Need blood work during a cruise

MSTEG

This would be a question best posed to X directly as most of us would not know the extent of that type of medical work which can be performed or done aboard.

Is it possible to have this work completed, with advance notice of course, in one of the ports you will be visiting, unless it is a TA or TP?

bon voyage

17 minutes ago, hazelmaye said:

I know you can get blood work done on cruise, insurance will pay for  it.  Dr on ship can interrupt results and prescribe as needed, not to worry.

Is this on all Celebrity ships?  Do you need to make arrangements ahead of time or can you just go to the medical office with the lab order from your doctor?

If bloodwork is critical, I would absolutely, positively check before boarding to make sure it is available.  I am not saying it is not, but Celebrity can be very consistent with their inconsistency.  Just because someone got a doctor to do it on one cruise, does not mean all ships will or that the procedures haven't changed.  Definitely call Celebrity beforehand to discuss.  They have a Special Needs department - I would ask to speak to them.  

They can do things like checking INR levels on board. I had that done a few years ago. I recall it was $50 plus and would have been more if I had asked them to set the dosage of the blood thinner. I decided once I knew the reading that I could work the dose out myself. Only did it once as the test took a couple of minutes although waiting in the queue took about an hour

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

If bloodwork is critical, I would absolutely, positively check before boarding to make sure it is available.  I am not saying it is not, but Celebrity can be very consistent with their inconsistency.  Just because someone got a doctor to do it on one cruise, does not mean all ships will or that the procedures haven't changed.  Definitely call Celebrity beforehand to discuss.  They have a Special Needs department - I would ask to speak to them.  

I totally agree with the advice to call Celebrity Special Needs about something medically important, and not rely on what someone here says they were able to do in the past (which also may not be what you need). 

• Like 1

My husband and I had this same situation a few years ago, albeit not with this cruise line.  Just prior to a much longed for cruise, my man was injured.  Injury was all good, but next thing you know he had life threatening blood clots, and subsequently was being treated accordingly.  

As the departure day approached, he was deemed well enough to travel BUT had to fax in bloodwork every day, to adjust the blood thinners accordingly.   I called the cruise line, who called me back to confirm this was doable.  I confirmed it was covered by insurance and Bob’s your Uncle, great cruise had by all!

I sincerely hope you have similar results.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hazelmaye said:

I know you can get blood work done on cruise, insurance will pay for  it.  Dr on ship can interrupt results and prescribe as needed, not to worry.

That may or may not be true; it would depend entirely on one's own insurance policy!   Just because yours paid for it doesn't mean everyone's will.