Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

It's a detriment and it's a needed,.  Just off the Sun Princess.  The chair was always in the way but we needed a place to sit down.  However, there was a small bench tucked under the desk which we never used.  I like the sit down factor versus a seat under the desk we never used.  Get rid of the seat and put the chair where the seat is.  JMHO

6 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I was on the Crown in Oct in the med and for the TA back to FLL. I CAN TELL YOU THE BARREL CHAIR WAS REMOVED AND WE WERE NOT GIVEN ANY OPTION TO GET ONE BACK EITHER. I was in a basic balcony cabin mid-aft on Baja deck.  IMO Princess is getting pretty ridiculous with their cutbacks.  Will it ever stop?  IT IS NOT "much ado about nothing"

Only "ado" if you cruise another line other than Princess.  We might be headed that way, it's good to experience different cruise lines which we are eager to try.

7 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I CAN TELL YOU THE BARREL CHAIR WAS REMOVED AND WE WERE NOT GIVEN ANY OPTION TO GET ONE BACK EITHER. 

This is a cruise ship, not a hotel. There is no basement full of old furniture. Those chairs are gone, period. I'm just guessing that if requested they could locate a straight back chair for your cabin.

This is soooo interesting. I sailed on the Grand to Hawaii in October and the first thing I noticed when I entered the room was no little “barrel” chair. I called the PSD and was told that the chair had been removed for my “safety”.  Really?  My friends and I love to get together sometimes just to have a drink or play games.....always using both the extra chair and little round table.  Also, Princess has got to be smart enough to know that having a couple chairs saves wear and tear on the beds.  Their highly touted new beds are already breaking down badly......because people have no option but to flop on the bed.  I mentioned it in my post-cruise survey, of course.  I also emailed Ms. Swartz with my comments and was pleasantly surprised to get a personal phone call from a young lady in her office.  What she said was the part that really disturbed me.  She told me that there has never been a second chair in any cabin category lower than a balcony. Sorry, I hit some button and now can’t get rid of the italics😲.  It took me all of about 5 minutes to look on the internet and find dozens of cabin pics showing the little round-back chair...which I promptly sent on directly to her.  The thing that really upset me is that they were in essence telling me that it was actually my fault.....I was just imagining the chair.  Again, really?  I guess a whole lot of other people imagined the chair too.........

We are on Majestic (NZ cruise) and I had not really thought about it, but our "sideways" Inside cabin does not have the small round table.  That said, we always stuck it in the closet area anyway, as some others have said.  As far as I know, Insides never had a barrel chair???  I have not heard anyone mention it and I might stay attuned to anything and perhaps ask Stewart tomorrow what he knows.  Anyway, not terribly missed by us.  

We are on Majestic (SYD to NZ) and I hadn't registered this thought - or at least didn't think about it.  We have no round table in our "sideways" Inside.  Insides didn't have the barrel chair.  We often stuck the table in the closet area.  We did have it out last winter on Island.  Anyway, we aren't missing it.  I will have to take a peak in a Balcony room when being cleaned and see what furniture is there.  Have not heard anyone mention it, but I think this cruise has a lot of first-timers from Australia and not likely Princess experts.

12 hours ago, dchip said:

We are on the Royal Princess right now. There isn't a chair and the table was already in the closet. I am missing the chair. While I admit it got in the way, it was very useful for reading, watching tv, or watching the world go by outside. I don’t think they are going to come back. 

Cheers, Denise

If you're in your room watching the world go by or reading it means you're not out spending money somewhere on the ship. 😉

• Like 3

14 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I assume that the chair in question is the blue one in front of the sliding door in the picture, below, and the table is the little one with the glass top between the TV and the wall hanging on the right.

default-balcony-1600.jpg

Hmmm.  I think we will miss the little table more than the chair.  We usually leave plates/utensils/glasses/napkins from snacks and room service meals on that little table for the steward to remove when he provides service.  We are going to be cruising on the Ruby Princess in April in a balcony cabin such as the one in this picture.  I guess we'll find out in April.

I did just think of another thing.  We enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, and, typically, have it while we are at sea.  Since the balcony is, usually, quite windy while the ship is moving at sea, we set up in the room.  The room service staff does bring a table for the UBD, and we use the two chairs that are in the cabin.  I, personally, would not like to have one person sit at the edge of the bed for that, otherwise, elegant dinner.  I assume that the room service staff would, then, also have to bring a second chair.

Or, you could always use the balcony chairs just as you would if you were eating out on the balcony.  Just a thought.  We usually grab an extra pool towel to place over the balcony chairs if they are on the dirty side from being outside.  

And,  as far as that little table, I was thinking of the ones they have on Celebrity ... those ones are obnoxious.  These little ones that Princess has (had?) are actually quite useful and they fit well in that little corner space.  We always use it for our used dishes.  I might actually miss the little table;  I misspoke.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

We are on Majestic (NZ cruise) and I had not really thought about it, but our "sideways" Inside cabin does not have the small round table.  That said, we always stuck it in the closet area anyway, as some others have said.  As far as I know, Insides never had a barrel chair???  I have not heard anyone mention it and I might stay attuned to anything and perhaps ask Stewart tomorrow what he knows.  Anyway, not terribly missed by us.  

Come to think of it, I think you are right about the inside cabins .... there is really no room for a chair in those staterooms.  The regular (non-sideways) insides just have a long desk against one wall and the headboard of the bed against the other wall.  They really utilize every bit of space in those cabins and are furnished with only the bare necessities.  I can't remember if those even have a small table ... as the counter across from the bed is much larger than in the OV or balcony cabins.  

Although the barrel chair got in the way at times, it was nice to sit in rather than

the desk chair or the bed. Geez, I'll be on the Emerald next month with, apparently, no

barrel chair.  If my cabin steward can' t replace the chair,  DH and I will carry all the 

chairs from the laundry room into the cabin and stack them up until we need them. 

Childish, yes, but when I booked this cruise it showed a barrel chair in the cabin.  I didn't receive any notification if I choose to cancel because of the inconvenience.  I wonder what they will do with the thousands of chairs they take off the ships.  

Last night on the show Dear or No Deal, Princess gave a cruise away for approximately $25,000.  I no it doesn't sound like much when Princess is worth lots, but it is annoying that they are cutting back for passengers and giving cruises away.

Pam

22 minutes ago, EightFurryPaws said:

If my cabin steward can' t replace the chair,  DH and I will carry all the 

chairs from the laundry room into the cabin and stack them up until we need them. 

Childish, yes, but when I booked this cruise it showed a barrel chair in the cabin.

It certainly is childish.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

How thoughtful of you to take the seating from the laundry room. This is the exact type of behavior that's had me wanting to leave mass market cruising (and cruisers) behind. 

Totally agree with you.  There is always those kind of PAXs on mass market cruise lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

How thoughtful of you to take the seating from the laundry room. This is the exact type of behavior that's had me wanting to leave mass market cruising (and cruisers) behind. 

For those complaining about a missing chair, why not get 250 lb magnets for the metal walls and bring a hammock with you and hang it over the twin beds?

Howard

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

ok, I remember the small table and desk chair ...

can/will someone post a pic of this "barrel chair" that is upsetting the masses ...

default-balcony-1600.jpg

20 minutes ago, voljeep said:

ok, I remember the small table and desk chair ...

can/will someone post a pic of this "barrel chair" that is upsetting the masses ...

• Thanks 1