Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

I hope what is really important here is that Princess can hear that many of us do appreciate having two chairs in our rooms for two adults and a small table. We use them for a variety of reasons. 

I like to be able to sit up straight in a chair and do not always want to flop on the bed. Certainly not when having a drink or food. The beds will get food spilled on them and the edges will break down faster if we have to use them for sitting. We do like to use our room to read and relax.   Of course we also enjoy the other locations on board too. 

For those who don’t wish to use them or tuck them away then no harm done to anyone else.
  • Like 1

Is it possible that the chair and/or table removal is Princess' response to some or many passenger complaints? Perhaps Princess has received comments that cabins are too crowded with stuff, too small, etc.  Well, and if tables are disappearing, that may be due to stewards reporting them stowed out of the way in the closet.

Remember that only a small number of cruisers post on this site ... and Princess may be responding to different squeaky wheels

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 2

I was thinking of booking a balcony cabin on a longer cruise to make it more affordable.  I guess I'll look at another line, even though we are elite.  We would use the barrel chair.  In fact, we will no longer stay in the Hilton Garden Inns because on our last two stays all they had was a desk chair and a bed.  People need somewhere to sit other than the bed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Or, you could always use the balcony chairs just as you would if you were eating out on the balcony.  Just a thought.  We usually grab an extra pool towel to place over the balcony chairs if they are on the dirty side from being outside.  

And,  as far as that little table, I was thinking of the ones they have on Celebrity ... those ones are obnoxious.  These little ones that Princess has (had?) are actually quite useful and they fit well in that little corner space.  We always use it for our used dishes.  I might actually miss the little table;  I misspoke.  

If you cannot afford or do not want to spend the money on a balcony (early cruise to Alaska gets a bit chilly out on a balcony) two fairs paid should at least let the two of you sit down together without using the bed.  Without the table all our stuff will end up on the desk therefore room service tray goes on the bed.  When you fill out your pre-cruise information they ask if you want robes how about table and chair.  Seems like they are just cutting back on costs at the expense of the standard cabins.

17 hours ago, Dunk said:

I was on the Ruby last month-no chair. The cabin steward said that they had been removed “for safety”, and to make more room. We asked for another chair, and he brought another desk chair. Not as comfortable as a barrel chair, but at least we had a place to sit. 

I really feel feel like it’s a cost savings for them. The chairs are always beat up, and rather than spend the money refinishing/reupholstering them, get rid of them. It may seem like a small thing, but if I’m on a “premium” cruise line, I don’t want to sit on a bed to eat a meal or sip a cocktail. I sent an email to Princess expressing my displeasure. 

They often use the term "for your safety" when they make unannounced changes to cabins. 

When they took foot stools and loungers off the balconies it was "for passenger safety."

More room for what?  To do yoga?

We take 20 and 30 days cruises and there can be periods of time, because of bad weather, that balconies and other outdoor areas are not useable.  I hope they have enough places for 3,000 plus passengers to sit in the public area because they removed chairs from their staterooms.  

Princess seems to be getting sneakier and less transparent in all of the cost cutting measures it is doing that IMHO will not enhance my cruise experience on Princess.

They might as well take out the toilet seats so the room stewards have to spend less time cleaning.....everyone knows how to squat I think!!

17 hours ago, Dunk said:

I was on the Ruby last month-no chair. The cabin steward said that they had been removed “for safety”, and to make more room. We asked for another chair, and he brought another desk chair. Not as comfortable as a barrel chair, but at least we had a place to sit. 

I really feel feel like it’s a cost savings for them. The chairs are always beat up, and rather than spend the money refinishing/reupholstering them, get rid of them. It may seem like a small thing, but if I’m on a “premium” cruise line, I don’t want to sit on a bed to eat a meal or sip a cocktail. I sent an email to Princess expressing my displeasure. 

They often use the term "for your safety" when they make unannounced changes to cabins. 

When they took foot stools and loungers off the balconies it was "for passenger safety."

More room for what?  To do yoga?

