Caribbean Princess Drydock

voljeep

15 hours ago, VaCruzers said:

Ouch!!!  We've never been on her or her sister, but have seen them frequently when at Port Everglades to get on a Princess ship.  Took me awhile to figure out what that was aft (Aqua Theater).  Wonder how bad the damage was to the starboard side that appears to have taken the brunt of the "fall".  Guess I'll go over to the Carnival board to find out.

6 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Ouch!!!  We've never been on her or her sister, but have seen them frequently when at Port Everglades to get on a Princess ship.  Took me awhile to figure out what that was aft (Aqua Theater).  Wonder how bad the damage was to the starboard side that appears to have taken the brunt of the "fall".  Guess I'll go over to the Carnival board to find out.

Royal Caribbean board not Carnival. Royal Caribbean has announced that the accident has damaged the dry dock itself. They have to move this giant ship to Spain to complete their work.

Wonder if this is the same dry dock facility that is Caribbean Princess was scheduled to use?

43 minutes ago, Kate P.C said:

The Caribbean Princess is still scheduled to go to dry dock on the 13th of April.

Is this an updated schedule since the accident or still the one that has been posted for some time ?

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

Royal Caribbean board not Carnival. Royal Caribbean has announced that the accident has damaged the dry dock itself. They have to move this giant ship to Spain to complete their work.

Wonder if this is the same dry dock facility that is Caribbean Princess was scheduled to use?

I was wondering the same thing. If it was, will they be able to do the work in one of the other locations ? Or perhaps have it repaired by then?

21 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Is this an updated schedule since the accident or still the one that has been posted for some time ?

I was wondering the same thing. If it was, will they be able to do the work in one of the other locations ? Or perhaps have it repaired by then?

April 13 is the previously posted schedule. Have not seen anything yet to change that date. I guess we will have to wait for Princess to advise.

7 minutes ago, Kate P.C said:

Ok. Now there are rumors it may be in wet dock...or relocate o a different port. Will let you know when I have more news.

How would wet dock be possible? They have to cut a hole in the side of the ship to repair the propulsion issues. Different dry dock port? maybe.

7 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

Ok. Now there are rumors it may be in wet dock...or relocate o a different port. Will let you know when I have more news.

How can they do a wet dock if they are cutting into the ship?!  

Appreciate all of your information and posts.  Please let us know if you get anymore news.

Per information from Caribbean Princess crew, I got off on March 30.  Yes, a big repair on the engine, kids water park on deck 16/17 aft and updating staterooms, pools and hot tubs.  

Well so far it seems like the ship is going to dry dock at the original port for 2 weeks, and then wet dock to a different port for another 2 weeks. Still, don't know what the other port will be. But this  may change too 🙂

Thank you for the information Kate P.C.  

Wasn’t the accident at dry dock #2 (the largest) at the shipyard? 

If the Caribbean Princess is still going to the same place for their dry dock and then another place for their wet dock, hopefully they won’t be impacted and will still be able to sail May 14. 

Hopefully Princess comes here with a comment like they did after the fire on Princess Cay!

• Like 1

Just off the Caribbean, drydock will also include replacing all of the cabins carpeting. I attached photos of the old carpeting and the new. (one cabin had the new carpet due to a recent flood in the cabin)

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

• Like 1

Was on the Caribbean Princess end of January and had one of the flooded cabins on Lido deck.  Happened last day of cruise, middle of the night.  Crew was very efficient in replacing carpet and taking care of us.  Only problem was could not enjoy the fresh smell of new carpeting for the majority of cruise.  Thoroughly enjoyed the ship, plan to cruise on it again next February.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been following the ships progress in the shipyard and it was never out of the water. They possibly built a cofferdam as they have done before. And as someone familiar to the buisnes said the propulsion problem could have been repaired that way.

