Butlins

Mkyomo

4 hours ago, docco said:

What's wrong with Butlins?  🙂

Nothing if you know what to expect. 🙂

Actuality, I must admit to having the occasional weekend away at Pontins sand bay.

We go with a group of friends for the social and dancing but we know that's a million miles away from our P&O experience.

4 hours ago, rickpo said:

When I was young we went to Pontins, my parents couldn't afford Butlins.

It was a little too upmarket for us, how times change.

Rick.

That's interesting. My parents always told me that they couldn't afford Pontins which is why we went to Butlins! We went to every Butlins camp apart from the one in Scotland and I'm happy to say I've never been on a cruise - P&O or otherwise - that sinks to the depths of Butlins!

51 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

That probably depends on your age.  If you are a child of the 50s like me, Butlins means the Hi di hi comedy.  If you are a millenial you probably have a different experience.  

True - and, conversely, much the same applies to P&O.  One's gone upmarket (well, sort of.....) and one's gone downmarket.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cozzyleicester said:

I suspect we were on the very same cruise the OP refers to, returning on Jan 26th. Like an earlier respondent  I was struggling somewhat to make sense of this post but whilst I would agree that the in house Pulse band were nothing like as good as on Britannia 2 years ago in the Caribbean,  I can’t disagree more with everything else the OP said.

If you ignore the whole ridiculous Butlins reference (if I had a £ for every time I see the old “P&O is becoming Butlins” chestnut I could have paid for my on board account), first thing I would say is if you’ve got a cruise coming up on Azura then don’t be put off, I saw no evidence of “it’s all going downhill”. We loved it from beginning to end and never spoke to anyone in the MDR that wasn’t enjoying it too.

I thought the entertainment hosts were great, I did several of the poolside quizzes and enjoyed them. And as for saying the Captain was “shocking”, well honestly I thought his announcements were just fine, and was my holiday spoiled because I didn’t see him to say hello?  No, of course it wasn’t. I went to the audience with the Captain and his team in the theatre and really enjoyed it, thought he carried himself pretty well in the face of some well, yes whinging by a couple of people which made me cringe; that’s despite the entertainment host saying at the outset, “please can we take individual concerns outside of this session”.

BTW we only ate a couple of times in the buffet when time was short and thought it was just fine, particularly the curries.

So overall, horses for courses but I thought it was worth bringing a bit of balance to this debate from someone on the same cruise, particularly for the benefit of those for whom these forums are their only source of info if new to cruising and might be worried when seeing posts like this (believe me I know what that’s like, reading all sorts of critical reviews of Britannia before our first cruise and thinking oh no - then you get on the ship and say to yourself “they must have been on a different ship!”)

Thank you for your balancing input. It has put my mind at rest a little, because we are on Azura in May, for our second ever cruise and I was getting a little worried after reading so many negative reviews. Mind you, even if it was ending up like Butlins, it wouldn't bother me cos I am always up for a party atmosphere. Our first cruise, which was on Ventura in May last year was absolutely brilliant. The only very small negative we had, was that the ship was having some technical issues. We had to miss a port of call and there was quite a lot of rolling during the cruise (apparently to do with the technical issue the ship had). Other than that, we found the entertainment, the food, the service and the general feel of the cruise to be fantastic, which is why, this year we have booked on her sister ship Azura. If our cruise in May is anything like last year, We will be very happy bunnies.

People are missing the meaning , there is nothing wrong with Butlins,  what  I am saying is P&O is in my view going more for quantity not Quality, done other 20+ P&Ocruises and seen the changes over the years. If people like what they get for their money that's fine too. But I remember how it was years ago,  Quality not Quantity. Simple.

23 minutes ago, Mkyomo said:

People are missing the meaning , there is nothing wrong with Butlins,  what  I am saying is P&O is in my view going more for quantity not Quality, done other 20+ P&Ocruises and seen the changes over the years. If people like what they get for their money that's fine too. But I remember how it was years ago,  Quality not Quantity. Simple.

That’s fine, but to get that standard you’d need to pay the indexed equivalent of what you were paying in those halcyon days. And you’re simply not. Nothing like.

