Caribbean Princess Drydock

voljeep

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

hmmm ... we board on 5/15 ... not sure that's good, but we'll see ..

I am on that cruise too.  I did not know about the dry dock when I booked but would have anyway because Mom doesn't like to go for a week.  I have decided to just hope for the best.  Worst case we don't go and transfer the payment to our 3 day on the Sky next December.  I admit I am hoping it doesn't sell well and we get an upgrade.

26 minutes ago, flgojo said:

I am on that cruise too.  I did not know about the dry dock when I booked but would have anyway because Mom doesn't like to go for a week.  I have decided to just hope for the best.  Worst case we don't go and transfer the payment to our 3 day on the Sky next December.  I admit I am hoping it doesn't sell well and we get an upgrade.

same here - also on the 3 day SKY ... I'm 'kinda' hoping that the dry dock goes long and we get a MOVE OVER !! ...

the OBC of the cruise fare would pay for 1 PBP on a 7 day cruise ...:classic_biggrin:

41 minutes ago, flgojo said:

I am on that cruise too.  I did not know about the dry dock when I booked but would have anyway because Mom doesn't like to go for a week.  I have decided to just hope for the best.  Worst case we don't go and transfer the payment to our 3 day on the Sky next December.  I admit I am hoping it doesn't sell well and we get an upgrade.here 

I left here and had an email upgraded to a balcony woohoo!

51 minutes ago, Parrottdizes said:

Since it is a major dry dock, I believe that the Caribbean will be out of service for a month.......approximately April 13th to May 14th.  

this is correct per the Princess website ... Plan a Cruise

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

For those that are not aware........this is a major dry dock.

A hole will be cut in the hull to remove and replace a large piece of propulsion/electrical  machinery that has been causing cruising speed and schedule issues for a couple of years.

It's about time!

Where is this major drydock taking place ?

What happens to the crew during this month-long period?

just getting a little concerned ( not much as can't do anything about it but cancel ) if the 4 day cruise will be a 'shakedown' and with maintenance still going on ...

• Like 1

The big drydock is happening from 13th of April until 14th of May in Freeport on Grand Bahama.

Most of the crew stay on board, while some of them are sent home.

There shouldn't be any delays. No matter what, they will have to sail on the 14th of May.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 11:24 AM, voljeep said:

Congrats! - the balcony we booked was only $ 30 pp more than the interior across the hall ... no brainer ..

That's great.  Not what I can see for booking.

It will be interesting to see if the ship does come back into service on time.  I like you will be happy to take credit towards something else if it doesn't happen.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

On 1/31/2019 at 10:14 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

For those that are not aware........this is a major dry dock.

A hole will be cut in the hull to remove and replace a large piece of propulsion/electrical  machinery that has been causing cruising speed and schedule issues for a couple of years.

For those that don't know, when the ship leaves FLL on the 13th, (after disembarkation), enroute to Freeport, there are already plans to start disengaging the propeller shafts and other components associated with the  propulsion/electrical  machinery to help save time. They can get to the drydock using 1 system and won't really lose any time. Since this an equipment replacement and not a trouble shooting deal, I personally think they will be right on schedule for sailing on the 14th of May. Also, while in drydock, they will be installing a "Water Park Themed" venue up on Sky/Sun Deck area where the Splash Pool is presently located.

Hi Keith.:classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, cruisingpeople said:

For those that don't know, when the ship leaves FLL on the 13th, (after disembarkation), enroute to Freeport, there are already plans to start disengaging the propeller shafts and other components associated with the  propulsion/electrical  machinery to help save time. They can get to the drydock using 1 system and won't really lose any time. Since this an equipment replacement and not a trouble shooting deal, I personally think they will be right on schedule for sailing on the 14th of May. Also, while in drydock, they will be installing a "Water Park Themed" venue up on Sky/Sun Deck area where the Splash Pool is presently located.

Hi Keith.:classic_laugh:

Hey Joe!  :classic_ninja:

The upcoming dry dock I was told to replace the generator that they have not been able to repair.  Hopefully they will do other repairs to the ship during that time and since they make efficient use of all down time it is expected.  Some of the crew will be given time off while others will remain on the ship cleaning and other routine duties.  At least they will not have pax to stumble over in their work.  I was happy to see that Princess was finally going to bite the bullet and fix the CB properly.  We are booked on the CB next year after having been aboard last November.  All the cruises we wanted to take in the time we wanted to cruise has been on the CB.  It is a nice ship and we loved what they did to the ship in the last dry dock.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wondering if the incident at the Freeport drydock earlier this week and resulting damage to the facility may impact the Caribbean Princess? There are three drydock berths there, but would one being out of commission affect overall scheduling?

29 minutes ago, VaCruzers said:

Wondering if the incident at the Freeport drydock earlier this week and resulting damage to the facility may impact the Caribbean Princess? There are three drydock berths there, but would one being out of commission affect overall scheduling?

What incident?