.  I curse myself when I'm trying to get them on, but they are a cheap way to keep things together.  The casual thief (like TSA agents and baggage folks) will go for the easy-open things - unsecured or TSA locks - as they need to quickly get in and out.   I always put the split-rings on my carry on and backpacks to keep prying TSA hands out of them at the checkpoints.   I don't put my bags through the machine until I am ready to walk through, even if it is "slowing up" the x-ray line.  And I NEVER allow a TSA Smurf to take a bag out of my eyesight - if it's going anywhere, I'm going too.  

Oh, the term for someone who handles your luggage at a hotel or airport - BELLMAN, not bellhop.  It drives my bellmen crazy when someone calls them that...

Very true. Never ever let your bag out of sight at security. Only go through the scanner when your hage goes trough also.

remember, any TSA agent has to ask permission to open your bag, and HAS to do the search with you present. ( carryon bags only evidently). DO NEVER let them threaten or intimidate you by the way, they are there for YOUR security and are doing YOU a service. If necessary, ask for the Supervising Officer. However, always remain polite and respectful please, they are just following regulations and  most hate some of the absurd ones as much as we do.

34 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Besides the zip-ties, I use split-ring key rings to keep the zipper pulls together.  I curse myself when I'm trying to get them on, but they are a cheap way to keep things together.  The casual thief (like TSA agents and baggage folks) will go for the easy-open things - unsecured or TSA locks - as they need to quickly get in and out.   I always put the split-rings on my carry on and backpacks to keep prying TSA hands out of them at the checkpoints.

Oh, the term for someone who handles your luggage at a hotel or airport - BELLMAN, not bellhop.  It drives my bellmen crazy when someone calls them that...

What a cool idea!  (The split rings.)

Even Wikipedia describes bellhop as it has been used here.  "Bellmen" would be overly gender- and orientation-specific.  Either way, wasn't the context the desk service?  

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

Very true. Never ever let your bag out of sight at security. Only go through the scanner when your hage goes trough also.

remember, any TSA agent has to ask permission to open your bag, and HAS to do the search with you present. ( carryon bags only evidently). DO NEVER let them threaten or intimidate you by the way, they are there for YOUR security and are doing YOU a service. If necessary, ask for the Supervising Officer. However, always remain polite and respectful please, they are just following regulations and  most hate some of the absurd ones as much as we do.

We think you have it wrong and using such an attitude with TSA may well cause you extra grief.  TSA can open your bags (checked or carry-on) without your permission.   While I am certainly not a lawyer (perish the thought) I do believe that TSA searches fall under the so-called "special needs exception" to the 4th Amendment of our US Constitution.  In simple terms, once you enter the TSA security process they can search your luggage without your permission.  And they can search you too...including a body search...whether you like it or not.  Cause them grief and they are more likely to select you for an even more rigorous secondary search.  Cause them even more grief and they can summon a nearby police officer who can help enforce the rules (including detaining anyone who impedes the process).   Do they open your luggage in your presence?   Most of the time, yes.....but it is not a requirement.  About 2 years ago I actually asked a Supervisor about this issue and she told me that they prefer to open carry-on luggage in the presence of the passenger because it can help avoid mis-understandings (whatever that means).  

The procedure is even crazier for checked-luggage.  TSA agents can (and do) search luggage deep in the bowels of the airport (far from your sight).  If the luggage is locked and they cannot easily open the lock they have full authority to cut off the lock!  If your luggage is searched they are supposed to leave a note inside..

My attitude towards the TSA folks is to often thank them for doing their job.  It is a very difficult job made more difficult by passengers with a bad attitude.  The TSA folks are normal people who appreciate those who quickly cooperate without causing them hassles,.,or delaying the process.   Perhaps the process is best expressed by a friend who asks the question, "would you fly on a commercial flight without any screening security?"