They did the same thing on the Alure or Oasis of the seas a few years back, there is a video on U-tube. The ship is still there as of an hour ago but was positioned in the basin and not at a dock. Check MarineTraffic.com. Not sure there was an engine problem, just an issue with the azropod that actually  propels the ship. No modern cruise ships use direct drive diesel engines anymore. The engine/generators make power for the electric drive motors as a more efficient way of powering the ship. See ya on board Apr 14.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, ryansdad45 said:

Thanks for the pictures as we will be on her on the 14th

On 4/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, ryansdad45 said:

Thanks for the pictures as we will be on her on the 14th

These pictures are the Caribbean. In picture #4 there is a shot with Skywalkers in the background. Having been on both the Crown does not have a Skywalkers lounge.

37 minutes ago, rokwldr said:

I have been following the ships progress in the shipyard and it was never out of the water. They possibly built a cofferdam as they have done before. And as someone familiar to the buisnes said the propulsion problem could have been repaired that way.

They did the same thing on the Alure or Oasis of the seas a few years back, there is a video on U-tube. The ship is still there as of an hour ago but was positioned in the basin and not at a dock. Check MarineTraffic.com. Not sure there was an engine problem, just an issue with the azropod that actually  propels the ship. No modern cruise ships use direct drive diesel engines anymore. The engine/generators make power for the electric drive motors as a more efficient way of powering the ship. See ya on board Apr 14.

No Princess Ships have Azipods. It was an engine problem.

I had heard that to, but they were able to repair the problem in the water. It never went into drydock. Again possibly the use of a cofferdam if a cutout of the hull was needed. I can't find much on the type of propulsion except they may have fixed electric driven fixed pods with truster assistance. The Royal class ships use that system. To use direct drive requires a huge gear reducing set which takes up a lot of room, and these engines create in excess of 20,000 HP each. I will be on board May 14, I'm sure we will have a nice cruise.

1 hour ago, DDG 41 said:

No Princess Ships have Azipods. It was an engine problem.

1 hour ago, rokwldr said:

I had heard that to, but they were able to repair the problem in the water. It never went into drydock. Again possibly the use of a cofferdam if a cutout of the hull was needed. I can't find much on the type of propulsion except they may have fixed electric driven fixed pods with truster assistance. The Royal class ships use that system. To use direct drive requires a huge gear reducing set which takes up a lot of room, and these engines create in excess of 20,000 HP each. I will be on board May 14, I'm sure we will have a nice cruise.

It was not an "engine" problem, nor was it an azipod problem.  The Princess ships have traditional shafted propellers that are powered by electric motors inside the ship.  These motors have dual windings in them, so that two different power feeds from the main power bus can each feed half the power to the motor.  This redundancy allows for a failure of one of the motor windings, or of the variable frequency drives used to convert the 60Hz power generated by the diesel generators, to a variable frequency AC power to allow the electric propulsion motors to operate at variable speeds.  CP suffered the failure of one winding in one propulsion motor (so 1/4 of her propulsion power), and this winding needed to be replaced.  This was obviously done, as I thought it might be, while in the water, with just a large hole cut in the hull above the water line to get the winding out and in.  It was probably determined that even in a drydock, the clearance to the dock walls would be too close to accomplish this, so they decided to do it at a layberth, where they could slack the ship away from the dock as needed when lifting the large winding out and back in, not to mention the cost savings of layberth over drydock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It was not an "engine" problem, nor was it an azipod problem.  The Princess ships have traditional shafted propellers that are powered by electric motors inside the ship.  These motors have dual windings in them, so that two different power feeds from the main power bus can each feed half the power to the motor.  This redundancy allows for a failure of one of the motor windings, or of the variable frequency drives used to convert the 60Hz power generated by the diesel generators, to a variable frequency AC power to allow the electric propulsion motors to operate at variable speeds.  CP suffered the failure of one winding in one propulsion motor (so 1/4 of her propulsion power), and this winding needed to be replaced.  This was obviously done, as I thought it might be, while in the water, with just a large hole cut in the hull above the water line to get the winding out and in.  It was probably determined that even in a drydock, the clearance to the dock walls would be too close to accomplish this, so they decided to do it at a layberth, where they could slack the ship away from the dock as needed when lifting the large winding out and back in, not to mention the cost savings of layberth over drydock.

As always, I enjoy your explanations. Question.