* ms Zuiderdam, N Amsterdam in Port Everglades & Eurodam, Rotterdam Sailing Jan. 27

kazu

While we're waiting for Nieuw Amsterdam, an off topic question for Copper10-8.  Many people know that Chile has very strict agricultural quarantine rules and all bags are checked when leaving the ship for banned food items.  Sometimes this is a visual inspection and sometimes an x-ray scanner is used.

What I've noticed this trip is that where there is a scanner they are scanning bags in both directions.  I can't for the life of me figure out why.  There also appears to be a metal detector but either it's a dummy or turned off.  I would understand if they got together with HAL security and ran it as a checkpoint like they do at HMC but I can't figure out what they are looking for and Norm did not know either.  They don't visually check bags coming back when there are no scanners.

Any idea what's going on?

Roy

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

While we're waiting for Nieuw Amsterdam, an off topic question for Copper10-8.  Many people know that Chile has very strict agricultural quarantine rules and all bags are checked when leaving the ship for banned food items.  Sometimes this is a visual inspection and sometimes an x-ray scanner is used.

What I've noticed this trip is that where there is a scanner they are scanning bags in both directions.  I can't for the life of me figure out why.  There also appears to be a metal detector but either it's a dummy or turned off.  I would understand if they got together with HAL security and ran it as a checkpoint like they do at HMC but I can't figure out what they are looking for and Norm did not know either.  They don't visually check bags coming back when there are no scanners.

Any idea what's going on?

Roy

Norm is smarter than I will ever be (except in choice of hockey teams) so, having never been to Chile or around the horn, I'm afraid I can't help you with this one, Roy. Is this occurring off the ship inside the terminal? The only reason for scanning a bag both ways is to get a second look at the contents, X-Ray machines are for luggage and metal detectors are for people

I'm completely baffled.  Mostly it's in the terminal but sometimes it's in a temporary shelter and in Iqueque it's been under a popup at the gangway.  Actually, last year when I was there on the Crystal Symphony they packed everything up and as we sailed that scanner was just sitting open on the dock.  Good thing it's a desert there.

scanner.JPG.91374a3faf904afe495c30ae698e443c.JPG

I'm having trouble making sense of this.  I'm pretty sure what they're concerned about is taking things like an apple off the ship.  Scanning again on the return doesn't do a lot.  I could have either eaten it or gone into a grocery store and bought a local one.  I can understand HAL security being concerned but can't imagine why the Chilean authorities would object.

Perhaps since they need to be there all day they're just looking for something to do while not many people are leaving the ship.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm completely baffled.  Mostly it's in the terminal but sometimes it's in a temporary shelter and in Iqueque it's been under a popup at the gangway.  Actually, last year when I was there on the Crystal Symphony they packed everything up and as we sailed that scanner was just sitting open on the dock.  Good thing it's a desert there.

I'm having trouble making sense of this.  I'm pretty sure what they're concerned about is taking things like an apple off the ship.  Scanning again on the return doesn't do a lot.  I could have either eaten it or gone into a grocery store and bought a local one.  I can understand HAL security being concerned but can't imagine why the Chilean authorities would object.

Perhaps since they need to be there all day they're just looking for something to do while not many people are leaving the ship.

Roy

Very strange local rules, Roy! I know Australia and New Zealand are very strict and in South Korea they came out sprayed liquid on our (the HAL) floor mats :classic_huh: but I have never seen a set-up like you're showing in Chilean ports before! Enjoy your Brazilian ports!

I have enjoyed listening for toots this afternoon, but DH is watching the BBC and so I'm not allowed to turn up the volume!:classic_sad:  I will have to find a different location for sail aways on future Sundays.  Thanks, all, and see you next time.

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

I have enjoyed listening for toots this afternoon, but DH is watching the BBC and so I'm not allowed to turn up the volume!:classic_sad:  I will have to find a different location for sail aways on future Sundays.  Thanks, all, and see you next time.

Not many sailaways left for you, either.

Roy

Sonetimes with charters they may have an entertainer perform on the first night of the cruise and disembark before departure. 

Not the same, but a few years ago on an RSVP charter we had a medical evacuation after Princess Cay and were rerouted to Miami. That affected the rest of our intinerary and a featured entertainer would not have been able to stay on the ship due to her next commitmemt. She ended up doing her show in the middle of the day, as we were arriving in Miami and then disembarked the ship. 

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Dh snipped this pic of NA for us. So twinkly and pretty.

N Amsterdam 2.PNG

I was watching, too. Couldn’t figure out why NA wasn’t moving and then found out she’s a charter this cruise. She was all dressed up with nowhere to go! Just sitting there twinkling away!

• Like 2

If anyone is watching this thread to follow NA and Rotterdam in Key West, strong winds have delayed our arrivals. NA will beat Rotterdam - arriving about 12:15 pm.  Rottie will arrive at about 12:45 at Outer Mole but we are also not leaving until 8 pm. Don't know about the chartered NA and her later schedule.

29 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

If anyone is watching this thread to follow NA and Rotterdam in Key West, strong winds have delayed our arrivals. NA will beat Rotterdam - arriving about 12:15 pm.  Rottie will arrive at about 12:45 at Outer Mole but we are also not leaving until 8 pm. Don't know about the chartered NA and her later schedule.

Nieuw A is going to Key West's B-Pier and is scheduled to depart at 2300/11:00 PM. Enjoy the Conch Republic!