I think you need one of the top end cruise lines, but you’ll pay substantially more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

aaaahh I've missed the P&O boards and I'm glad to be back...just booked onto the Ventura for next year and i cant wait, was my first ship and my first time back on her 😍

As long as they still do the Steak on the 'favorites' menu and a few Vegan options for my Dad and Mum (V) and the hot stone in the Beach house for me we'll all be happy 🙂  

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:07 PM, docco said:

That’s fine, but to get that standard you’d need to pay the indexed equivalent of what you were paying in those halcyon days. And you’re simply not. Nothing like.

I think you need one of the top end cruise lines, but you’ll pay substantially more.

This is the point when people moan about P&O standards slipping. Cruising is becoming much more popular and P&O are keeping prices affordable for the average person/family. If you took their prices from the 1990s or 2000s and increased by inflation, then prices would be an awful lot more than what we are paying now. It is a competitive market now and the ships are twice or even three times as big and they are incredibly affordable. Those who want silver service and what you were once accustomed to can still get that but you will pay more for it and have to use another cruise line like Silversea or Cunard etc. P&O like any modern company are having to adapt to be relevant to their market.

As for Butlins, I go twice a year and love it there on the adult weekends but then again I do enjoy reliving the 80s and it is a shame the drinks prices are not 1980s. Anyone who remembers Butlins from the 1960s needs to get with the times as they are modern and mainly all modern hotels now rather than chalets. Happy cruising first timers and you will love it.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, rickpo said:

When I was young we went to Pontins, my parents couldn't afford Butlins.

It was a little too upmarket for us, how times change.

Rick.

There has been a serious roof collapse at on of the Pontins establishments in the past 24 hours.  Reports suggest eighteen people injured and people who were trapped under debris.

Regards John

Good grief, this looks terrible and doesn't even seem to have hit the main news at all. Hopefully, everyone is well.

To Sweep 2907 --- ohhhh yes, I remember it well ….. once, and only once did my family venture to Minehead in the early 1970s. We hated it with a passion. Have returned many times since for an annual convention at Easter to Skegness and Minehead and have seen how it has really moved with the times and how the accommodation has improved over the years.

In some ways a cruise today really is like Butlins on ANY and EVERY cruise line ----- light the blue touch paper and stand back ;-)

E.g.

• You have to show your identity when you enter to leave
  • There are activities to keep us all entertained like Bingo, quizzes, talks etc
  • There are super water parks with slides, family water park type entertainment
  • There is an entertainment team encouraging you to 'have a good time' --- not all Red Coats but in the cruise line uniform up on deck at sailaway and around the pool
  • Your 'chalet' gets cleaned every day
  • There are plenty of bars to keep you happy and entertained
  • There are activities to keep the children happy all day
  • There are a variety of rooms to suit all tastes and budgets
  • They are generally by the sea
  • On some ships you get a message in your cabin telling you what is going on and when

Sorry everyone, but cruising really has become the new Butlins ------------- perhaps they should move in to the cruise sector! Made me chuckle writing this above. Have to say, from what I can remember though, ships don't seem to have the Donkey Derby …………. yet

;-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Good grief, this looks terrible and doesn't even seem to have hit the main news at all. Hopefully, everyone is well.

To Sweep 2907 --- ohhhh yes, I remember it well ….. once, and only once did my family venture to Minehead in the early 1970s. We hated it with a passion. Have returned many times since for an annual convention at Easter to Skegness and Minehead and have seen how it has really moved with the times and how the accommodation has improved over the years.

In some ways a cruise today really is like Butlins on ANY and EVERY cruise line ----- light the blue touch paper and stand back 😉

E.g.

• There are activities to keep us all entertained like Bingo, quizzes, talks etc
  • There is an entertainment team encouraging you to 'have a good time' --- not all Red Coats but in the cruise line uniform up on deck at sailaway and around the pool
  • On some ships you get a message in your cabin telling you what is going on and when

Sorry everyone, but cruising really has become the new Butlins ------------- perhaps they should move in to the cruise sector! Made me chuckle writing this above. Have to say, from what I can remember though, ships don't seem to have the Donkey Derby …………. yet

😉

That just about sums it up!

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

That just about sums it up!