There are some plane-chasing lawyers that will tell us things like "you have the right to refuse TSA screening."   That is questionable but one thing is for certain in that if you decide to refuse screening you are not going to go flying :(.  And if you decide, at a checkpoint that you want to use your right to see a TSA Supervisor or the Transportation Security Manager (TSM) you will be granted that right.  However, you might find yourself cooling your heels (sometimes for a very long time) until they can grant your request (the TSM could be in a different part of the airport).  And if you miss your flight while waiting it is not TSA's problem..  Like many frequent flyers we have missed connections because of TSA, and it can be quite frustrating.  It once happened to us at ATL on the evening of a small snow storm...and because TSA delayed us we had to spend two days  (and nights) in Atlanta at our own expense until our airline could get us on a flight.

On a good note, we just went through ATL yesterday evening when TSA had lots of problems.  We had flown in from Mexico and most of the Global Entry Kiosks were "out of order."  It took us over 30 minutes to just get to a Kiosk (and this is much faster then if you do not have Global Entry), retrieve our luggage and then recheck for a domestic flight.  When we got to the TSA screening line (you must do this if connecting from an International flight) the TSA folks went out off their way to expedite the process for everyone :).   I suspect they felt bad because of all the prior delays and they did use some common sense.  We are still trying to understand the advantage of the new "facial recognition" used at ATL (and some other airports) as it did nothing to smooth our way through the system.

Hank

negative.

Regarding hand luggage, you have the right to be present at all times during a TSA search. 

Often, hand luggage has sensitive information within. TSA is only allowed to check if any prohibited items are in your bag. No more no less. 

Be assertive in this, tell them if you have sensitive material that legally requires your presence at all times. ( in my case, security manuals, audits, performance files etc...)

And NO hand luggage should be out of your sight at any time, if it is, it is reason for a security alert, if you really would want to play their game.

Once again though, respect is everything and politeness will get you somewhere, shouting will keep you on the ground, but do remain assertive and stand your ground if necessary.

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We think you have it wrong and using such an attitude with TSA may well cause you extra grief.  TSA can open your bags (checked or carry-on) without your permission.   While I am certainly not a lawyer (perish the thought)

Geez, Hank, you wrote a book, and for all that, not only are you clearly not a lawyer but also not a seasoned traveler.

Until the last year, I must've flown at least five times a month... for many years.  Your interpretation is the oddest type of fantasy.  I have never seen the TSA take carry-on out-of-sight.  I have never seen TSA start looking into carry-on without asking first... including mine.  And, oddly, for a while a name close enough to mine was on a sensitive list that I got "random searched" every time.  Like four times a month.  (I eventually wrote to my Congressional rep and it stopped.)    You think we don't know the law?  Tell me when you've done that.

As I said, they always ask.  One of their questions is, is there anything sharp in there.  It's not just policy, it's for their protection. 

Yes, I have seen people make it rough on them.  Every time, people sounding like from Eastern Europe, seriously.  Probably because Americans understand the rules, including the "don't pack litres of lotion" rule. ;) )  Usually TSA acts very professionally, sometimes moving the offending party off to the side for a "deeper" inspection.  (Cue sound of rubber gloves snapping.)  

I used to regularly travel with equipment that looked, apparently, just like an ammo magazine (custom harmonicas, no kidding... gotta do something while away from home... eventually started just sending them through outside the carry-on), and even then was always treated respectfully.  I don't like the TSA process, but you over-state both their power and their power-madness.

One thing I really don't understand about your thought process is, what makes you believe we care about locking the case during transit?  Do you seriously never leave your hotel room or cabin?  (That could explain a lot, but still...)  Are you really claiming that locking your front door is an advertisement that you have valuables?  What's your deal?

• 3 weeks later...

If TSA has needed to look into my bag, they ask whose it is and then say, "I need to look inside," or words to that effect. They have not asked permission (and what good would it do to say no?). It's usually the compliant corkscrew that I put in an outside pocket to remove for screening and then forget about once I get there.

• 2 weeks later...

We always use the TSA locks for security but also to make sure that our bags don’t open while being transferred.  Many times I have seen bags coming out on the carousel with clothes hanging out....

Once I had a lock that would not open on the bag so I went to TSA and they opened it with the key.  Lock thrown away immediately.  Glad I needed a coat out of it at the airport before we got in the car.