We take 20 and 30 days cruises and there can be periods of time, because of bad weather, that balconies and other outdoor areas are not useable.  I hope they have enough places for 3,000 plus passengers to sit in the public area because they removed chairs from their staterooms.  

Princess seems to be getting sneakier and less transparent in all of the cost cutting measures it is doing that IMHO will not enhance my cruise experience on Princess.

They might as well take out the toilet seats so the room stewards have to spend less time cleaning.....everyone knows how to squat I think!!

In Aug. 2018, I was on the Sapphire for 2 weeks in an small Inside cabin.  I travel solo & an Inside (100% single supplement) is all my budget allows.

I had only the desk chair; fortunately, I had  the little table because I have room service each morning.  It was still a tight squeeze.  [Same on the Crown in March.]

I like to read in the evening so each night I took my kindle to Horizon Court & found a nook in which to read. It was usually peaceful & comfortable, but I would have preferred the comfort of a chair & my PJs in my cabin.

Maybe when I'm on the Caribbean this Aug., I'll wear my robe & slippers to the HC & read. Or get one of the folding arm chairs from outside the HC.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, darknightsdespiser said:

My thoughts exactly; who wants to be in a room long enough to sit in a chair!!

Not everyone wants or can be on the go 24/7 while on a cruise.  Some like to relax in their cabins for either personal or medical reasons. 

• Like 2

My husband likes to sit in the barrel chair while I'm getting ready for dinner.  Much

more comfortable than the desk chair.   I also like the small table.  I get my excursion

items ready in my bag for the next day, and then I just have to grab it, and it's not in

my way.

• Like 1

we book mini suites, so am still okay with cabin.  Do think the approach is to make cabins less enjoyable so passengers spend more time in money making venues on board, i.e the small balconies on the royal class.  It is all about money.  Probably less costs in fuel if you lighten the load with removing furniture too. 

• Like 1

No matter what they do, they're not going to please 100% of people.

We're at the point where we primarily book inside cabins.  I would actually prefer if they would remove the chair at the desk.  Have never used it.  On our cruise last month on the Regal they had removed the little round table which I was glad since we would always put in the closet area. 

We never order room service so table/chair(s) aren't important.  We don't spend much time in the cabin.

When we stayed in a balcony room in the past, I don't recall using the inside chair much and found the little round table to be in the way and useless.  Guess I'm in the minority.

• Like 1

I have been on 21 Princess cruises and I do enjoy much of the Princess product. I must say that when I went on my first Princess cruise I was surprised that there was no small couch in the inside room like on my other cruises. If Princess wants to keep their customers as they age they better do a better job of making it more comfortable for back problems and other problems.

I recently ended my Pacific Princess cruise. All of the pictures I had seen before the cruise showed a small couch in all rooms. I was looking forward to the couch in the room. When entering my room I found that they had changed out the small couch for a chair.

Princess keeps making changes for their bottom line and not for their passengers. I have probably taken my last cruise on Princess. It’s too bad but I have finally gotten totally fed up with all of the negative Princess changes.

13 minutes ago, TwoCruisers said:

I have been on 21 Princess cruises and I do enjoy much of the Princess product. I must say that when I went on my first Princess cruise I was surprised that there was no small couch in the inside room like on my other cruises. If Princess wants to keep their customers as they age they better do a better job of making it more comfortable for back problems and other problems.

I recently ended my Pacific Princess cruise. All of the pictures I had seen before the cruise showed a small couch in all rooms. I was looking forward to the couch in the room. When entering my room I found that they had changed out the small couch for a chair.

Princess keeps making changes for their bottom line and not for their passengers. I have probably taken my last cruise on Princess. It’s too bad but I have finally gotten totally fed up with all of the negative Princess changes.

I hope you will send an email expressing your concerns. 

Why not put the table and/or barrel chair option on Cruise Personalizer? Like a bathrobe, personal preference. I'm sure Princess is smart enough to be able to store them. Eventually, they'd probably come up with some algorithm to estimate the number of chairs needed.

I was considering upgrading to a balcony from my obstructed view cabin that has no obstruction but if there is no longer a chair it wouldn’t be worth it to me so I will stay where I am on Upcoming Mexico cruise. 

