Do you leave unused toiletries and such behind?

aflyingbuttress

41 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not my place to second guess what the OP does. But what I do know is what the OP posted. This is exactly what the OP said in her original post. "Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward?"  Pretty clear to me. I would hope any used toiletries are thrown away by the person using them (or by the person in charge of cleaning the room).  No matter if they are supplied by the cruise line, hotel or by the guest. If brought from home throw them away regardless if used or not. Items like that should never be left behind and assuming someone may like to have them. 

Now I am kind of wondering about the dish soap.  Do people really bring their own dish soap and wash dishes in their cabin sink?

1 minute ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Now I am kind of wondering about the dish soap.  Do people really bring their own dish soap and wash dishes in their cabin sink?

I brought dish soap because we got the beverage package that came with the soda cups for the freestyle coke machines. It was an 8 day cruise and I wanted to be able to clean my cup while onboard. But I ended up only using the cup a few times because I was sick and in quarantine for half the cruise. 

Just now, davekathy said:

My Magic 8 Ball says, "very doubtful". I believe OP meant a bar of hand soap that fits in a soap dish. 

No. I meant dish soap. I didn’t want to drink from a cup that hadn’t been washed for 8 days. That’s a great way to spread sickness and germs. Unfortunately I got sick anyway. 

1 minute ago, aflyingbuttress said:

No. I meant dish soap. I didn’t want to drink from a cup that hadn’t been washed for 8 days. That’s a great way to spread sickness and germs. Unfortunately I got sick anyway. 

I read your last post after I posted. So I deleted what I said. While we've got you on the line, what did you exactly mean when you said in your original post "unused"? 

I wasn’t doing dishes or anything lol.

We did not leave anything behind in the end. For the record I was talking about unopened, unused, travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap, and dish soap. All sealed. It was not instead of a tip or meant as a gift. I was just thinking of not being wasteful and possibly helpful. However, I realized that it could possibly not be helpful which is why I asked the question in the first place, as mentioned in my very first post. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

I wasn’t doing dishes or anything lol.

We did not leave anything behind in the end. For the record I was talking about unopened, unused, travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap, and dish soap. All sealed. It was not instead of a tip or meant as a gift. I was just thinking of not being wasteful and possibly helpful. However, I realized that it could possibly not be helpful which is why I asked the question in the first place, as mentioned in my very first post. 

Thank you for clearing that up for a few posters. However I already knew that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aflyingbuttress said:

Weve left her tons of cash and will leave her more when we disembark. Just to be clear that I wasn’t planning this as a tip replacement. I just thought if it was true that they will use them then I would leave it. But if not then I won’t. 

Good intentions.  Just simply ask your cabin steward if he can use the toiletries.  If he says "yes", then give it to him, if not, throw them away.  (If you've already disembarked, please let us know what you did.) Hope you had a wonderful cruise. :classic_smile:

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thank you for clearing that up for a few posters. However I already knew that. 

I know you did. 😂 it never even occurred to me people would mistake unused for partially used lol

2 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Good intentions.  Just simply ask your cabin steward if he can use the toiletries.  If he says "yes", then give it to him, if not, throw them away.  (If you've already disembarked, please let us know what you did.) Hope you had a wonderful cruise. :classic_smile:

We didn’t end up asking her. We took them with us. I saw someone’s comment about donating them to a shelter and I thought that was a good idea. We did leave our cabin steward a big tip. She was great anf I think her job was a bit harder because we got sick and were quarantined for several days. So she kept having to clear dishes. I hate having people clean up after me like that so we pretty much threw her a $10 every time she had to clear them lol.

I know  the OP clarified, but I also questioned until then if unused was unopened or the unused portion of an open bottle, could have gone either way.  Online it is often hard to tell what someone intends which is why we all need to be very careful in the words we use.  Assumptions are easy to make and unfortunately often incorrect.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Wow.

Getting sick, being quarantined, doing dishes, throwing around $10 bills, wasting  time on Cruise Critic defending yourself to strangers...

Doesn't sound like much of a fun vacation to me. 

It wasn’t fun. Well, the first 4 days were, then it was all downhill from there. As for defending myself on cruise critic, I had nothing better to do while trapped in my cabin lol. 

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not my place to second guess what the OP does. But what I do know is what the OP posted. This is exactly what the OP said in her original post. "Just wondering if people leave things like unused travel shampoo and dish soap, etc behind for the cabin steward?"  Pretty clear to me. I would hope any used toiletries are thrown away by the person using them (or by the person in charge of cleaning the room).  No matter if they are supplied by the cruise line, hotel or by the guest. If brought from home throw them away regardless if used or not. Items like that should never be left behind and assuming someone may like to have them. 

Used toiletries don't need to be thrown away..... unless one squeezes the shampoo out of their hair. puts it back in the bottle and repeat.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Would you use partially used toiletries left in a hotel room by the last guest?  No, you wouldn't because not only do you have your preferences, you don't know what really is in that bottle.  

Do NOT click if you are very squeamish:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4526306/httpwww-dailystar-co-uknewslatest-news494220women-love-dictators-killer-tyrants/

3 hours ago, akcruz said:

if unused was unopened or the unused portion of an open bottle, could have gone either way.

I'm sorry, but I agree that "unused" means unopened.  Once you open shampoo, it's "used".  Even if you didn't actually take any product out of the container.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm sorry, but I agree that "unused" means unopened.  Once you open shampoo, it's "used".  Even if you didn't actually take any product out of the container.

Not disagreeing but can 100% see where some can say if you open a container and don't finish it, the rest is unused.  The OP would have gotten a much better response if they started off with unopened instead of unused, that's all I am trying to say.  Again unless you are VERY specific, the written word is up for interpretation and in this case there are two valid interpretations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Used toiletries don't need to be thrown away..... unless one squeezes the shampoo out of their hair. puts it back in the bottle and repeat.

In you're opinion. Is that what you do when you are on a cruise or land vacation?  Give it up. You're really stretching it now. The OP has clarified her post for you. Not sure why you are having such a difficult time understanding that. The cruise lines we cruise with have wrapped bar soap in the stateroom bathrooms and we always bring our own shampoo and body lotion.  

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

In you're opinion. Is that what you do when you are on a cruise or land vacation?  Give it up. You're really stretching it now. The OP has clarified her post for you. Not sure why you are having such a difficult time understanding that. The cruise lines we cruise with have wrapped bar soap in the stateroom bathrooms and we always bring our own shampoo and body lotion.  

Shampoo jokes over your head??  

18 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Shampoo jokes over your head??  

Based on your other posts your attempt at being funny did go over my head. 😜 I was being sarcastic. But seriously even though I don't know you I really didn't believe you would do anything that disgusting. 

Edited by davekathy

59 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Based on your other posts your attempt at being funny did go over my head. 😜 I was being sarcastic. But seriously even though I don't know you I really didn't believe you would do anything that disgusting. 

Since you were lecturing, I didn't think you got the point that used shampoo goes down the drain

23 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Since you were lecturing, I didn't think you got the point that used shampoo goes down the drain

Not lecturing. Just stating the obvious. Ok I'll play.  Possibly from your attempt at being funny I envisioned you squeezing some of the shampoo you were rinsing out of your hair into the bottle to use at another time. Maybe you're frugal. 

Edited by davekathy