Had forgotten that you can also have all of your drinks included in the price

Oh and they used to have first and second settings for the meals …….. I think they do the 'freedom dining' thing now as well if you don't want to use the main dining room / fixed settings

:-)

Edited by Presto2

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

In some ways a cruise today really is like Butlins on ANY and EVERY cruise line ----- light the blue touch paper and stand back 😉

E.g.

😉

You’ve reawakened my interest in returning to Butlins after a gap of some 50 years.

What’s the accommodation and food like these days then?

2 hours ago, docco said:

You’ve reawakened my interest in returning to Butlins after a gap of some 50 years.

What’s the accommodation and food like these days then?

Are you serious ????? I've replied incase you are ……...

The link to the accommodation section is below. To be honest the new accommodation really is good - we stayed in the Bayside Apartments for 4 / 5 nights one Easter at Minehead and it was wonderful ! Very modern, huge sea views with parking and right on the sea front. Very nice. I imagine that the basic accommodation is just that - very basic !!!

Only had half board once at Skegness and would never do it again --- really not impressed and the times were ridiculous. There is a food area though for those who are self catering if they want to eat on site and they are ok from what I remember.

No turn down though or chocolates on your pillows …. but there is no longer that annoying tannoy waking you up at silly o'clock for first sitting. (I was scarred for life at the age of 7 after that …….)

Am I really writing a review of Butlins on here ????? :classic_biggrin: :classic_blink: :classic_laugh:

https://new.butlins.com/discover-butlins/accommodation

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Are you serious ????? I've replied incase you are ……...

The link to the accommodation section is below. To be honest the new accommodation really is good - we stayed in the Bayside Apartments for 4 / 5 nights one Easter at Minehead and it was wonderful ! Very modern, huge sea views with parking and right on the sea front. Very nice. I imagine that the basic accommodation is just that - very basic !!!

Only had half board once at Skegness and would never do it again --- really not impressed and the times were ridiculous. There is a food area though for those who are self catering if they want to eat on site and they are ok from what I remember.

No turn down though or chocolates on your pillows …. but there is no longer that annoying tannoy waking you up at silly o'clock for first sitting. (I was scarred for life at the age of 7 after that …….)

Am I really writing a review of Butlins on here ????? :classic_biggrin: :classic_blink: :classic_laugh:

https://new.butlins.com/discover-butlins/accommodation

I am serious, yes - so thanks for the information.  I had a feeling that Butlins might have changed considerably over recent years, so maybe as Butlins has been going further upmarket and P&O has been going further downmarket the two might actually have met somewhere in the middle.

My only experience was as a kid at Clacton, a long time ago - and I loved it.  Not sure about my parents, though.  I'll have a look at Minehead - that was their last and newest, wasn't it?

10 minutes ago, docco said:

I am serious, yes - so thanks for the information.  I had a feeling that Butlins might have changed considerably over recent years, so maybe as Butlins has been going further upmarket and P&O has been going further downmarket the two might actually have met somewhere in the middle.

My only experience was as a kid at Clacton, a long time ago - and I loved it.  Not sure about my parents, though.  I'll have a look at Minehead - that was their last and newest, wasn't it?

Errr, not sure re that one. I do know that they have spent a lot of money on accommodation at Minehead over the last 2 / 3 years. When we went there there was an area that looked like Beirut (it was that bad) but that has all been demolished and I think it is now the area where the chalets around the lake area are. It is a lovely location - just a short walk in to Minehead town which is quaint and quiet. The Blu Sky Apartments were lovely - fair enough it was just 2 of us , but I can imagine that in early Summer (out of school holidays) they are really nice, very modern and with your own private parking. Hubby has just reminded me that we had maid service every day as well there … had forgotten about that. They were also far enough away from the main part of the site to be quiet but close enough to be able to get around easily. The kitchen was all equipped and was very modern - electronically controlled lighting of some kind and there were panoramic views from the lounge and bedroom on to the sea. Both the lounge and bedroom doors went on to a balcony with tables and chairs.

I would avoid some of the basic chalets as they aren't particularly good from what we saw --- and what we've experienced in the past ;-)

Edited by Presto2

When I was a kid in the 60’s and 70’s, we went to Butlins and I loved it. I wouldn’t go there nowadays if I was paid to. Currently we cruise with P&O. In a few decades time I suspect that we might be saying the same about P&O. Progress 😉