I have booked mini mini suites ,but usually in the Carribean where they do not cost a lot more. Now primarily Cruise Europe where Mini suite prices can be thousands more per person. Just not worth it. I am paying $2600 pp on Norway-cruise in July. Balcony’s are 5k and were close to that when I booked. Minis south of 6 k pp. 

it seems if if you are on a cruise with fewports costs are dramatically lower. It’s all supply and demand. 

I will I’ll probably find a chair some where on the ship and bring it to my cabin 

14 minutes ago, crawford said:

Why not put the table and/or barrel chair option on Cruise Personalizer? Like a bathrobe, personal preference. I'm sure Princess is smart enough to be able to store them. Eventually, they'd probably come up with some algorithm to estimate the number of chairs needed.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

FWIW........I would venture to say they did not/will not keep those chairs onboard.

Space is premium on a cruise ship and the chairs would take up massive amounts of space.

If they took them out they are gone for good IMO.

Not only do I like the privacy of my room at certain times but it isn't always easy to find other places to sit.  Some people like to spend time in their rooms and it spreads everyone around the ship rather than crowded into public spaces.  The public areas can be very busy and noisy, or too dark to read comfortably.   Go find a chair by any pool that isn't reserved by towels or a spot in the atrium, especially if an event is happening.  We enjoy the public spaces and activities too but there is no reason that we should not be comfortable in our own room if we choose to spend time in our space.  I just wish there could be a way to provide chairs and tables to those who would like them - they have been in the rooms for years without issue.  And we can't all afford bigger suites just to get more furniture.

• Like 6

I have been following this thread for the last few days and now seems the time to express my opinions about what I consider to be the decline in the Princess "product".  Some may agree and I'm sure many will take issue but these are my thoughts.

Let me begin by saying we have been Loyal and Proud members of the Captain’s Circle for about 12 years.  Our first cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess on a seven day Caribbean cruise.  We were impressed with the size of the ship, the wonderful selection of entertainment in numerous venues, great food and our wonderful balcony cabin.  However, what impressed us most was the friendliness and competency of the crew.  This one aspect of the Princess product is what has kept us coming back for 37 cruises since that time.  Our cruises have ranged from 2 to 32 day voyages in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, trans-atlantics, Panamas and Tahiti.

Since our first cruise we have witnessed a decrease in the appeal of the product.  Following is a series of events which we believe have lessened the enjoyment of the Princess product to the point where we are considering taking alternative forms of vacation:

•      The introduction of the Royal Princess.  Following great fanfare this ship was a huge dis-appointment.  Let me state the shortcomings that come to mind:

·        The largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        The loss of the walk around promenade.

·        The loss of the aft pool

·        Both main pools adjacent

·        Useless water feature

·        Main theater without side isles.

·        No center staircase

·        Princess Live.

·        Vista lounge seating.

·        Loss of Wheelhouse lounge.

·        Loss of Skywalkers.

·        Did I mention the largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        Continuing to introduce more of this class of ship

Note:  It is obvious that Princess noted some of these deficiencies since they attempted to correct some with the launch of subsequent ships of this class.

2.      Next came the butchering of the Island Princess

3.      The balcony furniture on the fleet was progressively replaced with less comfortable furniture.

4.      Balcony furniture went from 4 chairs to two without ottomans.  The large table was replaced with a small one barely large enough to hold two drinks.

5.      The Platinum/Elite lounge drink selection was changed to very unappealing choices.

6.      Increased drink prices and the loss of the Silver level wine card.

7.      A decrease in the quality and sophistication of the menu items in the dining rooms.

8.      Now the latest, the removal of the tub chair and table from the cabins.  Where am I to sit while my SO does her hair and makeup?  Dumb and dumber!

9.      Inconsistency of policy and practices between ships.

Enough complaining.  We have enjoyed our 37 Princess cruises and in fact have five more booked in the next 18 months.  As I stated at the outset what keeps us returning, avoiding the Royal class where possible, are the crew members.  From the bridge to the engine room they are outstanding.  However, changes to our travel plans are on the horizon.

Edited by louden
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1